The dangers of ignoring your health

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
A friend of mine's husband, aged 75, is in hospital at the moment having suffered a minor stroke a couple of days ago which has paralysed one arm.

While they've got him they are running every test they can, of course, and his blood glucose came out at 27, his BP was 190/100. I should think he'll be Type 2 but don't know yet.

He hasn't seen a doctor for more than 10 years. If only he'd gone in, even once a year, for an MOT, the diabetes could have been caught and controlled, his BP reduced, and maybe he wouldn't have had the stroke.

If there's anyone in your life who refuses to see a doctor, tell him/her this cautionary tale!

Viv

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Not neccesarily Viv,
I was tested 9 months before bleed stroke - no warning :shock:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Fergus

I did say maybe! :D :) I know that you can't predict strokes - I have a slim active cousin, no health problems, 12 years older than me, who had a severe stroke in 2006 and now is in a nursing home, unable to walk or look after herself, and with stroke-related dementia. All you can do is try to do your best to make it not happen.

Viv

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Viv,
sorry about your cousin's stroke.
Sorry to seem so abrupt but I didnt mean just about stroke, I was allegedly checked for BP & blood sugars.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Don't worry, Fergus, I didn't take offence! hard luck about your stroke.

As for Cousin Barbara - she seems never to have been bitter, is thoroughly enjoying her life, gets away with murder, and if I bought her a motorised wheelchair none of us would be safe :lol: . The stroke seems to have destroyed all the 'angry' centres of her brain, though she can be very stubborn! Her speech is affected, but she can still sing - beautifully! And her carers are brilliant. I think she enjoys having no responsibilities whatsoever. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but she seems to have made the best of it.

Viv :)

Dippy3103

Too true. My 36 year old hubby has spent today in our local a & e attached to various moniters having had chest pain early this morning. Thankfully it is looking like a false alarm and time to make lifestyle changes. This morning we had no option but to take our four year old son, and this time it was an adventure with a happy ending (topped by a very kind policeman who chatted to him in the waiting room). Brings it all home at any age, but a young child seeing his Daddy wired up really does drive the message home.