The flu

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, does anyone have any recommendations on how to prevent the flu. I get the flu jab but is there anything else i can take or do to take extra precautions?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eat good, nutritious food.
Make sure you aren't deficient in any mins and vits, including Vit C, Vit D and all the ones that work in synergy with those vits, and which benefit the immune system.
Get enough exercise.
Avoid junk food and excessive alcohol.
Keep away from people who are coughing and spluttering.
Don't touch your face with your hands if you have been in public areas or touched public items (such as water fountains and door handles)
Wash your hands regularly, thoroughly and using soap, after being out in public.

And I have noticed that I often used to come down with a virus around 3 days after a severe hypo. So I assume that the hypo caused my immune system to dip leaving me open to the virus. Now I have improved my glycaemic control, that pattern has stopped happening.

Hope that helps.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take vitamin c and zinc everyday and since I have I have rarely had a cold, then along with the flu jab too, I’ve never had the flu either :)

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Wash your hands a lot. Keep away from small children and if you must have contact with them -wash your hands even more!