That was scary

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Just going to bed last Wednesday at about 10.30pm when I felt my pulse was racing, I took my bp and it was 133/121 (bottom reading way high for me) and my pulse registered 165bpm, took it again a few mins later and recorded 132/115 pulse 176 bpm.

I suffered an SVT or "Superventricular tachycardia" to give it its full name about 8 years ago when I was diagnosed as diabetic, it was said to have been due to my then extended high blood glucose levels, my pulse on that occasion was 188, and they had to give me an injection that momentarily stopped my heart to get it back into sinus rhythm, luckily it worked as the next step would have meant a general anaesthetic and a defibrillator to sort me out.

With an SVT the two halves of the heart start to beat out of time with each other so to get enough oxygen round the body the heart is forced to work faster and harder, hence the increased pulse rates.

Anyway long story short, this time the A&E consultant massaged my neck (Carotid Sinus Massage) and this time it worked and my bp was soon back to normal or there abouts and after my bloods came back all OK they let me go home.

I slept like a proverbial baby when I finally got to bed at around 3.30 am and have been told that once you suffer one SVT you will almost certainly suffer more, I got nearly 8 years between attacks this time but I'm not looking forward to the next.

Anyway all is well now although I have resolved not to drink any alcohol at all for a fortnight or so, not that I am anywhere close to a heavy drinker anyway bit it cant hurt can it.

The strange thing is that before I called the ambulance I took my bg levels and they were 8.8 mmol/L which is really high for me in fact I cant recall a reading over 7.5 for ages especially 4 hours after eating!! Very strange and I wonder if it had anything to do with the SVT. I guess ill never know unless any of you have suffered an SVT which coincided with high bg levels.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like you say, you'll never know, but I reckon your higher BGs had everything to do with the SVT. I don't know, but I expect your body was stressed and therefore releasing adrenalin/cortisol which is known to raise BG levels. I always get raised BGs after any strenuous exercise for the same reason.

I'm glad you're feeling better now :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just going to bed last Wednesday at about 10.30pm when I felt my pulse was racing, I took my bp and it was 133/121 (bottom reading way high for me) and my pulse registered 165bpm, took it again a few mins later and recorded 132/115 pulse 176 bpm.

I suffered an SVT or "Superventricular tachycardia" to give it its full name about 8 years ago when I was diagnosed as diabetic, it was said to have been due to my then extended high blood glucose levels, my pulse on that occasion was 188, and they had to give me an injection that momentarily stopped my heart to get it back into sinus rhythm, luckily it worked as the next step would have meant a general anaesthetic and a defibrillator to sort me out.

With an SVT the two halves of the heart start to beat out of time with each other so to get enough oxygen round the body the heart is forced to work faster and harder, hence the increased pulse rates.

Anyway long story short, this time the A&E consultant massaged my neck (Carotid Sinus Massage) and this time it worked and my bp was soon back to normal or there abouts and after my bloods came back all OK they let me go home.

I slept like a proverbial baby when I finally got to bed at around 3.30 am and have been told that once you suffer one SVT you will almost certainly suffer more, I got nearly 8 years between attacks this time but I'm not looking forward to the next.

Anyway all is well now although I have resolved not to drink any alcohol at all for a fortnight or so, not that I am anywhere close to a heavy drinker anyway bit it cant hurt can it.

The strange thing is that before I called the ambulance I took my bg levels and they were 8.8 mmol/L which is really high for me in fact I cant recall a reading over 7.5 for ages especially 4 hours after eating!! Very strange and I wonder if it had anything to do with the SVT. I guess ill never know unless any of you have suffered an SVT which coincided with high bg levels.
good you feel better again...
extreme stress can get ones BG up, maybe your body was i extreme stress...scary yes...

I wonder why the lower blood presure can get so high, mine has gotten much higher since I have gotten the diagnosis of diabetes, I dont know if it is from the metformin or it is from changing my whole diet so much and gone low calories.... but usually people get a better blod presure when loosing a lot of weight.... wonder If I am going to suffer from the same as you do...

Last edited:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Blimey Sid, bit of a scare there, take care of yourself.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Wow nasty scary time there Sid. Do take care.

Reminds me haven't checked my BP for a while think I may do it soon though.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
good you feel better again...
extreme stress can get ones BG up, maybe your body was i extreme stress...scary yes...

I wonder why the lower blood presure can get so high, mine has gotten much higher since I have gotten the diagnosis of diabetes, I dont know if it is fro the metformin or itis from changing my whoe diet so much and gone low calories.... but usually people get a better blod presure when loosing a lot of weight.... wonder If I am going to suffer from the same as you do...

My BP is usually around 140/85 or there abouts which for my age I guess is not too bad, the high diastolic (lower BP number) were due to the SVT as far as I know and came down almost immediately it was sorted, and Im thinking now that the higher than normal BG levels were due to stress on my body in general as @zand and @Freema suggested.

Reactions: iHs

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Scary indeed! I'm pleased everything was sorted OK for you though.

Robbity

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@zand @Freema @noblehead @dawnmc @JohnEGreen and @Robbity

Thanks for your replies and yes I seem to be fine and back to my old self now, in fact apart from being very very tired directly afterwards that was the only side effect I am aware of. The worse thing, in the light of day, was the mud that the two paramedics walked all round my living room!!

I guess that the SVT made my body work so hard that was why my bg levels were higher than expected as they and my BP have been fine since, Im glad to say.

I am currently watching videos on "Carotid Sinus Massage" on youtube so that I will hopefully be able to sort myself out in future rather than have to call the ambulance service for help or at the very least it will be my first resort.

Reactions: zand

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Glad you are home and in one piece Sid ((((((((hugs))))))))) and I hope you don't have a recurrence.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glad you are home and in one piece Sid ((((((((hugs))))))))) and I hope you don't have a recurrence.

Thanks @CarbsRok but I think it is just a matter of time as Im told its caused by an electrical problem with the heart and if you suffer one SVT you will suffer more, I just hope they are only every 8 years ;)

And by genning up on the massage technique, who knows, I may be able to treat myself...I hope.

Reactions: zand and CarbsRok