swaring

Hi all

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes (43mM/M or 6.1%) in July. I'm about 5'9", just under 70kg - so about 22.7 BMI. My cholesterol is low @ 3.7 (and my total to HDL ration is 3.14). It had never before entered my head that I might get diabetes. I've now realised that my paternal grandmother had Type 2 for as long as I knew her (she died in 1982). My father died at age 60 in 1987, with CVD, hypertension, but no diabetes, as far as we know.

I've worked in the health and care system all my life. I eat 'healthily' as far as the NHS would advise.... What I'd describe as a 75% vegan diet, with a little bit of meat now and again and some fish. So plenty of fruit and veg, whole foods with lots of pulses/legumes. Almost no red or processed meat. Some fish, including oily fish. But, not surprisingly, I've always eaten 'low fat' where possible. Olive oil has always been my go-to fat. I pretty much never eat crisps or biscuites. The occasional cake. However, having only literally within the last week started reading stuff, I'm shocked that I might have to start eating more (what I would have always before thought as (very) bad) fat, and try to reduce my carbs to near zero.

Like most of the rest of the population I've been trying for years to follow the lower fat, more fresh fruit and veg, and less processed food. So it looks as if I'll have to change that. Since last November I've been a sourdough baker. So I'm thinking I'll have to kill 'Little Roy', my sourdough starter. I wouldn't say I ate a lot of bread, nevertheless - certainly not every day. But I suspect my carb portions were large.

Maybe I'm just unlucky. But I'm also getting older (61).

I've upped my exercise. I have been pretty sedentary since the beginning of lock-down. I used to cycle (only 20 mins each way) to work. So I'm now running for 30 minutes every day. My Pilates class has just restarted, and I've bought some weights (I think I need to improve my muscle tone - whether or not that helps!).

So I guess my question is - what are the best places to go to read accessible material? What do people think of eg Michael Mosley (I've done his 5:2 diet in the past, very successfully)?

Any advice gratefully received.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @swaring - join the 'club' - once your eyes get opened to how we've been misled you will get really angry.

This forum has lots of information, with many good folk able and willing to help you.

You could also try https://www.dietdoctor.com/ - there's lots of free information on their site.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Best way to see what foods your body can tolerate is to get a blood gluocse meter and start testing at first bite of each meal then again 2 hours later. Any difference of a rise over 2 means your body cannot process the carbs in that food.
A nice ripe peach raises my bg more than a slice of wholemeal bread for example.
Yes its difficult to relearn but with nice low figures to begin with you gave time to learn and adjust
There's almost too much info on the Internet , and some very strict zealots, just keep your sensible head on.
I started with Michael Moseley before I was diagnosed. I now find many of his recipes too carby for me. In his new TV program it sounds like he might be moving more towards a low carb diet.
Read lots on here and diet doctor, and ask questions....most of us don't bite :)