Thai/Oriental food impact

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Since starting on Libre, I have noticed that whenever I eat Thai or other Oriental food (noodle soup, rice bowls etc.) I always seem to spike quite heavily after 2 hours. I know a little bit about GI, but didn't think these kinds of food would be that low GI - am I wrong? Is anyone else struggling keeping levels under control with these dishes?

I'm MDI and take a single bolus, which initially seems to keep me stable but as I said I often spike quite steeply after two hours.

D

Deleted Account

I know rice is often quoted as high GI.
I think Jasmine rock has a higher GI than sugar!
I think this is why I feel hungry a couple of hours after eating a rice based meal.

There are many different types of noodles with different bases like wheat and rice
I guess each will have a different GI

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know rice is often quoted as high GI.
I think Jasmine rock has a higher GI than sugar!
I think this is why I feel hungry a couple of hours after eating a rice based meal.

There are many different types of noodles with different bases like wheat and rice
I guess each will have a different GI2

That's what I thought as well, but that would make me expect an immediate spike rather than one several hours later. I take my Novorapid with my food (no pre bolus) and it initially keeps perfectly steady for a few hours after eating and then suddenly shoots up later.

D

Deleted Account

That's what I thought as well, but that would make me expect an immediate spike rather than one several hours later. I take my Novorapid with my food (no pre bolus) and it initially keeps perfectly steady for a few hours after eating and then suddenly shoots up later.
Could be the fat in what you have with your/rice that slows down absorption and by rise.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also a good point and i guess that would be true for things like a Thai curry as it has a lot of coconut milk in, but sometimes I'll have a vegetable noodle broth which I wouldn't expect to be high in fat at all.

I've never really struggled with a lot of food but I just can't seem to crack this!

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also a good point and i guess that would be true for things like a Thai curry as it has a lot of coconut milk in, but sometimes I'll have a vegetable noodle broth which I wouldn't expect to be high in fat at all.

I've never really struggled with a lot of food but I just can't seem to crack this!

I'm currently on the diabetes IMAGE course and last week the dietician said if you're eating high carb and high fat foods, or food that takes a long time to digest to split your bolus. Take half 10/15 mins before and then take the next half 15 mins after? I haven't tried it yet, not sure if it works for everyone either

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently on the diabetes IMAGE course and last week the dietician said if you're eating high carb and high fat foods, or food that takes a long time to digest to split your bolus. Take half 10/15 mins before and then take the next half 15 mins after? I haven't tried it yet, not sure if it works for everyone either

Definitely true, I do this for pizza and pasta dishes and it works well for me. Might have to consider doing it for these ones but didn't expect to have to if that makes sense :)

quintel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely true, I do this for pizza and pasta dishes and it works well for me. Might have to consider doing it for these ones but didn't expect to have to if that makes sense :)

Exactly! The pizza and pasta makes sense to split to dose but I assumed Thai wasn't anywhere near as fatty as a pizza so it is a tricky one