1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

the loo

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by RiffRaff, Apr 23, 2018.

1. RiffRaff

RiffRaff Type 2 · Active Member

Hi guys,,, is it me or does every one with diabetes tend to use the loo more often than they used to,, i am waking up bang on 3AM an then again at 5:30AM to use the loo,, an it's worst during the day its a case of drink a coffee an then have to go, its getting me down

2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

If you're running high blood sugars then your kidneys will be filtering out sugar in your urine.... Thus making fluid run through your system more quickly.... Do you test your blood sugars? (I know many T2s are told they don't need to test by their doctor.)

3. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master

Hi @RiffRaff

Has this got worse for you recently? How are your blood sugars?

My loo use has got noticeably less since getting my bloods under control - although I have always been a frequent go-er and still go more than the average.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. phdiabetic

phdiabetic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hmmm...depends what sort of loo use you're talking about. Since becoming diabetic I have actually struggled with constipation, for unknown reasons since I have a good diet, drink plenty, attempt to exercise, eat lots of fibre etc. I used to go every morning but now sometimes I don't go at all during a day and if I do the poos are low quality (hard, small, difficult to do etc). Urine output depends on liquid input, since becoming diabetic I drink a LOT more and so toilet use has increased correspondingly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I agree with the the other responses that I only wee more when I have a high BG.
    Perhaps this is the case for the OP.

Whenever I wake in the night, I force myself to take a BG reading.
    Being too high or too low are the usual reasons (apart from the alarm) for waking up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Smallbrit

Smallbrit Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I also agree with others - pre type 2 diagnosis, when I obviously had high blood sugars but didn't know, I had to get up at least once in the middle of the night.

Since testing and getting my glucose levels more under control, I sleep like a log again and would require an earthquake to wake me up in the middle of the night!

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Tony337

Tony337 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding crude....does it smell?
    Smelly wees are generally a sign of a high sugar level.

Tell your GP on your next visit.

Good luck

Tony

8. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Even though my bs is well controlled I still do find myself making frequent night time trips to the loo, so I have installed a loo bowl light which switches on automatically when you approach it saves switching on the main light and makes the experience of night time loo visits a bit more amusing the light cycles through several different colours.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

If not on metformin I get constipation and heavy solid extended stomach.
    On metformin I get softer tummy fat, that can be lost.
    Excess weeing takes place only from my water tablet which I take on a morning.
    Leakage from a compressed nerve at mo but hopefully being addressed by hospital tomorrow. Praying not diabetic related.
    Dead leg, bum and pelvis is cause of my loo trouble.

10. purplesally

purplesally Type 1 · Active Member

I've given up on daily tea and coffee. Coffee is an occasional treat with a splash of double cream. My bloods will not accept milk and high bloods means little sleep

• Hug Hug x 1
  11. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Once your blood sugar is over 10 then some sugar gets passed out through your kidneys, which is why one of the symptoms of undiagnosed diabetics is extreme thirst. Not sure how much that reduces your blood sugar, and remember that 10 is already above normal levels. When I was first diagnosed (1970) there were no glucometers so the only at home test was to do an at home chemistry experiment on a urine sample (5 drops urine, 10 drops water, add pill, shake test tube and wait to see what colour it goes to see the amount of sugar in the urine).

• Like Like x 1
  12. RiffRaff

RiffRaff Type 2 · Active Member

Thank's guy's bloods are normally 10 or under have been a bit high just lately. but i put that down to stress an gearing up for the Airshow season an probably missing med's i hate tablets but that's another tale. had to many years of not eating breakfast due to been HGV driver not anymore and it wasn't T2 that stopped me its a hard habit to break. it used to make me feel sick trying to eat before my first break. still cannot eat before 10AM. so it's make a concerted effort to remember to take all the med's an drop some weight my DN says i'm a heart attack waiting to happen nice of her. but hey the truth hurts so they say.as for urine smelling yer sugar puffs springs to mind at time's.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook