The health benefits of almonds

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I've been eating almonds every day to see if it will reduce cholesterol.Will let you know next week as just had blood tests done!!

Jo123

Catherine,
That's an interesting article, plus the recipes look good, I have printed them off and will definitely try them.
Thanks,
Jo

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Good find Catherine I've been using almonds along with benecol for my cholesterol, and its worked how much can be attributed to almonds I dont know. But looking at the amount that was used with meals I will increase the amount of almonds I use. Having had to stop eating Porridge because of high spikes, I will give it another go and add 3oz of chopped almonds, will let you know the outcome.

Regards Graham

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
I tried the almonds with Porridge this morning and they work. I gave up on porridge after finding I was getting very high 1hr PP BGs of between 10.5 and 11.2. Today with the almonds 8.0!! obviously I will have to try it again as I can't rely on one reading. The downside is that 30z of almonds is a lot to consume in one go, and the porridge was stodgy to say the least.

I used 40g of scotts original porridge oats made with 200ml full fat milk, I added 3oz of chopped almonds. Will try reducing the amount of oats and adding more milk and maybe use ground almonds, I must say it was very filling.

Graham

C

catherinecherub

Hi Graham,
Try a smaller amount of porridge and the almonds plus some mixed berries. You can get packs of frozen ones in all the major supermarkets. They are free flowing and as good as the real thing. They cost about £1.40 and there is enough for at least six portions.
Porridge is such a good breakfast. I know low carbers have eggs etc. but I would find it difficult to eat that so early in the morning and the porridge does fill you up.
Regards, Catherine.

graham64

Dislikes
Hi Catherine,
Will add the mixed berries I always have some in the freezer. I could manage a good fry up every morning if I could get someone to make it for me :) I need something easy in a morning.

Regards Graham

graham64

Dislikes
A fry up is no problem for me I often have one for lunch, but in a morning in my Zombie like state I can't be bothered :lol: :lol: :lol:

catherinecherub said:
Cookery classes for you Graham.

graham64

Dislikes
sugarless sue said:
Just ducking the issue there,Graham! :lol: :lol:

Attachments

11 KB · Views: 1,656

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Made some almond cookies this afternoon to take to my aqua exercise class tomorrow as it's my birthday. Low carb/ Very high fat. delicious

graham64

Dislikes
Which recipe did you use Hana :?:

hanadr said:
Made some almond cookies this afternoon to take to my aqua exercise class tomorrow as it's my birthday. Low carb/ Very high fat. delicious

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
2cups ground almonds,
1/2cup Splenda
1/2cup softened butter
couple of drops of almond essence(optional)
mix and kneed until it comes together into a stiff paste.make walnut sized balls, squash nearly flat and bake for 20 ins at about 160deg C to a pale golden colour.allow to cool before removing from baking sheet.
couldn't be simpler. Low carb/high fat, can't assess GI probably lowish with all that butter.

graham64

Dislikes
Thanks Hana its going to be a first attempt at baking for me, got the ingredients just need the motivation :roll: :roll:

Cheers Graham

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My GF made some cookies this weekend. I ate a couple. They didn't go down well. White flour, loads of sugar, and pecans. Definitely NOT lo-carb. :cry:

Gonna try the almond recipe tonight, and throw in some peanut butter, Green & Blacks Cocoa Powder and some pecans.

<<drools>>

graham64

Dislikes
Had porridge with almonds again this morning, 1hr PP 7.8 so it does work on the BG, reduced the oats to 35g and increased the milk to 250ml, I not so sure about the taste or texture though, might get used to it :) Had a good find at Asda today Whitworths organic ground almonds 100g reduced from £1-28 to 30p a pack bought 5.

Graham

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Why don't you try adding cinnamon to it for a different flavour,or ginger.

graham64

Dislikes
I always have cinnamon anyway but will try ginger. Ta Sue

sugarless sue said:
Why don't you try adding cinnamon to it for a different flavour,or ginger.