The Big Fat Lies about Britain's obesity epidemic

Ben

Perhaps we should return to rationing, 'cause in the 12 years (1940-52) the country was on food rationing the whole nation was a lot fitter & slimmer.

Just a thought.

C

catherinecherub

This article shows the rationing,

http://timewitnesses.org/english/food/Rations.html

There were no labour saving white goods, no computers, very few televisions and cars. People relied on bicycles and shanks' pony to get from A -B and spent a lot of time in the garden supplementing rations with home grown vegetables and most people kept chickens. Children played outside whatever the weather. It is the sedentary lifestyle today that is also a contributory factor.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Administrator said:
Keep it clean you mongrels

Thats a bit ruff Dan but point taken :oops: I shall Curb :wink: my innuendo's in future.

Barking mad
Graham

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Dear Graham,

I've been shocked, appalled and left agasp by your over-reliance upon innuendo and double entendre.

Many thanks,
timo.

Useless Pretty Boy

My, my, doesn't this entire thing play straight to the "It's not your fault." crowd? And it manages to do it with the straight face and self-righteous indignation tht only tabloid columnists can achieve.

My favourite part was the attack on government guidance towards exercise based purely on "I don't have enough time." Whether or not a person claims 'not to have time' has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the advice is sound. Essentially, this woman is (dangerously) calling for advice to be changed simply so that people won't feel guilty about collapsing on the sofa and eating high-fat snacks when they get home, rather than going out and exercising.

This is simply trying to sell book by telling people what they want to hear. It's more cynical and dangerous than it claims government guidance to be. Even the title of the book is uber-inflamitory, simply to garner attention. Sigh.

This sort of thing should be illegal.