Thinking about pump?

Type1Wonder_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For a while now, Ive been thinking abou getting a pump? Ive got a little boy (2 Year Old) and I us to do a lot of sport but I don't really do it anymore.. I don't know if it will be alittle better for me? Really in two minds..:banghead:

Reactions: himtoo

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For a while now, Ive been thinking abou getting a pump? Ive got a little boy (2 Year Old) and I us to do a lot of sport but I don't really do it anymore.. I don't know if it will be alittle better for me? Really in two minds..:banghead:

Have you had a discussion with your consultant or DSN about pumping?

Here's some information on qualifying for pump therapy funded by the NHS - http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/is-it-provided-by-the-nhs/

Are you intending to ask whether pump therapy would be better for you? I think it's quite an individual personal decision on whether pump or mdi is better - it really depends on the person. Pump takes a lot of work to get to grips with - requires you to understand basal rates and adjusting your insulin, carb counting and getting your I:C ratio right. But it has benefits: 1) you can bespoke your basal rates; 2) more accurate bolus doses with increment as small as 0.025 units in some pump instead of half a unit which is as small as you can get on mdi; 3) much more flexible basal rates using temporary basal rates; 4) bolus discretely at the touch of a button.

The book "pumping insulin" is worth checking out if you are thinking of asking for a pump.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey @Type1Wonder_

it was a very long decision for me ( first offered a pump in 2002 ) SAID NO

fast forward to august 2014 -- said yes -- haven't looked back -- best decision ever -- been pumping for 15 months so far

hypos are shallower , not as many highs , much more peace of mind

my vote is go for it !!!!

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have not got mine yet but I have seen a lot of good things about it and people are encouraging me to go for it as well so go for it!!!