1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

The monthly battle

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Lynz84, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Lynz84

Lynz84 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I came off my contraceptive pill in the new year to try and deal with hormones etc before trying for a baby. Well nearly 8 months later and its a complete b*&$#£d to manage! About 2 weeks before my period I am so resistant to insulin at night. Then as soon as it arrives I am hyper sensitive to insulin and have to be so careful about hypos. It is honestly wearing me down and Im frightened that I may not be able to control hormones etc if I get pregnant. Have any of you ladies any experience or wisdom to share? I am at my wits end x

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Lynz84

Your not the only one :( as you can imagine with any hormonal change there is a reaction, so increase in oestrogen, decrease in progesterone etc and it hits us where it hurts.

The only advice I can give you is to track this carefully and try to manage it through checking your dates as well as your bg levels, and adjust your basal and correct where necessary, there is no easy way round it, some months I get no resistance and others I run high solidly for days and as soon as I get my period I am super sensitive to insulin, I even argued with a GP over this in sheer frustration as I felt like I was going mad and he didn't believe me :banghead:

T1 guys get it so easy in comparison, sorry to any guy reading this but you're so lucky...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It’s a pretty standard part of the female cycle, annoyingly. From day 18-28 I need about 50% extra insulin, both for basal, bolus and corrections. Can you get Libre? That should help you see things a bit more clearly.

4. Lynz84

Thanks Juicyj! Thankfully I am like clock work but the diabetes likes to mess with me just for funsies!! So frustrating

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lynz84

Mel dCP that much extra? I think im nearly afraid to properly experiment in case I get it wrong! I am on a waiting list for the libre so fingers crossed!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook