Thin Type 2 Diabetic

thintype

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why is no publicity given to thin people with type 2 diabetes?

Scardoc

The most significant risk factor for T2 is being overweight or obese and I think it's around 85% of the risk. So, I would imagine thin T2's are the minority and, as in most aspects of life, the majority rule.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a skinny type 2 Quality not quantity !!
CAROL

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the only publicity necessary is that many of these so-called T2s are in fact Late onset T1s which many GPs like mine don't recognise. The latest NICE Guidelines are now more specific and state that any new diabetic presenting as slim should be considered a possible T1

Reactions: 4 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
There is also the "chicken & egg" relationship been the insulin resistance & weight and whether breaking the cycle on one side can prevent the other1
i.e. are te obese T2s that way due to IR or are they IR due to obesity1

Reactions: 2 people

thintype

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Family members with diabetes - mother with type 2, who died too young and sister with type 1 who also lost her life to the condition. Due to this I have always been monitored. It was picked up 14 yrs ago. I am now 65 and use the GI diet. I have always been fairly thin. My concern is that the condition could go undetected for many individuals who do not fit the stereotype. I have been lucky but many more people out there could have the condition without knowing !!!!

Reactions: 2 people

reidpj

Family members with diabetes - mother with type 2, who died too young and sister with type 1 who also lost her life to the condition. Due to this I have always been monitored. It was picked up 14 yrs ago. I am now 65 and use the GI diet. I have always been fairly thin. My concern is that the condition could go undetected for many individuals who do not fit the stereotype. I have been lucky but many more people out there could have the condition without knowing !!!!

You haven't got the 'fat gene' - you're the living proof that IR causes obesity (in the vast majority of cases) and not the other way around - plus the proof that thin does not equal healthy

Reactions: 4 people