This may be a stupid question

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
But I really fancy a beef casserole. Also want to widen my food choices a bit instead of just the same meal day in day out,
So I have a bag of frozen Tesco casserole veg.
I’ve worked out I could have 100g of that per portion (guess might be bit tricky to be perfectly weighted once cooked as in caserole but should be too far out.)
Now that isn’t going to be a lot so as thinking I could just add a lot more beef because that doesn’t have carbs in it. So I’d have relatively small amount of veg but bucket loads of beef in comparison. Hopefully that would thicken it a bit more as well. Might even add some mushroom although might make it thinner, and maybe a touch of cream at the end to thicken.
Would that work?

Reactions: DJC3 and VashtiB

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'd say give it a shot and see how it goes.... it sounds good to me!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My understanding is the important thing is how your body reacts not an absolute number of carbs.
So why not try it and test to see what impact it has on your blood sugars.
And remember, we are all different. What works for one person may not work for others. That is why the advice is to test.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Leeks are pretty low carb and will thicken as they reduce and have half the carbs of onions.
Add some other greens in at the end to wilt down if required.

I just braise the beef in stock with maybe one onion (that I don't eat) and maybe some mushrooms that I do eat..
Simple and yummy.

Reactions: oldgreymare

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Leeks are pretty low carb and will thicken as they reduce and have half the carbs of onions.
Add some other greens in at the end to wilt down if required.

I just braise the beef in stock with maybe one onion (that I don't eat) and maybe some mushrooms that I do eat..
Simple and yummy.

i don’t have ingredients

ages ago I bought a bag of frozen casserole veg and casserole beef. This was before xmas before I went very strict.
But it’s taking space up.
I’m tempted to throw the veg away but thought I’d try something.
Not sure it’s going to work.
I just bunged the beef and handful of veg in with some stock but it’s frozen so I’m cooking it for hours and hours.
If it doesnt then work I’ll have something else. At least I’ll have tried at not wasting lol.

but I think my bag of veg needs to go in bin.
It’s all the worst stuff like carrot swede onion and turnip.

imfocussing on going back to under 20g but trying for my variety to make it more sustainable

Reactions: DJC3

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i don’t have ingredients

ages ago I bought a bag of frozen casserole veg and casserole beef. This was before xmas before I went very strict.
But it’s taking space up.
I’m tempted to throw the veg away but thought I’d try something.
Not sure it’s going to work.
I just bunged the beef and handful of veg in with some stock but it’s frozen so I’m cooking it for hours and hours.
If it doesnt then work I’ll have something else. At least I’ll have tried at not wasting lol.

but I think my bag of veg needs to go in bin.
It’s all the worst stuff like carrot swede onion and turnip.

imfocussing on going back to under 20g but trying for my variety to make it more sustainable
Swede and turnip are low carb and go well in stews and casseroles specially with lamb. Carrots and onions add flavour even in small quantities.

Reactions: DJC3

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Swede and turnip are low carb and go well in stews and casseroles specially with lamb. Carrots and onions add flavour even in small quantities.
Really? I was under the impression that hat the harder the veg the worse they were.
If anything, I’ll take out the veg and just have the beef with a bit of the juice I’ve got some spinach and courgette so might cook them and add beef on top.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really? I was under the impression that hat the harder the veg the worse they were.
If anything, I’ll take out the veg and just have the beef with a bit of the juice I’ve got some spinach and courgette so might cook them and add beef on top.
I never knew swede was also called rutabaga, I’ve learnt something new

But here’s some info:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/vegetables

As others have said, things may affect you differently to others, some veg may be better for you than they, in theory, say

something more, not sure why different sites have different carb values though
https://lovepbco.com/the-50-lowest-carb-vegetables-the-definitive-list/

Last edited:
Reactions: woollygal

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You should be fine with the mixed veges - if you search along the freezer aisle checking the carb content you should be able to stock up with useful things.
I have a big freezer - the sort used to store bodies - I could probably get three in at a push - so I have frozen stir fry - the two lowest carb ones out of the three types available at Lidl, also frozen sweet pepper, mushrooms, mixed veges in a low carb version, plus beef cubes, chicken thighs and all sorts of meat slices - plus carby foods to add in in small amounts for the DH.
I have some big pans and so it is easy to throw in a pack of meat, then delve into the basket of part used packs of veges to gather up a bowl full of frozen stuff from several different packs, I add half a small onion, sliced and diced, leftover from beefburgers, for extra flavour, then add in anything from the fridge that ought to be used up, a bit of chopping and fill up the pan, add water and a stock cube, then simmer for a little while, add in spices - I have a tin of Tikka curry powder which gives a nice aromatic touch in modest amounts added as I begin to get serious into preparation for supper.
If you want to thicken up the liquid taking out some of the veges and the liquid and blending them should do the job.

Reactions: woollygal and DJC3

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You should be fine with the mixed veges - if you search along the freezer aisle checking the carb content you should be able to stock up with useful things.
I have a big freezer - the sort used to store bodies - I could probably get three in at a push - so I have frozen stir fry - the two lowest carb ones out of the three types available at Lidl, also frozen sweet pepper, mushrooms, mixed veges in a low carb version, plus beef cubes, chicken thighs and all sorts of meat slices - plus carby foods to add in in small amounts for the DH.
I have some big pans and so it is easy to throw in a pack of meat, then delve into the basket of part used packs of veges to gather up a bowl full of frozen stuff from several different packs, I add half a small onion, sliced and diced, leftover from beefburgers, for extra flavour, then add in anything from the fridge that ought to be used up, a bit of chopping and fill up the pan, add water and a stock cube, then simmer for a little while, add in spices - I have a tin of Tikka curry powder which gives a nice aromatic touch in modest amounts added as I begin to get serious into preparation for supper.
If you want to thicken up the liquid taking out some of the veges and the liquid and blending them should do the job.
I think I have this fear of veg and their carbs
Thank you

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I never knew swede was also called rutabaga, I’ve learnt something new

But here’s some info:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/vegetables

As others have said, things may affect you differently to others, some veg may be better for you than they, in theory, say

something more, not sure why different sites have different carb values though

Thank you I’ll take a look

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I have this fear of veg and their carbs
Thank you
Do you have a meter to test your meals? It really helps a lot to be able to see just what a particular meal does to your levels.
I know that I only need to stick to my usual meals and I am in the normal range, even though my Hba1c seems welded to the number 42.