mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
If you are not on insulin, there is no DVLA requirement to test prior to driving and every 2 hours thereafter. I still believe those on Glic should test but those are the rules. The disadvantage is not everyone gets strips prescribed but there is also no license restriction to worry about.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
You certainly need to test regularly as a way to know how you react to foods in your diet. 1 month of test strips is a joke to get a handle on that. I am 15 years in and it is not as much of an issue for me now although I always have my strips for when I need them. Part of the Diabetes National Framework is about partnership in care and your GP should be thankful that they have a patient who wants to be an active partner.

I hope you have applied for and received your exemption certificate so that you will get all prescriptions free.

Regards

Doug

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are not on insulin, there is no DVLA requirement to test prior to driving and every 2 hours thereafter. I still believe those on Glic should test but those are the rules. The disadvantage is not everyone gets strips prescribed but there is also no license restriction to worry about.

Yo need to read link I put up earlier as it states there is a DVLA requirement to test

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

naquada

The Governments website (https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving) states -

Diabetes treated by Sulphonylureas or Glinide tablets (or both)
Car or motorcycle licence

You don’t need to tell DVLA. Read leaflet INF188/2 to find out more about driving with diabetes.

The DLVA info sheet - INF188/2 doesnt mention testing regularly during a trip or before..

so very confused...!!! :(

naquada

Just spoke to DLVA about this to clear it up...

If you are on diet or tablets (as per INF188 document)

Be sensible... its a good idea to test before a long trip.. and test during that trip.. keep supplies on hand should you need to manage your levels

you do not need to let them know if you are on tablets only or diet only (as per INF188) unless you have had hypo's requiring third party assistance

naquada

Thanks for that, so, no legal requirement to test.

nope.. no legal requirement as far as they were concerned.... its the old 'should' vs 'must' i.e. you should (sensibly) test before and during a longer journey... but there is no - you 'must' (legal requirement) test before and during a journey...

I'm off to cornwall soon.. which is a good few hours drive... i'll test before.. and a few times during the trip when i take normal breaks.. and keep my stash of emergency supplies in the front of the car with my wife...

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So if that's the case I keep finding documents stating this

Furthermore the DVLA requires some treatment groups to carry out testing for safety reasons (10): Group 1 (cars, motorcycles) and Group 2 (lorries/passenger carrying vehicles) licence holders on insulin are required to carry out appropriate blood glucose monitoring at least twice daily and 2 hourly during a long period of driving using a meter with memory function. Group 1 holders managed by tablets which carry a risk of causing hypoglycaemia (this includes sulphonylureas and prandial glucose regulators) - the DVLA stipulates that it may be appropriate to monitor blood glucose regularly and at times relevant to driving to enable the detection of hypoglycaemia.

Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
So if that's the case I keep finding documents stating this

Furthermore the DVLA requires some treatment groups to carry out testing for safety reasons (10): Group 1 (cars, motorcycles) and Group 2 (lorries/passenger carrying vehicles) licence holders on insulin are required to carry out appropriate blood glucose monitoring at least twice daily and 2 hourly during a long period of driving using a meter with memory function. Group 1 holders managed by tablets which carry a risk of causing hypoglycaemia (this includes sulphonylureas and prandial glucose regulators) - the DVLA stipulates that it may be appropriate to monitor blood glucose regularly and at times relevant to driving to enable the detection of hypoglycaemia.

The difference is the wording.
"may be appropriate to monitor blood glucose".
This is different to insulin users where you MUST test prior, a legal requirement. I'm not saying I agree with it, I think those on Gliclazide should have to test as there is a risk of hypo but the DVLA deem the risk negligible.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's fair enough, but I have read in other document that if on hypo causing drugs and in an accident and you haven't tested you can be prosecuted for not testing and fit to drive so as I said it is very unlear and vague

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
That's fair enough, but I have read in other document that if on hypo causing drugs and in an accident and you haven't tested you can be prosecuted for not testing and fit to drive so as I said it is very unlear and vague

That's the trouble with the internet unfortunately, lots of misleading links and information out there but not all of it correct and up to date. The DVLA often change medical guidelines but you can still find old ones out there. Best to stick with info on DVLA website to be sure. Again, I do actually agree with you and still think those on BG lowering tabs should test ! Take care :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
No probs mo however getting away from the driving thing a moment this is an interesting link I just found from the IDDT about self testing in type 2

http://iddt.org/about/living-with-diabetes/driving/fight-for-your-test-strips

Interesting link and I believe all diabetics, whatever meds, should have access to test strips on prescription. It's not all about driving but everyday living, eating and exercising. There have been numerous petitions but no luck as yet. Unfortunately, it may take something like an accident to happen caused by BG lowering tablets for the current DVLA guidelines to change. As usual, it's down to cost, which is wrong as it's a short term saving but a false economy when you think of the cost of possible complications down the line. The only drawback in the fight for the DVLA rule change to ensure testing for those on tablets is the risk that their licenses will be restricted.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wasn't so much thinking of driving but the point about all type 2 having testing strips supplied and the arguments to use