Tests for LADA/ Type 1.5

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Nosher, funny readings as I only ever get 4's when I've drunk wine, never when I'm low carbing. It's almost like you need to eat the carbs to get the pancreas to produce some insulin to push the bloods down. Usually when I low carb I sit around 5.3 to 6.6. Anyway, will post some lower carb readings more likely tomorrow as today isn't very 'normal' in terms of timing of meals (it' Sunday and didn't get up til 10 .. rude not to !)

Or maybe when I eat more carbs my pancreas goes into overdrive and produces too much insulin sometimes. Last fasting insulin one outside top of range.

Also Jenny Rhul's says normal blood sugars are:

Fasting blood sugarunder 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L)
One hour after meals under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L)
Two hours after meals under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L)

So given most of my one hour readings are above, what does this mean, bearing in mind I have not been diagnosed as being diabetic, only insulin resistant with GAD antibodies.

Hi Lesleywo
some of us just have higher fasting levels, mine vary from day to day. for example if i've had a good sleep, mine are in the low 4s.
if i have a disrupted night, mine are in the 5s. This morning 4.2. a bloody good kip!
I've noticed this pattern because i kept all my readings, and what i ate,
i was really low , low carb yesterday, no carbs treats at all. Maybe its a reward from my body for behaving myself!.
I think you may be looking for something that might not be there.
Only tests and your records will give you answers.
If you produced too much insulin, 3 things would happen, you would get a hypo after high carbs and you would feel rotten, and you would gradually put on weight.
If carbs affect you, why bother ?

Anything under 2mmols 2 hours after eating is good, anything over is bad.

Any fasting reading between 4-6 is normal. anything slightly over or under, i wouldn't worry too much about as long as you don't eat to many carbs

Reactions: 6 people

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi Lesleywo
some of us just have higher fasting levels, mine vary from day to day. for example if i've had a good sleep, mine are in the low 4s.
if i have a disrupted night, mine are in the 5s. This morning 4.2. a bloody good kip!
I've noticed this pattern because i kept all my readings, and what i ate,
i was really low , low carb yesterday, no carbs treats at all. Maybe its a reward from my body for behaving myself!.
I think you may be looking for something that might not be there.
Only tests and your records will give you answers.
If you produced too much insulin, 3 things would happen, you would get a hypo after high carbs and you would feel rotten, and you would gradually put on weight.
If carbs affect you, why bother ?

Anything under 2mmols 2 hours after eating is good, anything over is bad.

Any fasting reading between 4-6 is normal. anything slightly over or under, i wouldn't worry too much about as long as you don't eat to many carbs
Thanks Nosher for info, though I was talking about fasting insulin, not blood sugar! My fasting insulin is elevated, hence insulin resistance.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Jenny Rhul's says normal blood sugars are:

Fasting blood sugarunder 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L)
One hour after meals under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L)
Two hours after meals under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L)

Not sure about that
In her book I have (diet 101) she shows a graph of truly normal BG levels (chapter 1 under the heading - The Pattern of Truly Normal Blood Sugar). This shows very flat BG levels of 80 (4.4) within 2 hours after eating, with very Max peaks of 120 (6.6).
I wish I could upload the graph on here. Interesting to see, also much in agreement wit Dr Bernstein's 'normal' BG levels.

Reactions: 2 people

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Not sure about that
In her book I have (diet 101) she shows a graph of truly normal BG levels (chapter 1 under the heading - The Pattern of Truly Normal Blood Sugar). This shows very flat BG levels of 80 (4.4) within 2 hours after eating, with very Max peaks of 120 (6.6).
I wish I could upload the graph on here. Interesting to see, also much in agreement wit Dr Bernstein's 'normal' BG levels.
I have that book Ian so will check it out. Not read it in great depth yet. Thanks

Jache

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thank you all. Processing all the info...

Jache

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
I had exactly the same problem.... Losing weight (a common LADA symptom) with good BG levels.
I managed to put on around 7kg in 6 weeks (about 6 months ago) and have managed to retain my weight since, still with good BG levels.

The key is upping your calories without increasing carbs or protein. Too much protein will slowly increase your BG levels the answer, for me, is fat. I have a bullet proof coffee (30g butter, 30g coconut oil, and a little double cream = 500 calories) every morning after my two eggs and bacon breakfast. Salads with lots of mayonnaise. Fatty cuts of meat. I found the app 'My Fitness Pal' great for analysing and predicting food / weight. If you input a typical days food and drink consumption it will predict your weight, you can then tweak it by changing / adding things until it gives you the weight you want. I found it to be very, very accurate. Spot on in fact. The great thing is it breaks down everything into carbs, protein and fat. So you can see the % ratios. A good ratio seems to be around 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carb. That's what I aim for.

Before diagnosis I didn't much like fat, didn't like cream much.... Taste buds change, mine certainly have.

Edited to add... A little alcohol helps, calories with no carbs or protein. I find I can have a beer with food, this is around 200 calories.

Ian, what type of coffee do you use for bulletproof coffee? I found a website that uses herbal coffee and Chai tea. So am going to try those as my "coffee base" for a start. Also, when you use mayo for salad, do you add anything to the mayo to give it more flavour?

A number of people have been commenting that I"m getting skinnier and skinnier.

I gotta do something quick to put on some weight!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ian, what type of coffee do you use for bulletproof coffee? I found a website that uses herbal coffee and Chai tea. So am going to try those as my "coffee base" for a start. Also, when you use mayo for salad, do you add anything to the mayo to give it more flavour?

A number of people have been commenting that I"m getting skinnier and skinnier.

I gotta do something quick to put on some weight!

Hi Jache. When I had the weight loss problems, I started having a whole avocado with either shredded ham or bacon and a sprinkling of walnuts for breakfast - it did nothing to my BG but was full of calories.

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

Jache

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Smidge, did you add mash the avocado with a spoon? Did you add any "seasoning" to the avocado?

It definitely sounds doable though! And healthy too!

Thanks for the idea. Do you do bulletproof coffee too?

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I don't really think the type of coffee is important, it's what suits you, what you like. I use cafetiere decaf coffee.
Just Mayo.... Real mayo, not low fat / high carb.... We had lunch in a cafe today, cheese and ham salad, the only mayomtheynhad was 'healthy' low fat Mayo, but this was was 15g carb. No mayo on my salad today!!!
Avocado is good. I always have a small avocado with salad whenever I can. High fat, low carb. I think this is the only fruit Dr Bernstein says does not effect BG levels, certainly I can not detect anything.
A glass of red wine or a beer can also help.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Smidge, did you add mash the avocado with a spoon? Did you add any "seasoning" to the avocado?

It definitely sounds doable though! And healthy too!

Thanks for the idea. Do you do bulletproof coffee too?

I didn't use any seasoning, but the bacon or ham was quite salty. I didn't mash the avocado - just sliced it if I had time or scooped it out with a spoon if time was short. A handful of pumpkin seeds was good on it too - but they are a bit carby so go easy on them.

I've never tried bullet-proof coffee, but I always have cream in my coffee.

Smidge

P.s Pour an olive oil and vinegar dressing on your salads to add some more calories.