the same old same old (rant)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Oldvatr thanks very much. Have you come across the suggestion that exercise can help with Parkinsons? I read an article by a young woman who reckoned she had at least greatly delayed its progression by vigorous exercise biking.
Unfortunately my wife's condition deteriorated very quickly. Exercise became impossible. She was chairbound very quickly after DX and needed hoisting. She passed in May. We did manage to reduce her weight by 8 stones using LCHF diet but did not do keto.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately my wife's condition deteriorated very quickly. Exercise became impossible. She was chairbound very quickly after DX and needed hoisting. She passed in May. We did manage to reduce her weight by 8 stones using LCHF diet but did not do keto.
@Oldvatr I'm so sorry.

Reactions: Oldvatr

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oldvatr - I had no idea you had suffered such a blow. Please accept my condolences.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm sorry for your loss, @Oldvatr .

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for those kind thoughts. It is indeed a blow but was not unexpected. She had been in and out of hospital last year for bronchial troubles as a side effect of Parkinsons and COPD , and the end came quietly in the night while she slept. A blessing and her struggles are over now. At least she missed out going into Hospital with the risk of Covid making for a different ending. She is at peace now.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for those kind thoughts. It is indeed a blow but was not unexpected. She had been in and out of hospital last year for bronchial troubles as a side effect of Parkinsons and COPD , and the end came quietly in the night while she slept. A blessing and her struggles are over now. At least she missed out going into Hospital with the risk of Covid making for a different ending. She is at peace now.

Oldvatr; one way and another you have had an indescribable (in polite company) couple of years. I do hope you can find some time to take stock and recouperate.

Look after yourself. It's time for your TLC.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Oldvatr I am so sorry to read this. After all you have been through with your wife and your own health, it is time for some personal TLC.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Oldvatr Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife. My OH, John, has Parkinsons and dementia so I know first hand how hard it is on a daily basis. On 15th Aug he fell and dislocated his shoulder and he spent a week in hospital and they wouldn't let him get out of bed because his walking is bad. I am now trying to get him on his feet again.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Oldvatr Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife. My OH, John, has Parkinsons and dementia so I know first hand how hard it is on a daily basis. On 15th Aug he fell and dislocated his shoulder and he spent a week in hospital and they wouldn't let him get out of bed because his walking is bad. I am now trying to get him on his feet again.
My thoughts are with you too. We managed to get good care from the council Adult Services, and they arranged for a lot of the aids to help us care for her to be loaned to us. They were not able to provide physio for mobility issues, but she had good support from her mental health team, It is not an easy path to go down for any family, and it makes my diabetes and stroke issues a walk in the park (which I am still able to do)

Keep an eye in the press etc for news on the trials into Parkinsons and Dementia with Low Carb diet and also using diabetic meds. I am not going to do a Trump, but there is anecdotal evidence that these may be promising for both conditions. We did look into Deep Stimulus treatment but it is not done in the UK or Eurozone. Proton beam therapy is also being looked at in Poland.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So very sorry for the loss of your wife @Oldvatr. I hope, in time, happy memories of the years together can ease a little of the pain