The Hairy Dieters

Cowboyjim

I missed the bit in the prog that said how many calories the leek lasagna had compared to conventional lasagna... not sure I want to endure the whole prog just to find out.
Applauding their efforts to modify recipes (no doubt all be collected in the forthcoming book that will be in so many stockings this xmas) I wonder how many people will go to the bother.
This is a bugbear with having a dietary-related illness and a busy life involving cooking for several.
Be interested to see how others get on with this.
Would also be interested to know how to make the lid of the lasagna crisp.... seems ever since we had a new cooker it aint the same.
I still eat lasagna because there are four here most times. I just have less and more veg.
If I may remain on my soapbox for a moment longer... and get a bit intense. There is a part of me that reacts badly to this prog. No doubt we all share this feeling from time to time but I have never understood how I came to be afflicted with DMT2. I did not fit the stereotype and afaik neither of my parents had it tho an aunty did. These two have reached middle age and seem to have avoided it despite their negligent, dare I say, self-indulgent lifestyle. Hmmm... forgive the rant but no doubt as you know it doesn't take much to irritate in this new world of DM...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cowboyjim said:
I missed the bit in the prog that said how many calories the leek lasagna had compared to conventional lasagna... not sure I want to endure the whole prog just to find out.

The portion of leek lasagna they served had 400 calories, to crisp the topping try sticking under the grill for a few minutes.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
The crispy cheesy top is the best part,just like the crackling on a pork belly joint is! :D

joycegill

I have been doing a similar recipe for a while but instead of leaks I use sliced courgettes (about 1/8th - 1/4 ins thick). I slice them sprinkle with a little salt and leave on some kitchen roll whilst I cook the mince and then follow the same recipe as if I was using lasagna.

I have just ordered the book that goes with the programme from Amazon.

volorg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
I caught up with this on the iplayer and enjoyed it immensely. I will be trying out the recipe but maybe using cream for the sauce to cut carbs further.

RE your comment, Cowboy Jim, I know how you feel. My mom was diagnosed at the age of 45 after suffering from a virus, it was not in the rest of the family, and everyone assumes it was because she was fat (which she was not). I remember talking to a T1 diabetic about my mom, and he actually called it fat diabetes! I was outraged. My mom was told that they had no idea what caused her to develop the disease.

Hope you can keep on fighting the assumptions of other people!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The wife text to say she's made the leek lasagna for tonight's evening meal, will report back later!

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
noblehead said:
The wife text to say she's made the leek lasagna for tonight's evening meal, will report back later!
I'm sure it'll be a great bit of grub! :D My wife(who is Pasta mad!!) watched the episode with me and said she liked the look of the Leek lasagna and would I make it for all of us.A great result if she does like it so I won't keep having to cook seperate meals!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Paul1976 said:
I'm sure it'll be a great bit of grub! :D My wife(who is Pasta mad!!) watched the episode with me and said she liked the look of the Leek lasagna and would I make it for all of us.A great result if she does like it so I won't keep having to cook seperate meals!

The lasagna is for the whole family so time will tell, we not going to tell the kids and see if they notice or not :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
noblehead said:

It wasn't bad although my youngest complained that the pasta was different to the usual and rather chewy :lol:

Out of 10 I'd give it a respectable 6 :)

Cowboyjim

Thanks for the comments. And I like the idea of the courgettes - no doubt they were thinking of something that could be layered like the pasta. Maybe do both leeks and courgettes.

I have not watched last night's yet but no doubt the boys were up to no good in the kitchen again and giving us more revelations of their past. More recipes to discuss and adapted.

Pondering on the affliction and developing it more and more I am convinced it is a combination of three things tho I don't know how this works nor why.

1. Hypertension - a veggie friend also has this and has DMT2, my doc told me there is a connection especially for Indian men.

2. Genetic predisposition - dormant defects that are activated by HT and the next factor,

3. A diet biased to overly processed foods.

Over a few years these things have but one conclusion.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Cowboyjim said:
I have not watched last night's yet...

Over a few years these things have but one conclusion.

I think that last nights episode proved once again that calorie reduction works :thumbup:

Interesting to hear Prof Roy Whatsisname of Newcastle Uni say that it is the visceral fat that is lost first. ie the fat that causes insulin resistance is the first to be lost with a diet, lose the fat lose the insulin resistance, kinda proving why his Optifast diet study In T2 diabetics was as successful as it was I guess :thumbup:

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lost 17 lbs in the 3 months since diagnosed and my fasting BG is now 6.0 to 6.5. Was 7.2 or more early on in the diet when I first got hold of a meter.

Also, I'm no longer spiking so much with meals.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Paul_c said:
I have lost 17 lbs in the 3 months since diagnosed and my fasting BG is now 6.0 to 6.5. Was 7.2 or more early on in the diet when I first got hold of a meter.

Also, I'm no longer spiking so much with meals.

Thats great Paul, keep it up :thumbup:

AMBrennan

I think that last nights episode proved once again that calorie reduction works
I particularly liked the bit where the nutritionist advised them to have baked beans with added sugar rather than a healthier alternative (e.g. beans with tomatoes without added sugar).

And why are they cutting the bacon with scissors? Do they not have kitchen knives?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
AMBrennan said:
I particularly liked the bit where the nutritionist advised them to have baked beans with added sugar rather than a healthier alternative (e.g. beans with tomatoes without added sugar).

And why are they cutting the bacon with scissors? Do they not have kitchen knives?

Can't comment on the programme as a whole, I have had no time to watch it but re the scissors, that is what I always use.

I have a loathing of fat on meat and while a sharp knife is ok for thick chops etc, thinner pieces of meat are easier to deal with using scissors, less tearing. I also use them to remove skin from chicken. (On the rare occasions when hubby won't oblige with the skin removal process) :sick:

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ladybird64 said:
AMBrennan said:

Can't comment on the programme as a whole, I have had no time to watch it but re the scissors, that is what I always use.

I have a loathing of fat on meat and while a sharp knife is ok for thick chops etc, thinner pieces of meat are easier to deal with using scissors, less tearing. I also use them to remove skin from chicken. (On the rare occasions when hubby won't oblige with the skin removal process) :sick:

Me too! I have always used scissors to cut the rind and fat off bacon. Also use scissors to trim chicken breasts.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We use scissors too to cut the fat off bacon, larger cuts of meat then we use a knife to trim the fat.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've been watching it. they are their usual delightful selves, but some of their stuff is low fat and fairly high carb. I haven't tried their recipes yet. Still if you are around 20stones and suddenly start watching how much you eat, any diet will take weight off you fairly quickly.
Hana

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
i cut bacon with scissors too! I find it easier and my knives are razor sharp. But I don't cut the fat off. I cut to prevent curling. I "crozzle" my bacon.
Hana