Thinning hair (female)

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Grandma, mum, sister and many female cousins all suffer from thinning hair. Not balding but you can see scalp through the hair and under direct lighting it's very noticeable. Now I appear to be falling victim too. It's causing me some upset. My long dark shiny hair has always been a defining feature. And now it's leaving me.

I wondered if there was a link with high blood sugars? When I first started controlling, it seemed as though my hair was getting back to normal. At diagnosis My hBA1c was 65, 44 after three months and 40 after seven months. But these last four months I've lost my grip, and so has my scalp by the looks of it. Wikipedia says that diabetes mellitus is a risk factor for female hair loss along with low iron levels and a few other things.

Anyone out there find their luscious locks restored after gaining control of their blood sugar levels?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

My hair has thinned with weight loss. I decided my body didn't like living on less calories

I read really good reviews about taking Biotin as a supplement. So I've been taking that for a month or so but haven't noticed any improvement yet but I am still dieting

Cara

N

NicolaB70

Hi

I too am suffering from my hair thinning and like yourself I can see my scalp through the hair and under lighting. My hair is also long and was very thick but now is noticeably thinner. I have to remove the hair from my hairbrush every day after brushing as well as removing the lost hair on my clothing. The past few days haven't been as bad, not as much has come out but as you said its very upsetting.

My blood sugars,were high at the beginning (diagnosed June '13) but now I have them under control and are at a good level. I have been to my gp about the loss and nothing has shown up as to why it's happening. My iron levels are very high so I have an appointment to see a consultant in a couple of weeks and I will be asking if hair loss is linked to that. I have also found out that hair loss is a side effect from metformin and I also take ramipril for blood pressure which can also cause hair loss.

I can't give you any advice to when it will stop but you are not alone in your suffering. Best Wishes

Nicola

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Carol11

Count me in as well. About 3 mo ago I was quite ill an I read in an article that illness can cause hail loss as well which seems to be my cause. I haven't seen any regrowth as yet. :(

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Due to a variety of things, I've lost most of my hair. I'd be happy to shave off what's left, but don't want the sympathetic looks from people who think because I'm bald I'm having chemo so...... I wear a wig. No one knows unless I choose to tell them and I have my confidence back :) xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people