The Hovis "Low Carb" bread

dch1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Spotted this whilst browsing in on here, and thought I'd give it a try.
Plenty for sale in Leamington Spa Asda.2 versions, 1 seeded,the other not.I bought one of each.I'm not a big bread eater, but whilst doing the 12 week BSD course I have had to drop it altogether.It tastes good, the texture is fin, and at 9.9 grms of carbs per slice and 100 kcal , it seems a good contender.I await other people's views on this.
Regards
Dave Hickman
Newbie T2

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Plenty for sale in Leamington Spa Asda.2 versions, 1 seeded,the other not.I bought one of each.I'm not a big bread eater, but whilst doing the 12 week BSD course I have had to drop it altogether.It tastes good, the texture is fin, and at 9.9 grms of carbs per slice and 100 kcal , it seems a good contender.I await other people's views on this.
Regards
Dave Hickman
Newbie T2

Hi David - As someone who has to be gluten-free, bread isn't a feature of my diet, but my post will bump yours up the lists for those who are around later in day.

And welcome to the forum. :)

P

pollensa

Regards
Dave Hickman
Newbie T2
Sorry Mr. Hickman, bread is bread! and its a no no if anyone wants to keep their levels in control. No matter whether seeded or other its carbs and along with potatoes, pasta, rice bread is the biggest No of all. Why eat a slice when it will upt your levels, instead if your not a bread eater, try eating seed crackers, wonderful substitution for cheese, and any other low carb toppings. No matter what the marketing and other inform, bread is high carbs, even sour dough too, its like fruit many people think its OK to eat fruit its not at the end of the day sadly, perhaps half a clementine, or half cup sliced strawberries or a few berries or couple cherries is the limit, again, if one wants to keep tight control keeping away from medications, bread and fruit are forbidden in my opinion if can be helped.

Mallorca

dch1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't apologise.No need to.In my own instance I have reduced my diagnosis glycated haemglobin reading from 60 to 39 mmols/mol over 8 weeks.I just felt that by virtue of returning to normality would permit an occasional slice, and I was doing some research.I do however, accept that blood glucose spikes shouldn't be encouraged

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry Mr. Hickman, bread is bread! and its a no no if anyone wants to keep their levels in control. No matter whether seeded or other its carbs and along with potatoes, pasta, rice bread is the biggest No of all. Why eat a slice when it will upt your levels, instead if your not a bread eater, try eating seed crackers, wonderful substitution for cheese, and any other low carb toppings. No matter what the marketing and other inform, bread is high carbs, even sour dough too, its like fruit many people think its OK to eat fruit its not at the end of the day sadly, perhaps half a clementine, or half cup sliced strawberries or a few berries or couple cherries is the limit, again, if one wants to keep tight control keeping away from medications, bread and fruit are forbidden in my opinion if can be helped.

Mallorca
This isn't strictly true many here diet only or minimal meds eat some bread - nothing is a blanket no no - it's an individual thing and if a person is eating to their metre and the numbers are good then they are able to eat that particular item in their plan - some also eat a potato or two, a Lidl protein roll, burgen bread, etc etc - whilst I agree with you that we need to watch carbs very carefully we are also all different in how we react

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dch1950 - I use it and the other high protein ones available too and have no problem with them - I prefer the unseeded one usually a slice toasted with my breakfast :)

Reactions: Mark_1

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Bread is not bread. The Hovis bread would be classed as a specialty bread. I have also had a slice of it now and again and it has not raised my BG levels either, so go ahead and try a slice. If you do not spike, there is no harm in having a couple of slices a week, I am sure

Reactions: Serena51 and Mark_1

Mark_1

I use livlife bread all the time 3.4g of carbs a slice. I would look carefully at seeded crackers though all the ones I’ve found are over 50% carbs.

Reactions: Serena51

dch1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use livlife bread all the time 3.4g of carbs a slice. I would look carefully at seeded crackers though all the ones I’ve found are over 50% carbs.

Wow, I that is low.Who manufactures that?Is it a speciality bread, or easily found in your local Supermarket.
I don't monitor my own blood glucose, nobody has ever suggested that I need to.
Thanks for your considered replies.
Dave

O

oh_dear_me

I eat bread too! Livlife (Waitrose) Hi Lo (Sainsbury) Hovis low carb (most supermarkets stock it) plus Lidl protein rolls. I tend to have a small sandwich most lunchtimes and am fine. Testing is the key.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Regards
Dave Hickman
Newbie T2
Morrisons less carb and far cheaper. 77p per loaf. I have toast and crackers again. Poached egg on toast, my fav.

Mark_1

Wow, I that is low.Who manufactures that?Is it a speciality bread, or easily found in your local Supermarket.
I don't monitor my own blood glucose, nobody has ever suggested that I need to.
Thanks for your considered replies.
Dave

Waitrose or order online at Ocado. It’s part of their range of healthy eating. They also have some low carb pasta options.
Monitoring can be a good idea for some people. Personally I got a Libre for a month and tested everything I was likely to eat. Will do the same over Christmas. It depends on the individual.

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the Hovis bread and has no effect at all , also I sometimes use the Kingsmill no crusts. A loaf will last me up to 2 weeks so it goes in the freezer. Usually I have one slice, from the freezer, toasted with a generous topping of peanut butter or with a couple of verry runny eggs.

Jayden2407

This isn't strictly true many here diet only or minimal meds eat some bread - nothing is a blanket no no - it's an individual thing and if a person is eating to their metre and the numbers are good then they are able to eat that particular item in their plan - some also eat a potato or two, a Lidl protein roll, burgen bread, etc etc - whilst I agree with you that we need to watch carbs very carefully we are also all different in how we react

My son eats bread 50/50 everyday - sometimes 4 slices if he had it with breakfast and tea, his readings are just fine :)

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately,Lidl haves topped producing their protein rolls, there is a petition somewhere on this site asking that they start to make them again :meh:

hipretty

Found a couple of nice "bread recipes" on youtube.com. This gentleman makes whole loaves but often one roll at a time in the micro. Here is his video how to bake lovely hamburger buns. And then you will have access to his channel. I do not believe this should spike anyone's insulin and it is high in fiber. Of course if anyone has a problem with seeds don't add.

Keto Hamburger Buns! | Low Carb Hamburger Buns | AMAZING!

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Loud, bawdy people and over muscled macho men out to prove they're tougher than everyone else or with bad attitudes, mobile phones being used whilst driving, unfair VAT and tax.
Regards
Dave Hickman
Newbie T2

Regards
Dave Hickman
Newbie T2

Hi Dave, having type 2 and on insulin bread is usually a no go area for me. However, I did find Hovis lower carb bread to be an excellent inclusion in my low carb diet and have been buying it for some years now. Because of a strangling of my small intestine due to scar tissue intrusion from previous operations, I cannot have anything seeded or with nuts so went for the Hovis unseeded version. Unfortunately my local Sainsbury's branch have stopped any stock of the unseeded and are always running out of the seeded Hovis lower carb too! I buy 6 - 8 loaves every visit and freeze them and although I get a lot of pain from eating the seeded version, for my diabetes, it's my only choice at Sainsburys (when they have it in). Keep healthy Dave!