1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

"the fasting method" - worth the money?

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by Roggg, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Roggg

Roggg · Well-Known Member

Hey all. I've been reading/watching a lot of info from Jason Fung, who seems to the the leading proponent of IF for diabetes and obesity. He is associated with a web site called "thefastingmethod.com" which charges a subscription fee for access to their resources. Has anyone subscribed? If so, is there any value from the subscription that you could not get through freely available sources?

It's a little pricey, and I'm just wondering if there's anything to make it worthwhile. Thanks.

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Personally I wouldn't bother.
    Not eating is pretty simple really.. not sure why people need telling how or why they use"fasting apps" when a clock works just as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

You can view a lot,of Jason Fung’s stuff on YouTube, or buy his book on fasting - much cheaper than signing up to the website.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Roggg

That's about what I suspected, although I would stile interested in hearing any firsthand experiences. If there's some kind of personal 1:1 coaching, it might be worthwhile, but you're spot on about one thing. It doesn't get much simpler than not eating.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. bulkbiker

What kind of thing do you want to know?

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

I think a lot depends on your own personality. For that kind of fee, my guess is you get more monitoring and online coaching etc. I think this forum by selection bias alone has people motivated to do their own research, monitoring, etc. Not everyone has the time or energy to do that for themselves. I think as with all things, you get what you pay for. If you're happy to do your own thing, it probably wouldn't have much value. Some people also get more motivation from having their progress monitored and being accountable - paying money in and of itself is often a motivator. Motivation is a highly individualised factor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Roggg

@bulkbiker I guess more than anything I'm wondering if this is a money-grab or if there's something of value being offered. And more out of curiosity than anything, as aside from personal coaching, there's not much they could be offering that I might bet interested in. I'm the type to do my own research, and I'm pretty self motivated, so I don't need much. This forum is very informative and supportive, and for free too.

When I first started paying attention to Fung, I was pretty put off by how monetized his participation in the area of diabetes and obesity treatment is. That combined with the lack of peer reviewed research made me extremely sceptical of his message.

8. bulkbiker

I'd disagree there as Dr Fung put me on the right track along with support from people on the forum.

He has a huge amount of free content available on youtube and unlike most research scientists successfully treats patients.

As you are self motivated then you probably don't need online coaching , I'm similar myself, but I'd highly recommend the "Diabetes Code" book.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Roggg

Regarding Fung, I'd say I mostly agree now as well, but that was my initial impressions, so I have bought Diabetes Code and read it very skeptically. I believe the advice is very solid.

There's a wave of new understanding around diabetes that Fung is very much in the middle of, if not as a pure researcher, then as a clinician and advocate.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you only ever listen to one person in this business, it had better be Jason Fung. Whether or not someone pays for the privilege, is a matter of circumstance and personal choice, but at the end of the day we all have to make a living.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. surdoux

surdoux Type 2 · Active Member

Early days yet, but I've found personally, that the purchase of some intelligent scales and a fitness watch have helped enormously in not only giving me lots of information, but giving me the motivation to improve on my figures,

• Like Like x 1
  12. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

I've heard quite a few interviews lately with obesity, PCOS, other patients (now coaches) who have been employed for this new enterprise by Fung (+ Ramos - her name isn't mentioned enough and she's crucial to the patient experience). All wouldn't have their current jobs which they all seem to enjoy without Jason Fung. Their wages have to be paid somehow. I don't understand this attitude that nobody should have to pay for anything and doctors being resented for charging. There's so much free content out there, if people choose to pay for more intensive help, surely that's their choice? If there wasn't a market, there wouldn't be a business model to serve it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    #12 Indy51, Feb 16, 2020 at 9:15 PM
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  13. Roggg

@Jim Lahey Yeah his advice seems solid. Although he doesn't publish his own research, his book is well researched and references a ton of leading researchers. I find him well informed and inspiring to listen to.

@surdoux I have had a smart scale and an Apple Watch for years now, and I agree. They are extremely useful.

@Indy51 I don't want to step in a hornets nest here, so I'm not going to respond after this one, but feel free to have your say. I have no problem with experts making money off their expertise. I bought one of Fung's books with my money, and I feel it was well worth it. I find the website paywall goes beyond what I'm used to seeing from medical professionals. So I ask if it's worth it. I find it interesting that on the fasting sub-forum on one of the largest diabetes communities in the world, nobody has said they have subscribed. I also have not been able to find a single independent review of the subscription program on the web. Maybe I'll just do the free 7 day trial and review it myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I suspect that in Canada medical insurance may pay some or all of the cost. As this is a mainly UK based forum, most folks are used to free at the point of delivery services, so we’re looking at very different models.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Roggg

I'm Canadian. It's a mish-mash of single payer, private insurance and co-pay but mostly free (single payer). All GP visits for example are free of charge, but optometry exams are only free for kids and diabetics, but many career jobs with benefits will offer health insurance that covers it. On the fringes (dental, chiropractic etc...) it varies from province to province. Most "weight loss clinics" operate outside of public funding for most patients. A few years ago the government was offering grants for people who attended weight loss clinics, paid out of pocket and were successful.

No idea about Fung's clinic, although I now see "IDM"more likely to return google hits for Houston rather than Toronto.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook