Things to ask at my first consultant appointment

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm seeing my consultant for the first time tomorrow, just over 6 weeks after diagnosis at 30yrs old.
On MDI novorapid and lantus.
I have some small questions for him, but for those of you who've been through this, is there anything I definitely should be asking now? Or something that you didn't ask and later wish you had?

Up to now all I have on my question sheet is adding on TFTs to my bloods tomorrow, any specific adaptions for work and anything I should definitely not do.

Thanks all for your help!
Kat x

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm seeing my consultant for the first time tomorrow, just over 6 weeks after diagnosis at 30yrs old.
I have some small questions for him, but for those of you who've been through this, is there anything I definitely should be asking now? Or something that you didn't ask and later wish you had?

Up to now all I have on my question sheet is adding on TFTs to my bloods tomorrow, any specific adaptions for work and anything I should definitely not do.

Kat x
The simple answer is to ask anything and everything. There are no silly questions when it comes to queries about your condition, only silly answers. So the ball is always in the Doctor's court:)

If I were you, I'd be making notes of all your questions and take them in to the appointment with you. I often find that I get a little bit forgetful at appointments and forget to bring things up that had previously been playing on my mind.

What is it you are wishing to bring up with your doctor? Unless it's personal, you can always ask the members of the forum for their opinions - then you have a better understanding/alternative stance on what they may recommend:)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At my first appointment, I asked lots of questions about Type 1 itself. I didn't really have specific questions about me as I was doing ok. If you haven't had a coeliac screen you could ask about that too.

How are your insulins suiting you? If you're not happy with them, don't be afraid to say. I've found consultants seem to have their favourites and usually just prescribe them without considering the individual.

D

Deleted Account

I agree with the other replies: there are no stupid questions to ask.

If I had my first consultation appointment again, the one question I would ask is "when can I have a pump?"
There are two reasons for this
- if you are willing to put the effort in, a pump provides better control
- whilst I like what my pump does, I do not like my pump: it is big, gets in the way, looks ugly, I had to learn everything again, etc.. When I look back at my diagnosis, I did not like injecting: I felt everyone was looking at me, I was worried I was doing the wrong thing, etc. Why go through these psychological things twice if you could go straight on to the pump as you are getting used to diabetes and being different.

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Kat x

Hi Kat! Are you carb counting yet? The faster you get to grips with this the better. Early on I was given the Accuchek expert meter and a carbs and cals book. I've never looked back! Get on the BERTIE course as soon as you can. I found the hospital DSN is the one who seems to know all the day to day stuff about living with T1. Mine is always at the end of the phone.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask whatever questions you want, write them down as mentioned if necessary. I find consultants like to have a bit of a chat/ challenge. They spend a lot of the day just seeing patients who don't really interact.
I saw a consultant once and I mentioned I liked to row, well 20 mins later I think he had asked me more questions than me him, but more importantly the consultation was really enjoyable and ultimately led to me asking more than I had planned too.
The single most important thing to do is.......... remember the answers you get. Nothing worse than getting outside and not being able to remember anything.
Good luck.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The waiting list to go on a carb counting course such as DAFNE can be rather long @katmcd , ask the Consultant if they put your name down now so that your wait isn't too long, usually to enrol on the course you have to be 6 months from diagnosis.

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can download the carbs and cals book from plays tore, easier than carrying the book around x