This 8 week 800 calorie a day thing

DaveNN

Again, I didn't actually suggest that those in the 'my' 3rd category ..I put ???? Of course,that could imply that they don't deserve my own support ( not that my support is worth more than anyone else)..but those who help themselves seem to react better to help. I do appreciate I that I may have touched a nerve ( I said as much). Any weight loss is a great result and you've lost the weight far quicker ( I will assume) than putting in on, which is important and deserves respect!

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...... Any weight loss is a great result and you've lost the weight far quicker ( I will assume) than putting it on, which is important and deserves respect!

Hell no! lolol. I can put on weight so quickly you wouldn't believe it. 2 stones in 10 weeks after a car accident very many years ago was the start of it. But hey, I'm happy with what I'm achieving now :)

DaveNN

Well..OK...but I bet that your total weight gain took many many years. 2 stone on so quickly is very impressive and I hope that it was enjoyable....I mean that, as we rarely eat lettuce and cabbage leaves and gain weight! The thing is that you became accustomed to your new weight very quickly and that becomes the 'norm'. So, with that, another pound or two is OK etc. Basically, we become weight conditioned. The original weight gain is forgotten.... No different to when you go out to make a large purchase and have a 'maximum' figure in your head. If you go above that by a tenner ( or a grand etc) you are only spending that, as the original figure has been forgotten.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well..OK...but I bet that your total weight gain took many many years. 2 stone on so quickly is very impressive and I hope that it was enjoyable....I mean that, as we rarely eat lettuce and cabbage leaves and gain weight! The thing is that you became accustomed to your new weight very quickly and that becomes the 'norm'. So, with that, another pound or two is OK etc. Basically, we become weight conditioned. The original weight gain is forgotten.... No different to when you go out to make a large purchase and have a 'maximum' figure in your head. If you go above that by a tenner ( or a grand etc) you are only spending that, as the original figure has been forgotten.
Enjoyable? I don't understand what you mean? I had really bad whiplash from an accident that wasn't my fault. It was agony and still affects me now. I have a chiropractor appointment tomorrow. I didn't do anything to put the weight on, it happened as a result of the accident. I was still fairly active (I had a 2 year old son who was borderline hyperactive) and I didn't eat anything different to my normal diet. My total weight gain took around 25 years, but I was constantly trying to fight it, trying different diets, exercise. Then I stopped dieting and started eating till I was full, 3 meals a day and realised that if I cut out the food that made me feel tired I had more energy. Very slowly the weight gain stopped and started to reverse. I became T2 around 4 years after that.

DaveNN

You really must chill out.I'm under the knife in May having my C6 vertebrae lobbed ( due to paralysis in my right arm...the direct result of being in a non fault RTA in 2014. )The point I was making, albeit clumsily as you are quite sensitive and is now fully understandable, so pls forgive me for my blunt approach, is that I know of no one who didn't enjoy the eating in the first place....perhaps not 5 mins later but that's another discussion. I TOTALLY sympathise with your condition BUT.. And forgive me.. you are not an idiot and fully understand that if your calorie output drops ( due to inactivity) then you must drop your calorie input, or weight is gained. The accident was NOT the cause of the weight gain ( I put a stone on but that was MY fault, as I didn't adjust my eating but I was already overweight) but inactivity, depression etc may well have been.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol and the point I was making was that cutting calories/increasing exercise due to weight gain from an undiagnosed damaged thyroid gland was what caused my ultimate long term weight gain. My body learnt to survive on very few calories and I am now retraining it to cope with as many as 1300 calories a day, when I have lost a little more weight I will put my intake up to 1400 calories. The metabolism is a fire that needs fuel to keep it going. I'm just stoking mine up a bit. I'm not sensitive about it anymore I'm just putting the other point of view that calories in/ calories out is a very basic way of understanding weight issues; there may be someone else like me out there reading this.

