The latest rubbish from the media [emoji849]

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Listlad I have “cyclically” (comes and goes for weeks or months at a time) frequent PVC’s and SVT’s. Also sometimes elevated rate that’s never been caught on any monitor yet. Electro-dr saw one Afib while he was working during ablation, and flooded the heart with adrenaline or epinephrine or similar, but it refused to happen again.
All this has been going on for most of my adult life.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cant the problem be due to a low carb food too low in potassium ?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad I have “cyclically” (comes and goes for weeks or months at a time) frequent PVC’s and SVT’s. Also sometimes elevated rate that’s never been caught on any monitor yet. Electro-dr saw one Afib while he was working during ablation, and flooded the heart with adrenaline or epinephrine or similar, but it refused to happen again.
All this has been going on for most of my adult life.
Thanks. My heart rate seems to shift around. It is regular but not always the same rate when at rest. At rest it can be as low as 50bpm or it can be over 80. I use a bp monitor so this has become apparent. Hence my question to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: zauberflote

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on a low carb diet for about 8 years (though, to be honest, not quite keto for the past five ;)) About a year in I did develop a detectable arrhythmia - this seems to have been down to too much strong coffee. I went decaff and after about 9 months my heartbeat returned to normal and has been ever since.

Clearly this is just one experience, but I wonder if the 'study' investigated coffee intake. Who knows, there may be a link between low carb and effects of coffee intake. In evolutionary terms, early humankind did not experience coffee until relatively recently (much like not experiencing refined carbs until the past 500 years or so).

Just speculating - but I agree with others, over-dramatic media stories are not helpful!

Reactions: jjraak and Indy51

Mindymo

nI was sent this article by a fried and advised to go home and eat toast So horrible to read this type of scare mongering! I went low carb/keto in May 2018. I have reversed my diabetes and lost loads of weight since then. In Oct I started heart rhythm problems having never had any heart issues before. I’m a runner and this started overnight. Finally found out I have intermittent heart block along with a couple of other electrical pathway abnormalities. I now have a pacemaker and I’m not a runner anymore. Still having my pacemaker tweaked to try to get my life back.
All my my docs consultants and professionals are aware I’m low carb and have always dismissed it as irrelevant!
This ‘research” needs dissecting to show it for what it really is. I wonder who funded it? Also as AF is so common what percentage of 19000 people would go on to develop AF over a 22 year period anyway??

Reactions: jjraak

Mindymo

I was sent this article by a friend and advised to go home and eat toast So horrible to read this type of scare mongering! I went low carb/keto in May 2018. I have reversed my diabetes and lost loads of weight since then. In Oct I started heart rhythm problems having never had any heart issues before. I’m a runner and this started overnight. Finally found out I have intermittent heart block along with a couple of other electrical pathway abnormalities. I now have a pacemaker and I’m not a runner anymore. Still having my pacemaker tweaked to try to get my life back.
All my my docs consultants and professionals are aware I’m low carb and have always dismissed it as irrelevant!
This ‘research” needs dissecting to show it for what it really is. I wonder who funded it? Also as AF is so common what percentage of 19000 people would go on to develop AF over a 22 year period anyway??

I was sent this article by a friend!

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Well, I have a heart condition, and my beats are always around 54 to 58 per minute. I am on medication and have been for 14 years but doing low carb for 2 years has not altered the rhythm. The only time I get a slightly altered rhythm is when I have eaten a couple of squares of dark chocolate, which is rare as I am not really a chocolate eater. Or if I have more than 2 coffees a day, which again is rare. Interestingly dark chocolate has Magnesium in, yet will alter the rhythm of my heart.

M

Member496333

@derry60

Fairly sure cocoa is high in caffeine which may explain why dark chocolate could have an effect on the heart. I could be wrong on that of course.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Yes, an improvement. Even, a BIG improvement. But how about this: "If you have diabetes, there aren’t any foods that you should actively avoid, but it’s important to limit the amount of sugar, fat and salt in your diet, said the NHS.", not to mention right at the beginning: "The condition is caused by the pancreas not producing enough of the hormone insulin, or the body not reacting to insulin."

What a hoot (not really, but one has to laugh otherwise the crying gets too much) - as if how much salt you eat has anything to do with developing, or treating even, T2D. And oh if I could live my life without "actively avoid"ing certain food!

But they did give it a good try with talking about sugar, as in actively avoiding, but leaving out "foods that turn into glucose/sugar when you eat it" ie carbohydrates, cos that's way too scary? Even in an article about those with T2D lowering carbs to get better...

And supporting the BIG confusion re the different types of diabetes right at the beginning, re insulin, as in there not being enough rather than too much - the 'reaction' bit ie insulin resistance is mentioned secondly and is not written about in relation to the too much insulin, which I believe it should be. In my own life I find this initial confusion, about too little as usually really too much insulin, amongst not only the general population, but also, horrifyingly, amongst health professionals. My own feeling is this initial confusion just soooo has to stop! If we are going to get the low-carbing word more thoroughly out there. The actual percentage of type twos not producing enough insulin, rather than us producing too much to cover the too much glucose - is what? 17%? According to the Swedes.(not counting the auto immune disease diabetes types in that percentage, which has its own 6% figure.) And that 17% is after the pancreas has worn out - from producing too much insulin, is my understanding. Understood that there is a significant, yet small group of insulin deficient folks with T2D that comes from another pancreas cell damaging disease, or chemicals and medications that have damaged pancreas cells. (Have no idea as to the percentage that accounts for this one.)

Thank you for letting me analyse this article in detail. (I'm very happy to do this.) It's good to, I think, if we are going to counter this kind of journalism. And to counter an/the epidemic in diabetes - we do need to do this.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If Atrial Fibrillation was caused by a ketogenic diet then all of us following said way of life would have atrial fibrillation. If it could be remedied by a simple dose of magnesium, then cardiac ablation and various drug therapies would all be redundant. The truth is, that there are various different causes of AFib, and several different treatments to remedy it. Not every patient I've seen with AFib is on a ketogenic diet. This is one of the worst kinds of study!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If Atrial Fibrillation was caused by a ketogenic diet then all of us following said way of life would have atrial fibrillation. If it could be remedied by a simple dose of magnesium, then cardiac ablation and various drug therapies would all be redundant. The truth is, that there are various different causes of AFib, and several different treatments to remedy it. Not every patient I've seen with AFib is on a ketogenic diet. This is one of the worst kinds of study!

I had 3 cardioversions and one catheter ablation. No one told me about magnesium until i saw a naturopath. Maybe if my cardiologist had thought to test me for low magnesium i wouldnt have needed the expensive procedures? Or the dreadful amiodorone which caused me to get a vit d deficiency because my skin burnt even on a white skied winter's day. No one from mainstream medicine has ever advised me to take magnesium...yet it has worked again and again. Maybe other afib patients would be helped by this, but they won't know about it because the NHS isn't good with nutritional advice.
Yes there are many causes of AFib. Too much adrenalin in the system exacerbated mine yet my GP wouldn't believe me and used an anaesthetic with adrenalin in when i expressly asked him to use the older one (like my dentist uses for me).

Reactions: AloeSvea

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Atrial fibrillation..causes an irregular, fast heart beat. May cause extreme breathlessness or could be symptomless for a while.