The honeymoon is over

daithi-n

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi guys, looking for a bit of reassurance I guess , I am 23 and last was diagnosed (by my GP) with type 2 in September 2016, and was then told by the diabetic nurse and endocrinologist that I have LADA a few months after that. So fast forward to today and I have been managing on metformin 500x2 since the diagnosis, until the last month or so, sugars started to be up around 8-9 fasting and and then at the end of last week just spiked and were at around 14 fasting, I started my first dose of Lantus last night and seems to be having a good effect already, fasting down to 9 again.
Just wondering from you guys when did ye have to start using the likes of novorapid,
and what are the main problems you find using Lantus?
And finally is it really as scary and daunting as it seems ?
Thanks

Last edited:

Boozon

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi @daithi-n. Sounds like I'm in a similar boat to you. Diagnosed Feb 2016 and just on metformin. Last few days fasting been up to 8.8.
How did you manage to get on to Lantus? Was it your GP who prescribed it or did you have to go to hospital? Also how many units they started you on?
I know a few people who have just been on Lantus for a few years but most seem to go on to novorapid pretty much straight away. Probably worth just testing after meals to see how you are getting on.
On the plus side most people on the forum say they have felt loads better once they started on insulin and that you get used to it.
Pretty sure plenty of people more experienced than me will come along here and give you some helpful, reassuring advice.

daithi-n

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi @Boozon the Lantus was given to me by the hospital, told me to have it and when my sugars get high to ring them and they'll tell me if I need to start taking it.
They have me on 8 units and will reassess it in January when I am back with the diabetic clinic

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It is difficult to tell when you might need to go onto Novorapid as well. My gap was only a month but I started the Basal late and my DN could see that it wasn't enough. You can use the HBA1c as a guide or call the clinic if you are over, say, 10 too often but only you can judge. Fasting tests can be a rough guide to your Basal shots but, overall, fasting tests are not useful for blood sugar levels. Check what they are 2 hours after a meal. Lantus and Levemir are the two main Basals and most posters appear to have very few problems with either. Lantus tends to last nearer the full 24 hours but can sting a bit more when injected (so I've been told)