This 8 week 800 calorie a day thing

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Far from it, it's always good to hear another voice singing from a similar hymn book.

Count me out! I don't think I'd ever dare to have a carb binge to match yours!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes...and if we watch our carbs then we don't spike, as there is nothing to create it. ?..to a degree. Oh, there was another typo...you haven't knocked any wind etc...
Far from it, it's always good to hear another voice singing from a similar hymn book.
If this was a reply to my previous post, then you are mistaken to think I am agreeing with you.
A binge on carbs at any time is lunacy, in my opinion. More so during or just after a period of fasting.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
YES. But I was speaking to Muzza about testing the results.
The only way is to push yourself to the extreme and see how the body copes with a stupid amount of carbs.
It seems that, all in all, it's going quite well.
Not 'cured' but easily controlled.
Ah, have you considered the possibility that the carb fest could kick off a period off carb addiction, thus negating any advantage you have gained by undertaking the fast in the first place.
Also, encouraging others to try carb binge can have a really profound bad effect on anyone with an eating disorder?

DaveNN

Sid Bonkers of this Parish said this once....

There have been very few studies done on bg levels in non diabetics for fairly obvious reasons, why would they?

One that did reported that many non diabetics can spend an average of 45 minutes a day over 11 mmol/L. The idea that non diabetics never go above 6 mmol/L is incorrect.

As for measuring bg levels 1 hour after a pasta meal, not much use really as pasta is digested very slowly especially if served with a fatty sauce so any peak/spike will be well after 1 hour probably closer to 2, 3 or even 4 hours after eating.....

DaveNN

Ah, have you considered the possibility that the carb fest could kick of a period of carb addiction, thus negating any advantage you have gained by undertaking the fast in the first place.
Also, encouraging others to try carb binge can have a really profound bad effect on anyone with an eating disorder?

Yes...my carb addiction helped me to gain 3 stone in the first place.
I'm now NOT addicted to carbs, as I clearly stated that I won't do it again as I didn't enjoy it.
I'm not encouraging anything of the sort.
You'll see that Muzza was going to try a IGT at the Drs in a controlled environment. It's fine reducing our BG when undertaking this regime but the discussion went onto what happens should you decide to eat a more conventional diet?
Let's imagine just how many people will actually read about this small experiment, as opposed to watching the latest Papa John adverts.
Now, a 12" pizza is a carb binge.

DaveNN

If this was a reply to my previous post, then you are mistaken to think I am agreeing with you.
A binge on carbs at any time is lunacy, in my opinion. More so during or just after a period of fasting.
I did it as an experiment.....and my bloods are now a totally normal 5.6 mmol.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes...my carb addiction helped me to gain 3 stone in the first place.
I'm now NOT addicted to carbs, as I clearly stated that I won't do it again as I didn't enjoy it.
I'm not encouraging anything of the sort.
You'll see that Muzza was going to try a IGT at the Drs in a controlled environment. It's fine reducing our BG when undertaking this regime but the discussion went onto what happens should you decide to eat a more conventional diet?
Let's imagine just how many people will actually read about this small experiment, as opposed to watching the latest Papa John adverts.
Now, a 12" pizza is a carb binge.

I really hope your honeymoon lasts and you don't find that tomorrow, the day after, next week, or next month, you once again crave a carb fest.
I speak from experience, following just such an experiment as yours, and 'encouraged' by some other members to do just what you are recommending. It is a bit too soon to declare you are no longer addicted.

Reactions: 3 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
... and long may it serve a lesson applicable to an enormous percentage of Type 2s. Carbs IMO are NOT good, experiment or otherwise.

Reactions: 3 people

DaveNN

I really hope your honeymoon lasts and you don't find that tomorrow, the day after, next week, or next month, you once again crave a carb fest.
I speak from experience, following just such an experiment as yours, and 'encouraged' by some other members to do just what you are recommending. It is a bit too soon to declare you are no longer addicted.
I'm not recommending anything and I do sympathise with anyone who has tried this and then gone back to the dark side.
To be totally clear.
I craved nothing. it was an out and out experiment as discussed with Mezza and the OP (jamR) the other evening.
This honeymoon started in October and I'm was dong this to help shift the last few lbs.
I've gone from <10% carbs to <5% carbs per any meal and now nearer <2%.
I've shed 3 stone by low carbing and now usually under 800cal per day.
trust me, I've NO intention of going back to the way I was and I hope that my experiment goes some way to showing that things can improve with a bit of will power and support from us all.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from anything else to get an accurate OGTT you need to have been "carbing up" for at least a few days and preferably up to a week or your body won't have adjusted enzymes etc to deal with that amount of carbs:

