ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The only veg I avoided are high carb veg, I eat lots of broccoli but don't have cauliflower as my wife hates it.
Try no cruciferous veg for underactive thyroid.

Cruciferous vegetables are vegetables of the family Brassicaceae (also called Cruciferae) with many genera, species, and cultivars being raised for food production such as cauliflower, cabbage, garden cress, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and similar green leaf vegetables. The family takes its alternative name (Cruciferae, New Latin for "cross-bearing") from the shape of their flowers, whose four petals resemble a cross.

Ten of the most common cruciferous vegetables eaten by people, known colloquially in North America as cole crops[1]and in Britain and Ireland as "brassicas", are in a single species (Brassica oleracea); they are not distinguished from one another taxonomically, only by horticultural category of cultivar groups. Numerous other generaand species in the family are also edible. Cruciferous vegetables are one of the dominant food crops worldwide. They are high in vitamin C and soluble fiber and contain multiple nutrients and phytochemicals.

I have to supplement thou.

Reactions: Jemz

Jemz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.
Don't be afraid to lose weight then tell dietician how you are doing it. They need all the help they can get.

..... Are you on metformin @Jemz and how long have you been tolerating it?

Thanks I love that suggestion. And great information for me.

Metformin does not suit at all. I stuck with it as suggested but had to avoid food all day just to function at work 10 lbs weight loss through starving myself because I felt so ill after eating. Grim ! I discovered I can eat low carb to keep my blood glucose down and just take 1 tablet instead of 4. Seeing GP this week so will be asking to ditch it or have slow release form. It's certainly motivated me to seriously tackle my diabetes

Jemz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah 4 miserable weeks on metformin

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just finished tier 3 of the nhs weight management hoping to be booked on for surgery once I have finished jumping through hoops , good luck in what ever u choose to do x

Reactions: Blackeddt2 and Jemz

Jemz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning. Are you able to do any exercise such as walking? This is my strategy plus the very low carb. I lost weight - so far 5kg in 3 weeks - largely I think because I walked quite a bit more than usual. Simple stuff may make a difference. Best of luck.
I agree walking is one of the best things to do. Am not doing enough at present and my sedentary job doesn't help.
Cooler weather will help with that one

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Walking is great! Any form of activity is brilliant it's all about mindfulness, you will hear that word a lot , if u attend a mood and food group you will learn a lot, more than any slimming group that is just after ur money will ever teach x

Jemz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just finished tier 3 of the nhs weight management hoping to be booked on for surgery once I have finished jumping through hoops , good luck in what ever u choose to do x
Hi,
Feel the need to pick your brains.
how long have you been on it & how much have you lost?
Any concerns about post surgery life? x

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The advice on high fat meals giving false glucose reading is spot-on. No diabetic should eat high but MUST go on Low Carb, Low Protein, lean meat, cruciferous vegetables, non-sweet fresh fruits, low glycemic-index nuts, daily light exercise and minimum of 7 hours sleep at night.

Also monitor your BG with a reliable meter, control other health conditions such as blood pressure and do your annual diabetic checks.

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Feel the need to pick your brains.
how long have you been on it & how much have you lost?
Any concerns about post surgery life? x
Hi, I had my first intial appointment last November, that was with psychiatric and dietion and consultant, they went had a meeting and I was on tier 3 , mood and food group for 3 months (which was excellent) I have just seen my consultant and they think I'm to hard on myself so seeing psych again b4 they put me on waiting list for surgery, and it may not sound a lot but have lost a stone x

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Concerns??of course weight loss surgery is no way a easy ride, it's a tool And it looks a lot of hard work and commitment but the thought of no more insulin no more blood pressure tablets no more cholesterol tablets , less pain on my joints and more energy sells it for me x

Jemz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @sarah74. On the contrary a stone is a great achievement. I guess services are all set up differently but it's always a process. Wishing you lots of luck x

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anytime, if u want any more info feel free to ask x

Jemz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The advice on high fat meals giving false glucose reading is spot-on. No diabetic should eat high but MUST go on Low Carb, Low Protein, lean meat, cruciferous vegetables, non-sweet fresh fruits, low glycemic-index nuts, daily light exercise and minimum of 7 hours sleep at night.

