The Joy of Fruit

bap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed type 2 about 5 weeks ago and since then haven't ingested any chocolate, sweets, cakes, squash or anything else really nice. As a result, I find that when I pop a raisin against the roof of my mouth with a bowl of All Bran, the sweetness of the fruit is so delicious it's almost overwhelming. I never thought I would say that!

I was diagnosed during a pre-assessment for a hernia operation, completely out of the blue. In the intervening period my blood sugar has stabilised to the extent that I've got another pre-assessment today for the hernia operation tomorrow - joy. I'm nervous about my blood sugar count - silly really, it's been fine for the last month. Nevertheless, I'll drive to the hospital with my fingers crossed :O)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Bap,
Glad you seem to be doing ok but please tell what was your BG when diagnosed, what is it now, and do you test it yourself?

bap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Dennis,

My BG was 19.5 when diagnosed, it has since come down to between 4.9 and 7.5 depending on time of day, time elapsed since last meal, etc. Interestingly, having ben starved in hospital and denied my medication prior to my operation, my BG went up to 11.5. PS I enjoyed some maltesers last night, my first confectionary for 7 weeks.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Why were you denied your medication in hospital? did it conflict with another treatment? You should be allowed to manage your own diabetes as an in-patient

bap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was informed that the anaesthetist has ultimate control over what goes ino your body when you have a general anaesthetic because of the adverse effects the anaesthetic has on heart, brain and other core functions which are [obviously] affected by certain drugs including those for diabetes. The flip side of the coin is that you can't be operated on if your blood sugar is too high or too low.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
How did the operation for the hernia go? Or haven't you had it yet? I've got a small hernia next to my belly button. doctor said that I have to lose 2 stones before he'll refer me to a surgeon. I've never been in hospital for anything like this before....just dental work when a teenager. Scary. :?