All the best for your op in May. I'm seeing a new naturopath in May and I'm hoping to get some help from her. So maybe we'll both have less problems in the Summer. :)

DaveNN

Damaging a thyroid gland is rare but you have my sympathy. The perceived wisdom is that the body 'Needs' 1500cal a day to function. If it gets that from food, then OK. Any deficit will be met via fat and or Muscle stores. I'm comfortable in accepting that this is not cut and dried, as the human body is still not fully understood. What I can say is that my Fitbit does use this and to the extent that on waking you are on a 500cal deficit and I should be hitting 2000 a day to maintain my current weight. whatever works for whomever works..

Yes..thank you...and very much likewise.
I will be fixed within a month of my op' with any luck.
Anterior is preferred by many to a posterior approach (ooh matron) but is slightly more risky. A posterior approach has a longer recovery time and that's what I'm having.....

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I know of no one who didn't enjoy the eating in the first place
The that just goes to show that you do not know every one and in this your experience is limited so let me rectify that as I for one am a person who on many occasions found eating a very unpleasant experience and on occasion a near fatal one.

Regards John

DaveNN

....where did I go anywhere suggesting that I know everyone.?? Of course my experience is limited, like yours and everyone else's on this planet ( sweet baby Jesus). That said..I did know someone who add an issue with eating but that's MND for you...and he wasn't diabetic.

I hope that eating is no longer an issue for you.

However, for most people eating is a pleasure...not just the sheer sensation, smell, taste and anticipation etc..but the preparation and environment.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I hope that eating is no longer an issue for you.
All depends on how my Myasthenia feels on the day some times like many conditions it can be capricious to say the least.

And yes I do agree for most it is a pleasure, but not for all.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hell no! lolol. I can put on weight so quickly you wouldn't believe it. 2 stones in 10 weeks after a car accident very many years ago was the start of it. But hey, I'm happy with what I'm achieving now :)

I went on the Mosely diet so I didn't put 2 stone one in 10 weeks when I hurt my knee and then got criticised for it .

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
And oh I love to eat , I enjoy eating. At this minute in time I could just eat :
Cheesy beans on toast
Fish and chips
A Mars bar

But alas I won't because I know that I would regret it .

DaveNN

Exactly...that's my point. I now 'know' two people for eating wasn't much fun. Anyway...ones consumption of the best part of 3 bottles of MUMm champers ( it is mummy's day) and a load of dim sums ( I can't not eat rubbish if I'm having a drink) as ended up with a 8.4 after 90 mins. Smacked wrists methinks...

DaveNN

All depends on how my Myasthenia feels on the day some times like many conditions it can be capricious to say the least.

And yes I do agree for most it is a pleasure, but not for all.

That's a god awful condition and you have my utmost respect for dealing with it and hope that you continue to improve ,if possible, and keep positive.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That's a god awful condition and you have my utmost respect for dealing with it and hope that you continue to improve ,if possible, and keep positive.
Thanks but I'm not alone in having a difficult condition but must admit things became a little more difficult when becoming diabetic but positivity is the only way through as so many here have proved, your self included. :)

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
For me positivity, knowing I'm not perfect and I will go off the rails but get back on it quickly is key .
I also like to do challenges to keep active and like to try new variations on the lower carb theme .
Works for me

Oh I hope I don't get egg on my face when I get bloods etc done later this month lol

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Oh I hope I don't get egg on my face when I get bloods etc done later this month lol

I'm sure you won't and any way egg is low carb, as you say no one is perfect and we all fall by the way side now and then the thing is to get back on track as soon as possible so good luck with your next tests and all the best.

John

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The difference between us is that I look at all 3 types and consider they all need encouragement, even the ones in the first group as living with diabetes is a long hard road.

Well done on what you have achieved so far. :)

I am now back to the weight I was 10 years ago, it has taken me 4 years to get here.
Well done on your 10 year landmark. Have you been losing again recently?