Thinking of CGM

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If the Dexcom sensors cost about £100 per month, theres an argument to be made with the NHS / CCG because most type 1's go through about 5 boxes of test strips per month. On average, it costs about £22 - £25 per box of test strips. Surely if more people use the Dexcom through the NHS, costs of the sensors could be brought down. Better HBA1C control = Less costs in long term for the NHS.

I had no idea that the lifespan of the transmitter and reciever was that short. That is a bit disappointing to hear.

Does Dexcom work with the Omnipod as a reciever?

No dexcom only works with the animas vibe pump. sensors should cost about £200 a month not £100. the NHS wouldnt allow a sensr to be used for more than its intended.

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OOO exciting DunePlodder - good luck with it all :)

I would love to think that I could claim back a % from the NHS for using less test strips that are prescribed….I would love it if the NHS even partially funded CGM (but then I guess that all gets legal and messy as it means the reason that they don't is as it costs too much). There are some strong arguments now that CGM could actually save money in the long run - it's something near a couple of grand for each ambulance that gets called out for someone with a nasty hypo, plus all the extra savings on treatment of complications that they can make by people that are able to control their diabetes better because of it and it is loads more accurate now than it ever has been. Someone I spoke to said that basically the companies needed loads of evidence to help support the case for it - I am really intrigued with how much CGM can help me reduce my HBA1c and it has already done it's job on waking me up for night lows - I can sleep without that worry and without having to wake up which is amazing - so I really hope that it can be sorted soon :)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I will be ordering soon too was hopefull on seeing G5

But g4 will do for now

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Assuming I am happy with the Dexcom I will review things after a couple of months.
As you say, in theory I ought to be using fewer test strips once it's settled in. If so I will try to negotiate some sensors instead.

How are you finding the transmitter location? I'm wondering about sleeping. I used to sleep on my stomach a lot of the time but had frozen shoulders which stopped me doing that even though they are now more or less recovered. I am still half on my stomach when I sleep though (thought about this as I woke this morning) so it may still be a problem. Is it practical to to insert a transmitter towards your back without help?

Much to think about!

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK - inexperienced and only done 1 which is on my tummy to the side of my belly button! I sleep on my tummy/side and not had any problems - it is quite flat and I don't find that it digs in me at all. On Facebook there are a couple of dexcom groups - worth looking at- and quite a few people use their arms (though you might need someone to help with this, though some apparently can do the back of their arm by themselves! - dexcom don't support sensors in that place at the moment either so if it goes wrong and you have it there then it's on you, but many people say that the arm gives them best results as it is so stable and doesn't move as much as your tummy).

Other things that I learnt this week - only calibrate when the blood sugar arrow is horizontal and you aren't falling or rising (as this does confuse it) - you can BM, just don't enter it in as it does cause inaccuracies - but you can get it back on track by entering sugars when it is on the level. Also I found that it took a few days before I got super accurate results (though part of the problem was probably my entering BMs when my bloods were rising and falling, so now you know that you will hopefully get accurate results from the start)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dexcom actually advertises on the fact you can cal while rising or falling so not sure about that...and in my also limited experience it's fine.

I find on my tummy fine for sleeping - not uncomfortable at all and I'm fairly skinnyish.

Go on MG healthcare and get a skin tac sample! Apparently very good - I'm trying it for the first time tonight :)

Goodluck Dune!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to hear you both find your tummies comfortable. I'm not exactly skinnyish though, unfortunately!

Just ordered the skintac sample, thank you.

Reactions: 2 people

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dexcom actually advertises on the fact you can cal while rising or falling so not sure about that...and in my also limited experience it's fine.

I find on my tummy fine for sleeping - not uncomfortable at all and I'm fairly skinnyish.

Go on MG healthcare and get a skin tac sample! Apparently very good - I'm trying it for the first time tonight :)

Goodluck Dune!

