This is beyond abnormal, right?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
All I can say is that where I could reasonably have expected - going by the numbers - to inject say 10 units I was suddenly looking at 10 butthen following up with another 5 (carefully calculated), and then maybe another 2 or so. I was a bit peeved about that. It went on for the whole hot spell but is gradually coming back down. Breakfast was 8 units (for 15g carbs) and I was a little higher than I'd wanted to be when I checked, but within hitting distance so I just left it.

Reactions: Knikki

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2-7 difference. Often as a top up when things have not gone according to plan. Just to add, my breakfast doesn’t deviate from 80g raspberries and 100g Lidl full fat Greek yoghurt. 10 carbs.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are the minimum and maximum levels of insulin you take for that breakfast?

Good normal level would be 2-2.5u of Fiasp, high would be +0.5-1u, low would be -0.5-1u. It depends on my current level, I can jump from 8 to 13/14mmol from the same breakfast. :(

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Because of DP I am taking a couple of extra units via pump before I ever wake up. Then upon awakening sometimes I have to either temporarily ease off my insulin for about an hour or add more. There is usually not a specific reason why it will vary. But also DP causes insulin resistance following it for a few hours, I skip eating in the am as it’s just easier because it’s to hard to control my BG levels.

But if I had DP later in the am it will last into the morning longer say up to 12 and I will have to take more insulin if I try to eat something versus maybe the morning before when my DP occurred earlier and I would then be able to take a more normal amount of insulin.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
2-7 difference. Often as a top up when things have not gone according to plan. Just to add, my breakfast doesn’t deviate from 80g raspberries and 100g Lidl full fat Greek yoghurt. 10 carbs.

Sorry to bug you one more time - are you saying you sometimes need 2u to cover breakfast and sometimes 7u?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. But it will not be changing due to carbs but how bad the DP and foot on the floor is that day, what I had done/eaten the day before and if I am going swimming at 7am. The lower end will be to accommodate the swimming, then I inject after the swim. This morning I woke at 6 to an upwards 11 though it had been a steady 6 until 3. By the time I injected after a quick trip to the loo it was on a 12 and still rising. Have taken 5 units as I ate little and low carb yesterday and expended very little energy. 45 mins later it is dropping and I shall eat. By 9am I shall be able to assess if I need more insulin or a dextrose to get me in range. Am on Fiasp and find it has a 3 hour working life.
By the way, it’s no bother!

Last edited:
Reactions: mentat