The penny has dropped using info I found on net

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may be wrong (I'm still new to all of this) but I doubt that Metformin would help with post prandial readings as its main aim is to curb its liver dumps and it is unlikely that one would experience liver dump after a meal.
Or I may have missed something altogether.
Jenny Ruhl certainly believes that Metformin can help both with fasting and post-prandial bg. In the following extract she is writing about the extended release version:

"If I take the same full dose at 2 PM I will see the strongest effect on my blood sugar after dinner, but I will see a lower fasting blood sugar the next morning than I would if I took the drug first thing in the morning. The trade off is that my breakfast blood sugar will be higher on that schedule if I eat any carbs.

Metformin also builds up a cumulative effect on your fasting blood sugar after you take it for a week. This effect is not dependent on when you take it. If you miss a dose you will probably see a small but immediate difference in your post meal blood sugars. But if your stop taking it for a week you will not only see that effect the day after you you stop it, you will also see a second notable increase in your fasting blood sugar and pre-meal blood sugar about a week later.

If you are taking metformin primarily to lower high morning fasting blood sugars, it may make sense to take your full dose right before bed--but the trade off will be that this timing of your dose may give you the weakest coverage before lunch and dinner, which may leave you with higher sugars for many hours of the day which counteract any advantage you might get from having lowered your morning reading.

Some people take half their metformin in the morning and half at night. That might give a more even effect throughout the day but because you smoothe out any peak in the drug's effect, you might see slightly higher meal time sugars than you would if you took it all at once."
http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/timing-your-metformin-dose.html

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This may be so but never to a great extent and Metformin at the dosage you are on would have minimal effects anyway. It is just not prescribed for this reason plus the fact that she says herself that it has a cumulative effect and you have not been on it very long. I am wondering now why you are considering raising your carb intake to 150g per day when you are clearly concerned about raised bg levels, the outcome is obvious, I would have thought.
We are all different. As to meters being unreliable, I do not think they are really. We can get rogue readings at times but the human body cannot be calibrated, our cells do not parade through our veins like soldiers at a passing out parade that is why we look for patterns rather than at readings taken singularly.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am wondering now why you are considering raising your carb intake to 150g per day
No, sorry, I did not make myself clear. I am currently eating 100g of low carb vegetables twice daily, which of course does not amount to anywhere near 100g carbs, and am thinking of experimenting with raising that slightly.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
No, sorry, I did not make myself clear. I am currently eating 100g of low carb vegetables twice daily, which of course does not amount to anywhere near 100g carbs, and am thinking of experimenting with raising that slightly.

Ah, I see. You will be aware then that it may be wise to add in a few more grammes of fat to help with metabolising those carbs from the veggies. (I say this for the benefit of others who may read this who, like me, are new to Diabetes).

I struggled with excess weight loss for a good while. Before diagnosis I was slim and now after LCHF I can only be described as scrawny. I have rarely seen numbers in the 4s but for me it is a matter of compromise. I could lower my bg but this would be at the risk of losing weight and slipping back into the underweight category and besides that I take three drugs that are known to cause raised bg. Sometimes it is a trade off.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Sorry I still don't get why you are worrying about 50g of spinach.. I can eat a whole 450g pack.. when cooked it becomes almost nothing and still have relatively few carbs.
Thank You Bulkbiker I am beginning to understand it seems the only vegetable to check on is potatoes and bread as they are very high in carbs.Where can I list my meals as to get feedback as U put some info in what have you eaten today but got no feedback.I would appreciate your help.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank You Bulkbiker I am beginning to understand it seems the only vegetable to check on is potatoes and bread as they are very high in carbs.Where can I list my meals as to get feedback as U put some info in what have you eaten today but got no feedback.I would appreciate your help.

You can list your meals on here, or start a new thread. I'm sure people will come along and offer suggestions.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy to help if you want to either send me some details or maybe start a new thread tag me in..

Reactions: Mufflana

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the most part veg grown below ground spuds, carrots, parsnips are higher carb. Turnip and celeriac are kind of in the nmiddle. Green veg (and cauliflower) are for the most part of.
I like these pictures from Dietdoctor.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Thank you so much Bulkbiker this has really helped me and the recipes on diet doctor are fabulous too.This as been more help than you know.Thank you so much.x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much Bulkbiker this has really helped me and the recipes on diet doctor are fabulous too.This as been more help than you know.Thank you so much.x
Glad to be of use.. you're welcome.. enjoy your food.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I struggled with excess weight loss for a good while. Before diagnosis I was slim and now after LCHF I can only be described as scrawny. I have rarely seen numbers in the 4s
I didn't realise we are both skinny (or scrawny!) diabetics. Sisters under the skin! Jenny Ruhl says it is often much harder for us to control our bg, as we often produce very little insulin. She then suggests taking Metformin, which we are both (IMO wisely) doing. I too rarely see numbers under 5. I aim to see under 5.6 as often as possible. I think I have reached an irreducible minimum intake of carbs, so I shall eventually probably ask my GP to increase my Metformin to 500mg x 2 daily, but I shan't ask til after my next A1c and complete blood test, and even then she may not agree. So as you say, we have to compromise. I have been eating LCHF and pretty much maintaining my (low) weight. However that has been making me feel nauseous so I have backed off from the HF and added in a bit more protein to try and compensate calorie-wise. I do feel better since then, but it's early days.

Reactions: Guzzler