There is no really low-carb yoghurt

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to Tesco today, and got some full-fat Onken natural yoghurt: 4g of carbs in every 100g. I couldn't find anything really low. There appear to be no yoghurts with just 1% carbs. I'm planning on putting strawberries in to sweeten it, zero calorie syrup and maybe even peanut butter (I don't know if that works well in yoghurt, but I'm going to try it).

Reactions: lengward

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'd check the ingredients on that zero carb syrup, I noticed one at the super market, took a look at the list of things in it and put it right back.

Reactions: Robbity

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Per 100g yogurt in 500g pots:

Tesco Finest Greek authentic Yogurt 3.8g carbs
ASDA Authentic Greek Yogurt 3.8g carbs
Sainsbury's Authentic Greek Yogurt, Taste the Difference 4.1g carbs

Fage Total 0% or 5% fat 3.0g carbs

I sometimes add 50g raspberries (4.6g carbs per 100g). Never add sugar or sweeteners.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you like yogurt alternatives, alpro plain greek yogurt and plain yogurt, both are around 2.8g per 100g.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy the 170g 5% fat pots of Total Greek yogurt from Tesco (at just over £1 per pot). I've eaten this for years both before and after T2 diagnosis, and have no issue with it carbs -wise.. AFAIK you won't get any lower carb than the figures already quoted.

lengward

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get Brooklea Authentic Greek Yoghurt from Aldi. £1.39 for 500 gm. Carbs 3.7g Fat 10g Protein 6.4g. I add some red berries from a frozen berry pack (any supermarket or Iceland). For a change I might add any of these : chop in a kiwi fruit, add some nuts, some porridge oats, a small clementine, extra single cream. Graeme

lengward

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I forgot that I occasionally add a teaspoon of crunchy peanut butter for a change - works ok. If you are eating your yoghurt as a desert after a main meal that includes a healthy mixture of protein, fat and fibre then the ~4% carb in the yoghurt plus some carb from added berries just gets lost in this complex mixture of ingredients so it should not spike your glucose. My experience anyway. Graeme

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for that useful list of exact products available in UK shops.
I eat Full fat greek with a spoon of nut butter. Organic and no idea what the carbs are but hoping that the added fat and protein will blunt any rise in my blood sugar. If we are eating a minimally processed food like this then my view is that unless you are extremely insulin insensitive then it is a great addition to most diets.
I'd avoid sugar free syrups etc. like an alcoholic avoids zero alcohol beer or drinks in wine glasses!

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Alpro plain yogurt is very low, I like almond or the coconut they are still very low.