From Dr Michael R Eades:

"Following a low-carb diet makes one a little glucose intolerant, which is the reason that the instructions for a glucose tolerance test always include the admonition to eat plenty of carbs in the week before the test. Why? Because all the macronutrients–glucose, fat and protein–are broken down by enzymes during the metabolic process. And all the enzymes necessary for the metabolism of the various macronutrients are made on demand but not immediately.

If you are on a high carbohydrate diet, then you will have plenty of enzymes on hand to deal with the carbohydrates you consume. If you switch to a low-carbohydrate diet, it takes a while to manufacture the enzymes in the quantities needed to deal with the extra fat and protein that your metabolic system hadn't been exposed to. This deficiency of protein/fat metabolizing enzymes is the reason people starting a low-carb diet become so easily fatigued–they've got plenty of enzymes on hand to break down carbs, they just don't have the carbs to metabolize. Once they produce the enzymes necessary to deal with the load of protein and fat, which takes a few days, they become low-carb adapted and no longer feel fatigued.

Once people become low-carb adapted then the same thing happens if they go face down in the donuts. They don't have the enzymes on board to deal with the sudden influx of glucose, and, as a consequence, their blood sugar spikes higher than it would on a person eating the same amount of carbohydrate who is already carb adapted."

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I tested with a curry in Saturday night and yes it was a daft thing to do but I was curious to see how I would react after 3 weeks 800 . I spiked about an hour and a half after , I tested but I didn't need to because I knew how I felt . To be fair my BS quickly went back to normal.
I'm back at it now though and glad to be .

To don't think I'll ever be reversed , I think the term should be remission . If I watch my diet and move more then I'll be well . If I go back to eating lots of carbs then I'll have symptoms again ... Simple

DaveNN

Well....things developed after. My BG was fine and then spiked up to 8.4 For a hour BUT this was 4hrs after eating. Of course, this must be due to the bread hitting my system. I wonder just how many people have a meal with foods with various GIs and present a normal readings at the 2hr interval and then actually have a spike after. My bloods are 5.5 this morning and I'm now debating on having a box or chocolate eclairs for breakfast, or smoked salmon. Err...I'll go for the smoked salmon.

Onto a proper IGT. That's very interesting information and is something that the Drs/DNs don't seem to adhere to. In my personal experience no dietary enquiry has taken place.

DaveNN

I tested with a curry in Saturday night and yes it was a daft thing to do but I was curious to see how I would react after 3 weeks 800 . I spiked about an hour and a half after , I tested but I didn't need to because I knew how I felt . To be fair my BS quickly went back to normal.
I'm back at it now though and glad to be .

To don't think I'll ever be reversed , I think the term should be remission . If I watch my diet and move more then I'll be well . If I go back to eating lots of carbs then I'll have symptoms again ... Simple
BOOM!

When society as a whole grasps that the move to low fat, high carb diets was a disaster the better we would all be and T2 could be all but eradicated in a generation.

Of course, this ain't going to happen!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid Bonkers of this Parish said this once....

Yes, the clue is in the name.

One that did reported that many non diabetics can spend an average of 45 minutes a day over 11 mmol/L. The idea that non diabetics never go above 6 mmol/L is incorrect.

Many non diabetics are either pre-diabetics or have the genetic pre-disposition to to develop diabetes that is likely (over time) to be triggered by eating excessive carbs.

The ones who spike high after carbs are far more likely to be in those groups than the ones who maintain steady bgs in the 6s and 7s.

The production of insulin and insulin resistance is also a huge factor, which cannot be guaged without an insulin assay.

Glad you aren't carb craving any more - that is a great thing.
Mine usually kick in about 24 hours after the carbs were eaten, and nibble away just outside awareness for several days. Devishly hard to spot, and quite insidious. Hopefully you will be spared them.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgive my ignorance, but why would anyone want to break a strict, controlled 8 week fast, to conduct an "experiment"? Sounds like sabotage to me