The monthly battle

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I came off my contraceptive pill in the new year to try and deal with hormones etc before trying for a baby. Well nearly 8 months later and its a complete b*&$#£d to manage! About 2 weeks before my period I am so resistant to insulin at night. Then as soon as it arrives I am hyper sensitive to insulin and have to be so careful about hypos. It is honestly wearing me down and Im frightened that I may not be able to control hormones etc if I get pregnant. Have any of you ladies any experience or wisdom to share? I am at my wits end x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Lynz84

Your not the only one :( as you can imagine with any hormonal change there is a reaction, so increase in oestrogen, decrease in progesterone etc and it hits us where it hurts.

The only advice I can give you is to track this carefully and try to manage it through checking your dates as well as your bg levels, and adjust your basal and correct where necessary, there is no easy way round it, some months I get no resistance and others I run high solidly for days and as soon as I get my period I am super sensitive to insulin, I even argued with a GP over this in sheer frustration as I felt like I was going mad and he didn't believe me :banghead:

T1 guys get it so easy in comparison, sorry to any guy reading this but you're so lucky...

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

I came off my contraceptive pill in the new year to try and deal with hormones etc before trying for a baby. Well nearly 8 months later and its a complete b*&$#£d to manage! About 2 weeks before my period I am so resistant to insulin at night. Then as soon as it arrives I am hyper sensitive to insulin and have to be so careful about hypos. It is honestly wearing me down and Im frightened that I may not be able to control hormones etc if I get pregnant. Have any of you ladies any experience or wisdom to share? I am at my wits end x

It’s a pretty standard part of the female cycle, annoyingly. From day 18-28 I need about 50% extra insulin, both for basal, bolus and corrections. Can you get Libre? That should help you see things a bit more clearly.

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Juicyj! Thankfully I am like clock work but the diabetes likes to mess with me just for funsies!! So frustrating
Hi @Lynz84

Your not the only one :( as you can imagine with any hormonal change there is a reaction, so increase in oestrogen, decrease in progesterone etc and it hits us where it hurts.

The only advice I can give you is to track this carefully and try to manage it through checking your dates as well as your bg levels, and adjust your basal and correct where necessary, there is no easy way round it, some months I get no resistance and others I run high solidly for days and as soon as I get my period I am super sensitive to insulin, I even argued with a GP over this in sheer frustration as I felt like I was going mad and he didn't believe me :banghead:

T1 guys get it so easy in comparison, sorry to any guy reading this but you're so lucky...

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Mel dCP that much extra? I think im nearly afraid to properly experiment in case I get it wrong! I am on a waiting list for the libre so fingers crossed!
It’s a pretty standard part of the female cycle, annoyingly. From day 18-28 I need about 50% extra insulin, both for basal, bolus and corrections. Can you get Libre? That should help you see things a bit more clearly.