Interesting, I hadn't looked at that claim when I bought it - but with the sensor I have at the moment I was getting a max of 5mmol out when I calibrated on a rise (it wasn't even the 2 arrows, just the gentle incline) but since doing it on the level it has been pretty much spot on….but this is only my 1st sensor! :)

jodysd6

I have been considering a cgm for some time, and have a better job and a bit more disposable income now so am really considering it. I have read a lot about how they actually work and have seen a friend using hers (she is in the USA) but can I ask the practical getting one questions please! What exactly did you have to do to buy one? Do you need anything from your healthcare team? And what was the initial outlay? (And what is the trial/starter options I have seen mentioned?) sorry if these are silly questions, I'll probably email dexcom (or the uk supplier person) this week but if you can share any info on this part of it it would be very much appreciated! Also how long did it take to actually get hold of it?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just need to pay for it and it will arrive

They will supply a vat exception form so you don't pay vat on it

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What you need to check with systems other than dexcom is whether the sensors will work beyond 7 days

Most people get 14 days with dexcom, some get 21 or more.. The reduces the cost a lot

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been considering a cgm for some time, and have a better job and a bit more disposable income now so am really considering it. I have read a lot about how they actually work and have seen a friend using hers (she is in the USA) but can I ask the practical getting one questions please! What exactly did you have to do to buy one? Do you need anything from your healthcare team? And what was the initial outlay? (And what is the trial/starter options I have seen mentioned?) sorry if these are silly questions, I'll probably email dexcom (or the uk supplier person) this week but if you can share any info on this part of it it would be very much appreciated! Also how long did it take to actually get hold of it?

Hi Jody,
I suggest you call Advanced Therapeutics UK the UK supplier (01926 833273). I talked to Samuel & John who were both friendly & helpful.
They emailed their information including the costs of a "Presale Trial". Also forms for the trial & VAT exemption if you decide to go ahead. The only slight negative points are that they don't accept credit cards & they only have the black receiver. I would have had the blue one but I guess it doesn't really matter.
As to how long, I ordered one on Monday afternoon & I'm currently at home waiting for it to be delivered.

This is bringing back memories of Christmas as a child, just hope it's as good as everyone says & I'm not allergic to the adhesive or anything stupid like that!

No you don't need anything from your healthcare team, though I have informed mine.

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to call animas today and see whether they will sell me sensors direct as they are the cheapest and I don't have a pump yet….not sure whether I will need the hospital or GP to back me up so I can save a little money :)

Another thumbs up for really quick delivery from Advanced Therapeutics - enjoy Duneplodder - it took me a day and several watches of the DVD to actually insert the sensor, but it went fine :)

Another note just incase the software doesn't work on Macs yet, only on Windows and also you need a windows computer to be able to play the DVD with all the step by step instructions from a lovely American lady.

Jodysd6 - the initial outlay from Advanced therapeutics is about 1100 - which is the receiver, transmitter and 2 sensors. The receiver is guaranteed for a year, the transmitter for 6 months and the sensors are for 7 days (though all of those may well last lots longer than the 'official amount'). Animas are the £180 for 4 sensors and they do a pack with the transmitter and 4 sensors for £500 (so the transmitter is about £320 in that special deal), on that basis I imagine that the receiver is in the high hundreds if you need to get a new one.

When you do the trial with Advanced Theraputics you have to pay upfront by bank transfer and then they will refund part of the cost (i.e. minus the 2 sensors and a fee for making sure that they can resell the item) afterwards - but they are really helpful and full of information from my experience.

jodysd6

I think I'll go ahead, may just have to wait until payday to make sure I don't leave myself short with the initial outlay! But now it's like waiting for Christmas!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Dexcom arrived as promised...just! They gave me a 9am to 4pm window. The doorbell rang at 3 minutes to 4, isn't it always the way.

Basic set up now done & sensor inserted. The tutorial on the DVD is pretty good though it takes a while.
Nearly got into trouble with the Skintac I used - free sample arrived today, thank you Engineer88. I applied it in a "donut" with a hole in the middle for the actual sensor. Unfortunately by the time I was ready with the injector I couldn't remember exactly where the hole was! Talk about getting senile. The answer was a very bright light which just about showed it.

I felt the sensor go in, certainly not painful, just an odd sensation.

Now waiting the two hours before I can do the calibration.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dexcom 1st Night.jpg

Image of the first 12 hours or so.
Initial calibration at around 8:00pm.
At 9:00pm: Meter 6.8 Dex 7.1
11:00pm Meter 6.3 Dex 7.5
At 3:30am low alarm sounded, Meter 4.9 Dex 4.4 Treated.
At around 7:00 another low, Meter 4.6 Dex 4.4
The next calibration was Meter 7.5 Dex 5.9. However I had eaten a some dextrose tablets to treat the low so I was probably climbing & the Dexcom would be behind. Probably not the best situation for calibration.
So far I'm very impressed & thinking I should reduce my basal slightly.

Reactions: 4 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You'll soon feel like you've lost a limb with out it.

I honestly felt like i was watching black and white 4 channel tv when i lost my transmitter, instead of sky HD/3D.