The Guardian Long Read: 'The Sugar Conspiracy'

Biggles2

‘The Sugar Conspiracy’

Wow, this 2016 ‘long read’ article by Ian Leslie in the Guardian is just brilliant!

It covers just about everything – the influential names: John Yudkin, Ancel Keyes, Gary Taubes, Nina Teicholz, Robert Lustig, the 1980 dietary guidelines, the physiology of T2DM, and the unscientific nature of a lot of the nutritional research underpinning current dietary advice, the role of the internet in flattening the information hierarchy and making information accessible to all with access to the internet (an ‘information democracy’ to replace an ‘information oligarchy’) and the nutritional establishment ‘skilled at ad hominem takedowns’ of dissenting voices.

There were so many great snippets I could have included, but I wanted to highlight the role of Professor John Yudkin, an early dissenting voice who dared to sound the alarm about the dangers of sugar, and who paid a steep professional price for his efforts. He is a hero; he tried his best to sound the alarm but he was one man up against very powerful and influential opponents.

Here are the last 2 paragraphs:

‘Professor John Yudkin retired from his post at Queen Elizabeth College in 1971, to write Pure, White and Deadly. The college reneged on a promise to allow him to continue to use its research facilities. It had hired a fully committed supporter of the fat hypothesis to replace him, and it was no longer deemed politic to have a prominent opponent of it on the premises. The man who had built the college’s nutrition department from scratch was forced to ask a solicitor to intervene. Eventually, a small room in a separate building was found for Yudkin.

When I asked Lustig why he was the first researcher in years to focus on the dangers of sugar, he answered: “John Yudkin. They took him down so severely – so severely – that nobody wanted to attempt it on their own.”’​

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What a brilliant expose of the history of nutrition over recent decades. It should be mandatory reading for everyone.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Without the internet how many of us would have heard of any of the names, esp Yudkin's? And more importantly, how many of us would be benefitting from their research?

I have said this before, Big Food, Big Pharma and their lobbyists plus their 'pet' scientists have brought us to this pass i.e we as a species are getting sicker and sicker.

Reactions: MillieT

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, a great article. One that I will insert in my 'story'.
I'm sure many of us agree with it but, on a first reading, two paragraphs jumped out at me as to why new 'health theories' are not embraced more readily:

In a 2015 paper titled Does Science Advance One Funeral at a Time?, a team of scholars at the National Bureau of Economic Research sought an empirical basis for a remark made by the physicist Max Planck: “A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.”

This makes scientific inquiry prone to the eternal rules of human social life: deference to the charismatic, herding towards majority opinion, punishment for deviance, and intense discomfort with admitting to error. Of course, such tendencies are precisely what the scientific method was invented to correct for, and over the long run, it does a good job of it. In the long run, however, we’re all dead, quite possibly sooner than we would be if we hadn’t been following a diet based on poor advice.

Reactions: MillieT