The later I get out of bed, the higher my BG level

SteveB66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Hi everyone, sorry if I'm repeating something that's been covered before, but I've noticed with me the later I get up during the day, the higher my BG levels are. For example, up at 10.45am BG 8.8 (5.3 before sleeping); up at 10.17am BG 7.7 (6.3 before sleeping); up at 8.20am BG 6.5 (7.2 before sleeping); up at 7.39am BG 6.4 (7.8 before sleeping).

Is this normal or am I just missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Steve

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I have noticed much the same but thought maybe it's cos I'm new and not fully got it under control yet. Also wondered if it's to do with dawn liver dump.
Would be interested to read replies from more experienced members.

sugarmog

It is due to liver dump, and as far as I can work out my body doesn't release insulin to deal with this in the same way as it responds to food. Yesterday, for various reasons, I didn't get out of bed until 1pm (16 hours after eating). My reading was an unprecedented 8.0. (usually between 5 and 6). I had a bowl of muesli, fruit and greek yoghurt, and two hours later it was back down to 7. Today I got up earlier, had the same breakfast and two hours later I was at a much more normal 4.9. I'm currently taking antibiotics so that may be skewing my readings a bit, but in general my lowest morning readings are when I have to get up between 5.30 -6.30am and can be up to 2 points higher if I get up after 10.

SteveB66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Perhaps it's because the meds have stopped working by this point i.e later during the day? Think I'll ask my uninterested GP(!) and see what she says. Thanks for your replies.

dani-a

Hmmm could be the dawn syndrome coming in to affect your readings, I don't know if you are a T1 or T2 so I can only comment on the T1 side of things (been a T1 for 40 yrs, diagnosed at age of 4). BI could be a cause, it might be running out in the early mornings. I would ask to see a consultant or a DSN, no offence to GP's but diabetes is not their forte!

reidpj

SteveB66 said:
Hi everyone, sorry if I'm repeating something that's been covered before, but I've noticed with me the later I get up during the day, the higher my BG levels are. For example, up at 10.45am BG 8.8 (5.3 before sleeping); up at 10.17am BG 7.7 (6.3 before sleeping); up at 8.20am BG 6.5 (7.2 before sleeping); up at 7.39am BG 6.4 (7.8 before sleeping).

Is this normal or am I just missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Steve

Have you noticed that the higher your bedtime readings are the lower your waking readings are?