the loo

RiffRaff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people that have no manners,,
Hi guys,,, is it me or does every one with diabetes tend to use the loo more often than they used to,, i am waking up bang on 3AM an then again at 5:30AM to use the loo,, an it's worst during the day its a case of drink a coffee an then have to go, its getting me down

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If you're running high blood sugars then your kidneys will be filtering out sugar in your urine.... Thus making fluid run through your system more quickly.... Do you test your blood sugars? (I know many T2s are told they don't need to test by their doctor.)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @RiffRaff

Has this got worse for you recently? How are your blood sugars?

My loo use has got noticeably less since getting my bloods under control - although I have always been a frequent go-er and still go more than the average.

Reactions: hankjam

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm...depends what sort of loo use you're talking about. Since becoming diabetic I have actually struggled with constipation, for unknown reasons since I have a good diet, drink plenty, attempt to exercise, eat lots of fibre etc. I used to go every morning but now sometimes I don't go at all during a day and if I do the poos are low quality (hard, small, difficult to do etc). Urine output depends on liquid input, since becoming diabetic I drink a LOT more and so toilet use has increased correspondingly.

D

Deleted Account

I agree with the the other responses that I only wee more when I have a high BG.
Perhaps this is the case for the OP.

Whenever I wake in the night, I force myself to take a BG reading.
Being too high or too low are the usual reasons (apart from the alarm) for waking up.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also agree with others - pre type 2 diagnosis, when I obviously had high blood sugars but didn't know, I had to get up at least once in the middle of the night.

Since testing and getting my glucose levels more under control, I sleep like a log again and would require an earthquake to wake me up in the middle of the night!

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
At the risk of sounding crude....does it smell?
Smelly wees are generally a sign of a high sugar level.

Tell your GP on your next visit.

Good luck

Tony

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Even though my bs is well controlled I still do find myself making frequent night time trips to the loo, so I have installed a loo bowl light which switches on automatically when you approach it saves switching on the main light and makes the experience of night time loo visits a bit more amusing the light cycles through several different colours.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If not on metformin I get constipation and heavy solid extended stomach.
On metformin I get softer tummy fat, that can be lost.
Excess weeing takes place only from my water tablet which I take on a morning.
Leakage from a compressed nerve at mo but hopefully being addressed by hospital tomorrow. Praying not diabetic related.
Dead leg, bum and pelvis is cause of my loo trouble.

purplesally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've given up on daily tea and coffee. Coffee is an occasional treat with a splash of double cream. My bloods will not accept milk and high bloods means little sleep

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I asked my Nurse could drinking loads of water flush the sugar out of my system i thought be easy way to get rid but was told you can't get the sugar out of your Blood once it's in only by exercise!!!
emoji20.png
Once your blood sugar is over 10 then some sugar gets passed out through your kidneys, which is why one of the symptoms of undiagnosed diabetics is extreme thirst. Not sure how much that reduces your blood sugar, and remember that 10 is already above normal levels. When I was first diagnosed (1970) there were no glucometers so the only at home test was to do an at home chemistry experiment on a urine sample (5 drops urine, 10 drops water, add pill, shake test tube and wait to see what colour it goes to see the amount of sugar in the urine).

Reactions: Julie27318

RiffRaff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people that have no manners,,
Thank's guy's bloods are normally 10 or under have been a bit high just lately. but i put that down to stress an gearing up for the Airshow season an probably missing med's i hate tablets but that's another tale. had to many years of not eating breakfast due to been HGV driver not anymore and it wasn't T2 that stopped me its a hard habit to break. it used to make me feel sick trying to eat before my first break. still cannot eat before 10AM. so it's make a concerted effort to remember to take all the med's an drop some weight my DN says i'm a heart attack waiting to happen nice of her. but hey the truth hurts so they say.as for urine smelling yer sugar puffs springs to mind at time's.