The emotional side of being parent to a t1d teen

Helgatron

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My stepdaughter is still in the hospital being taught her diabetes management after being diagnosed with t1d 5 days ago. This is a shock to all of us, of course. But I feel like the wicked step mother...we have never been close, and now I feel resentment toward her. She is an only child and was never close to her bio mother either. She has bonded with her Dad to the point where she seems protective of anyone getting close to him. Long story.

Anyway, now everything is overwhelming for them and I really dont want to step in and get involved in it. They are getting intensive in-hospital instructions, and since I dont speak their language Im not included.

Has anyone overcome a problem like this? Family counseling would be great but, I dont speak the native language in this country yet.
Thanks for any feedback

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome. This is a good place to reach out to.
I'm not T1 or a parent to one, but I can relate being a newbie to this wonderful world that is diabetes.
First thing to know is that T1 and T2 are very different, have different medications and can have different ways of eating (food and diets).
Although Dad and SD are wrapped up in learning, there no reason why you shouldn't learn the theory too, indeed it could be life saving if you do.
Sounds like she will struggle emotionally, have good days and bad days.
It will take you all sometime to come to terms with it all and won't be fixed immediately. It's going to be lifelong for her.
Am sure other T1s and parents thereof will be along shortly.
Meanwhile understand that taking a back seat for a while , and yet learning lots, is a good strategy

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Not a parent but I am a T1 who was diagnosed aged 8.

I think the diabetes management is going to be mostly up to your stepdaughter, though your OH will help. The technology available for modern T1s is fantastic, far better than when I was a teen and had to use a test tube to test my urine for sugar. (But I still survived my teenage years)

In your position, I'd want to be aware of one T1 diabetic thing
hypoglycemia. Low blood sugar can result in irrational thinking so when you go low you really need sugar treatment immediately. My friends and family have helped me with this many times in my life. Also be aware that though T1s can drink alcohol it can make hypos more difficult to manage, so if your daughter is at an age where she is experimenting she needs to be slightly careful. Hopefully she feel able to tell her friends about hypoglycemia, because their knowledge could save her life one day.

Having said all that, life as a teen is tough enough without a new T1 diagnosis so my heart goes out to you and your family as you all llearn to cope with this.

Reactions: Antje77