Think I need a big wake up call...

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only been diagnosed for just over 2 years but I feel like 2 years and a type 1 diabetes diagnoses along with regular readings above what they should be ought to be enough to change unhealthy eating habits. I have never eaten healthily. I am fairly educated when it comes to nutrition and know exactly what my diet should look like but it just doesn't. I received counselling and cognitive behavioural therapy in my teens for an eating disorder which never really helped it just helped me accept it and carry on. I feel like all my research and experiences with diabetes so far have led me to feel a low carb diet would work best for me but I just can't stick to it. I am definitely a sugar addict. It is so frustrating when the only thing keeping me from sort of my life out is me... I need to find a way to kick my own posterior into touch sorry for the moaning!

Reactions: 6 people

aackerman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you on injections? I also have a sweet tooth, I refuse to give up sugar in my coffee and I've gone through too many years of being told what to eat. But going on the pump changed it for me, easier to give insulin immediately for anything that I eat :)

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally. As good as modern insulin regimes & technologies are they cant keep up with modern diets.. (That includes the so called "treats" like sugar.)

@Lunar_Lapin if you look at sugar as it is & how it works? It's almost like the drug cocaine..?? 20 minutes of arrogance then a drop... Lol it's a quick buzz no more than that... I applaud your search for a resolution regarding your sugar levels out & trying a low carb diet.

I've had counselling once (but not with food.) you do accept, resolve & move on... Move on to what?? In my case I found "nirvana". Back to you. I say cut the sugar "treats", low carb & see if the BS figures & HBA1c's Speak for themselves.. ;)

We all need encouragement & a kick up the **** now and again... :p

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
The thing with carbs is the more of them you eat the more of them you want.
Carbs make us hungry.
They also make us crave carbs.
Cut down a little at a time.
You hve to find an alternative way of snacking getting your fix or .... your health will suffer.

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
The kind of sugar we eat today and have through the second half of the twentieth century should not be viewed as a food but a drug.
It is an industrial product.
It hasn't existed very long.
It's a modern drug that we have been taking in massive doses.
Throughout 99.99999% of man's history this drug did not exist.
Really we have been experimenting and the results are in.
Along with the sugar experiment is the mass of industrial chemicals and drugs in our daily diets that again at no point in history have they ever been consumed ... the results of this experiment seem to be coming in thick and fast and the message is stop doing it!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I definitely agree that sugar should be looked at as a drug but. I'm on injections and all my hypos are caused by constantly injecting because I'm constantly eating and insulin "stacking" before I suddenly crash. I know it's wrong and I know it's stupid

Beth_Robinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What worked for me is having everything I wanna eat for the day that's sugary in a tin/tub thingy. don't limit it, put a decent amount in there, then just make sure you're not eating it all the time - set routines and certain times to eat stuff, because injecting in relation to eating, it's super helpful if you have a good routine so you're not constantly injecting and therefore experiencing a load of hypos. You don't have to go low carb, just establish a certain routine for carbs that's easier to stick to. Also I have no idea what your experience of therapy was like but I'd definitely recommend trying it again with someone with a slightly different approach who may be more helpful to you - it's finally starting to work for me :) Hope it all works out

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What worked for me is having everything I wanna eat for the day that's sugary in a tin/tub thingy. don't limit it, put a decent amount in there, then just make sure you're not eating it all the time - set routines and certain times to eat stuff, because injecting in relation to eating, it's super helpful if you have a good routine so you're not constantly injecting and therefore experiencing a load of hypos. You don't have to go low carb, just establish a certain routine for carbs that's easier to stick to. Also I have no idea what your experience of therapy was like but I'd definitely recommend trying it again with someone with a slightly different approach who may be more helpful to you - it's finally starting to work for me :) Hope it all works out

Thank you :) I'm considering hypnotherapy combined with another course of cbt so at least I can feel like I'm trying!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know any other Type 1s? Could you team up with someone so you aren't alone?