Also monitor your BG with a reliable meter, control other health conditions such as blood pressure and do your annual diabetic checks.
Daily walking & adequate sleep seem to be basics for me.
Lots of water I suspect helps the weight loss.
Low carb is a given.
Playing with the fat and protein amounts is where I am currently. Not everything can be low unless I go vlcd. Great weight loss but I struggle to stick to it and don't have my maintenance woe sorted yet.
It's a journey

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had weight loss surgery 15 years ago. I'd just like to say that if your weight issue is at all psychological, and not completely physiological, please carefully consider dealing with food relationship issues before you have surgery. If you comfort eat, feed your feelings, boredom, stress, etc.. you will struggle with wls long term. It's not a magic bullet by any means.

Jemz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Concerns??of course weight loss surgery is no way a easy ride, it's a tool And it looks a lot of hard work and commitment but the thought of no more insulin no more blood pressure tablets no more cholesterol tablets , less pain on my joints and more energy sells it for me x
Agreed. My future health is paramount. I'll use the least invasive tools but ultimately surgery might prove to be the best option for me.
Post surgery might be hard, but like you say the current situation isn't easy x
Daily walking & adequate sleep seem to be basics for me.
Lots of water I suspect helps the weight loss.
Low carb is a given.
Playing with the fat and protein amounts is where I am currently. Not everything can be low unless I go vlcd. Great weight loss but I struggle to stick to it and don't have my maintenance woe sorted yet.
It's a journey

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks I love that suggestion. And great information for me.

Metformin does not suit at all. I stuck with it as suggested but had to avoid food all day just to function at work 10 lbs weight loss through starving myself because I felt so ill after eating. Grim ! I discovered I can eat low carb to keep my blood glucose down and just take 1 tablet instead of 4. Seeing GP this week so will be asking to ditch it or have slow release form. It's certainly motivated me to seriously tackle my diabetes

The correct way for someone to start Metformin is to start on one tablet a day with food, and then only increase it when they have not had side effect for about one week. Most GPs start people on too high a dose that results in them giving up taking it.

The slow release version give less side effects but also don't work as well, unlike the normal release, the slow release is different between makes.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The correct way for someone to start Metformin is to start on one tablet a day with food, and then only increase it when they have not had side effect for about one week. Most GPs start people on too high a dose that results in them giving up taking it.

The slow release version give less side effects but also don't work as well, unlike the normal release, the slow release is different between makes.

Ringi - I'm interested in your comment that Metformin SR doesn't work as well and the "normal" sort. Could you direct me to the research/evidence for that please?

I'm not on, nor have I ever been on Metformin, but very curious about that.

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin doesn't cause those side effects in everyone. I started on the SR type, 500mg twice a day, and after a few days, the dose was increased to 1000mg twice a day. I haven't had any trouble with side effects except for a growly belly at times, and when I took it with green tea in the morning rather than coffee with cream, I felt nauseous for about 10 minutes a half hour after I took it. So I've gone back to coffee with cream for the morning dose, and no more problems. I don't know how useful it is with keeping my BG down, because I've changed so many things about my diet in conjunction with taking metformin. I've read so many good things about the benefits of metformin overall, that I'm going to stay on it unless it's advised I stop it. Perhaps taking it with something containing fat will help a bit for those who have side effects, or perhaps I'm just really lucky.

Reactions: Jemz and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Walking is great! Any form of activity is brilliant it's all about mindfulness, you will hear that word a lot , if u attend a mood and food group you will learn a lot, more than any slimming group that is just after ur money will ever teach x
I didn't have a separate group other than educational sessions. Mine was mostly food effects on losing weight or weight maintainance. The correct diet and choices.