The dream has come true...I'm terrified!

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I found out on Friday that I am pregnant! I can't quite belief it. I did a test about 3 weeks ago after being over a week late. It was negative I was then longing for my period to start so that the time for us to try again would come round quicker. I had terrible period pain (which I now know it wasn't) I started to think I might have a condition linked to my issues with anti Amun. With it being the end of term I did have a few drinks and my control wasn't as tight as I was fed up. I'm now so worried I've damaged the baby I've longed for, for years : (

I'm scared if I'm able to do a good job of keeping my levels down. I'm thinking of splashing out and getting the new Dexicon CGM.

Any advice would be greatly received. Only my husband knows and due to going on holiday won't see my DSN until 19th.

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Amy.W congrats! I think pretty much all type1s stress about control. Don't worry about the few drinks now it's done with.
Are you on folic acid and did you do preconception? Targets are normally about 5.5 pre meal and 7.5 an hour after. I used to test all the time and set my alarm through the night as its the only way I felt in control. My last hba1c before I had my twins was 33. I've been pumping for a few years and personally couldn't have been through both my pregnancies without it. There are lots of supportive ladies on here. Take things a day at a time. It's hard work but it's worth it xx

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Amy.W congrats! I think pretty much all type1s stress about control. Don't worry about the few drinks now it's done with.
Are you on folic acid and did you do preconception? Targets are normally about 5.5 pre meal and 7.5 an hour after. I used to test all the time and set my alarm through the night as its the only way I felt in control. My last hba1c before I had my twins was 33. I've been pumping for a few years and personally couldn't have been through both my pregnancies without it. There are lots of supportive ladies on here. Take things a day at a time. It's hard work but it's worth it xx
Thank you! I know you lovely ladies will see me through. I've been on folic acid since January and have been going to pre-conception clinic. Last HbA1c was 7.2. I'm on a pump so hope it will do me well. I just need to work on spikes after eating. Did anyone take anything other than folic acid?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
First of all, don't worry {{hug}} Many women will have had a few drinks before they realise they're pregnant. Just forget that and move on mentally. Stressing about that isn't good - or necessary :)

I'be never used a CGM but the Dexcom is the one I'd go for if was buying one (I have an Animas Vibd pump). If you're unsure, you could maybe talk to your DSN about the idea. I did fine with blood tests, but I can see that a CGM would give extra information about overnight levels.

Yes, control has to be very tight in pregnancy, but I didn't find that too stressful. This sounds a bit sad but I almost enjoyed tightening my control. I had a very special little,person to do it for and that motivation was inspiring, I found, rather than a burden.

As @1Sarah1 says, make sure you take the high dose folic acid. Test lots and lots. That's crucial because it means you can react to highs or lows in good time. Be prepared for both highs and lows, and for increasing your imsulin a lot later on in pregnancy.

It's hard work but perfectly do-able :)

Edited to add - for spikes after eating, try carefully moving your bolus more in advance. It can work wonders.

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Congratulations Amy

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yay! Congratulations Amy! I was exactly the same, I was away in France for a school trip and I was a week late! I had pain au chocolate for breakfast every day which caused a massive spike post breakfast! I was terrified, but as long as the highs are short lived and corrected quickly things should be fine! So pleased for u!!! I am taking pregnacare, 5mg of folic acid and aspirin prescribed by consultant, aparently it's a common thing for all type ones to be on! Good luck! So pleased for u! How many weeks r u? X

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you all! I'm a but confused about how many weeks as I didn't realise you do it from your first day of your last period which would make me 7 weeks. Ooh I'll get some I was on the trying for a baby ones so may as well. I'm still in shock! When did you let close friends and family know you were pregnent? I don't want to jinks it. Xx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We told our parents at about 6 weeks our grandparents after the 8 week scan (one of them wasn't going to make the 12 week scan and was in hospice ) I told 2 friends because I was on a bloody hen party and I needed back up for being the pregnant diabetic going cocktail making! my friends were amazing tho, helping me come up with excuses, ordering my drinks for me so no one else offered and drinking any free alcohol for me! Which I'm sure was the hardest job! Such great friends! and it was made public at 12 weeks (was actually 13 by the time we had the scan!)

Have u got your clinic appointment?

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi forgot to ask are you going abroad on holiday? I told my parents and sisters fairly early and my boss and a friend at work (as I had lots of ante natals) and also wanted people to be aware as a diabetic pregnancy can be high risk-and should have a risk assessment done. First pregnancy I told most people after my 12wk scan but with my twins I was in my maternity clothes by 7weeks and it was pretty obvious to people I saw regularly but again didn't say anything official til after my 12w scan. x

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am being a bridesmaid for my friends wedding in Turkey. We fly next Monday. Been feeling really sick so not sure if I'm looking forward to it. I also have a wedding on Friday. I have rhomatiod arthritis appointment and was just going to tell people that I had been given a few drug which I can't drink with. Which has happened before.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Congratulations! That's amazing news. Agreed the other ladies, test, test, test but don't beat yourself up about past slips that you can't change. Focus on what you can change going forward.

I'm on MDI and also use the Libre and am happy with my control, bar a few spikes.

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations @Amy.W!! It is a very exciting but slightly scary time when you first find out as the reality suddenly hits with regards to diabetes side of it but you'll be surprised at how well you'll manage it when you know that you're doing it for that little baby. The best piece of advice is to test your BS lots, you can't test too much while pregnant. Work on it day to day and basal test to spot where things need changed. Keep plenty of hypo treatment about. I had those small cans of coke in most rooms/at work etc. As others have said you need the higher dose folic acid. It will be a full time job but you'll also be so proud of yourself when you see your hard work paying off and of course once you hold your baby for the first time, you'd do it a thousand times over just for that moment alone :)

BabyMc17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Amy...I'm also Amy...also type 1 on an ACcu check combo pump...also just found out we're pregnant on Wednesday just gone....also absolutely elated and terrified!!!

I have not much knowledge of it bar the basics eg I've got hba1c to pre pregnancy levels and folic acid etc and now I'm pregnant and not sure what to do or think next....however big congrats how are things?

I'm yet to inform any medical professionals as only got hormone confirmations at 8pm tonight!

Where are you all based?

Hoping forums will aid me along the way too!

Amy

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Congratulations Amy. I've been feeling really sick (haven't been yet) however today was better. I think being busy is key as really does keep your mind off it. I'm amazed at the other physical signs, boobs, itchy, oily skin and hair and funny taste in mouth. I just can't wait to have my first appointment/scan so I know I'm not dreaming. How many weeks are you? I'm in the south how about you?

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am being a bridesmaid for my friends wedding in Turkey. We fly next Monday. Been feeling really sick so not sure if I'm looking forward to it. I also have a wedding on Friday. I have rhomatiod arthritis appointment and was just going to tell people that I had been given a few drug which I can't drink with. Which has happened before.
Hiya just be careful with the heat etc and managing your sugars. I'm sure if you tell your friend she will understand-I was bridesmaid for my friend too and had to tell her early on but she understood. Hope it all goes well xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Congratulations @Amy.W that's lovely news and I am so pleased for you :) Just to let you know, at 42 1/2 years old, I had my darling baby girl, who is now a 15 year old teenager, my best diabetes moment ;):happy:
Good luck and all the very best x
ps, I love your avatar, so cute

Last edited by a moderator: