The Low Carb Food Company have ceased trading!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't tried this one myself, but know people on another forum rave about it.

Myself, I use the odd 4g per slice from HiLo a brand I get in Sainsburys. Too thick for anything other than cheese on toast (imho but easily available and reasonably priced )

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was buying from Jo-Lo but then everything was all marked as sold out. After eventually getting an email reply from them, it was because the bakery was being updated. Their rolls were chewy, but I didn't actually mind. Anyway, been going to SRSLY since. I love their bread toasted as it's so crisp & I find their rolls are smashing if flashed in the air fryer.

• Informative
Reactions: shelley262

Satsooma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was literally going to start a thread about this too!

Their sliced bread and rolls were the best I’d found so far, and I loved the cleaner ingredients compared to some of the other low carb breads out there. I wish I’d have stocked up.

I also discovered the Funky Fat Chocolate range on their website.

Reactions: lovinglife

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, I use LCF Co too for rolls and pizza bases. Not a frequent thing for me, but I use them for occasional "convenient" meals more than anything. Like others, I haven't found any other low carb rolls or pizza bases that I really like, "rubbery" or "ginger bready" sums up all the competition I've tried.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like others, I haven't found any other low carb rolls or pizza bases that I really like, "rubbery" or "ginger bready" sums up all the competition I've tried.
It's because so few really compare with real bread that I have found it really quite easy just to not to try to replace, or when I do, think "bland" or "savoury" or "soaks up stuff" or "crunches like toast"... in fact think anything else except "bread"!

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's because so few really compare with real bread that I have found it really quite easy just to not to try to replace, or when I do, think "bland" or "savoury" or "soaks up stuff" or "crunches like toast"... in fact think anything else except "bread"!
Agree with this. I got to this point with pasta, rice, and noodles very quickly. There are no great genuine alternatives I've found so far (in my opinion, at least), in fact most are disgusting. Cauliflower rice is decent, I like it a lot, but you're not fooling anyone that it could be real rice. It's a separate product in my mind, that I use slightly differently to real rice, but I enjoy it in its own right.

That's what made LCF Co products great. My wife and kids couldn't distinguish the pizza base from a regular supermarket pizza. The rolls weren't perfect replacements for the real deal, but they made a really good burger.

Ketoroma seem to do pizza bases and rolls though, very good for carb stats, so I'll give them a go. They also do low carb carrot cake, so that could be my Christmas day treat sorted. Thanks for the link!

Reactions: Kernow Debra

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's what made LCF Co products great. My wife and kids couldn't distinguish the pizza base from a regular supermarket pizza. The rolls weren't perfect replacements for the real deal, but they made a really good burger.

Ketoroma seem to do pizza bases and rolls though, very good for carb stats, so I'll give them a go. They also do low carb carrot cake, so that could be my Christmas day treat sorted. Thanks for the link!
Summed it up perfectly!
I’d be very interested how you find Ketoroma products. My fingers are firmly crossed.

Reactions: Paul_

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to buy from https://www.greenhalghs.com/low-carb-keto-range/ and interestingly the bread always came wrapped in Low Carb Food Company wrapper, so perhaps this company did the bread baking for the LCF company. I just checked the web site and they still selling the bread.
Interestingly, the low carb rolls on the Greenhalghs site say that they "worked with" the Low Carb Food Co. Looks like they had a supply deal, so it all depends on whether the LCF Co are still fulfilling these supply deal orders for other suppliers they had a relationship with.

As with all cases where companies go under, I'd say it's a "buyer beware" situation. Might be delivered, might not, and refunds aren't always straightforward if not.

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes indeed, just looked at the website. The Pizza bases look very much like LCC ones, exact same nutritional value.
Maybe a chance to stock up if they still indeed have stock.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interestingly, the low carb rolls on the Greenhalghs site say that they "worked with" the Low Carb Food Co. Looks like they had a supply deal, so it all depends on whether the LCF Co are still fulfilling these supply deal orders for other suppliers they had a relationship with.

As with all cases where companies go under, I'd say it's a "buyer beware" situation. Might be delivered, might not, and refunds aren't always straightforward if not.
Is the Greenhalghs site the same company as the Hand Crafted Real Bread Co does anyone know? They also have the pizza bases the rolls and the 400g loaf. They also have the scones that @Margarettt has mentioned

I’ve ordered a few packs of the bases and a couple of the scones though I wouldn’t consider them low carb at 12g carb per scone but they look very big and will do cut in 1/4 for an keto afternoon tea I make in the run up to Christmas

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve ordered a few packs of the bases and a couple of the scones though I wouldn’t consider them low carb at 12g carb per scone but they look very big and will do cut in 1/4 for an keto afternoon tea I make in the run up to Christmas
I'm very glad you posted that @lovinglife I was so excited I never even looked at the nutritional info but yes I could do a quarter or even a half with lots of butter and or cream and call it a meal. Thank you

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the Greenhalghs site the same company as the Hand Crafted Real Bread Co does anyone know? They also have the pizza bases the rolls and the 400g loaf. They also have the scones that @Margarettt has mentioned

You beat me to it - I was just coming here to post that I'd found them on that site too. It seems to suggest there's probably a baking supplier, who then supply all the others. If the baker is the Low Carb Food Co, that'll be a problem, but we'll be able to tell if these other sites stop selling the products.

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You beat me to it - I was just coming here to post that I'd found them on that site too. It seems to suggest there's probably a baking supplier, who then supply all the others. If the baker is the Low Carb Food Co, that'll be a problem, but we'll be able to tell if these other sites stop selling the products.
I’m beginning to think that they were “supplied” rather than being the producers as a couple of times when I had a problem with a product they referred to “our supplier” in the email. (Had first class customer service from them on the issues by the way)

Of course that doesn’t mean we will be able to continue buying the goods - they may well own the recipes that are baked and supplied by a bakery then LCF Co supplied all these sources we are discovering, my advice is if you are finding an alternative source for their products and you are passionate about having them to stock up while they are there.

• Friendly

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I think I got a few emails asking for investing in the company which rang alarm bells for me. Only used them on the odd chance but was impressed by some of the stuff, shame. Sorry different company just read my emails - half asleep :banghead:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I got a few emails asking for investing in the company which rang alarm bells for me. Only used them on the odd chance but was impressed by some of the stuff, shame.
I had those too, didn’t red flag for me personally it’s how a lot of start ups operate

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I had those too, didn’t red flag for me personally it’s how a lot of start ups operate
Perhaps I was just being over cautious, bit cynical, time of year ;)

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for great input.
I’m going to bite the bullet and order from The Hand crafted bread company.
I’ll either be stocked up or refunded hopefully.

As a born and bred Cornish girl, the thought of a scone with jam and clotted cream has sent me dizzy! Cakey tea as we call it down here.