This might be difficult!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a very, very brief relationship with another Type 1 when I was young. I got out very, very fast because he was so self-pitying I was repelled! (Please don't throw things at me, please, please, please.)

I just don't expect people to understand it fully. I manage it myself. My son is thirty and has seen me have three serious hypos in his entire life. My husband of ten years has never seen me have a serious one. In fact I can handle my own hypos right down to 1.x mmol. If I don't go to the hospital for a long time, my husband makes an appointment for me and arranges for someone to take me there. But beyond that, it is not forefront in my relationships.

However, my younger sister was diagnosed T1 in her thirties, and I confess, I feel really really horrible about this, but at some level I was glad. Aargh. But because it did turn out to be someone I can share things with in a very easy, nonchalant way without it scaring or upsetting her. Plus, she was diagnosed in France, they put her straight on her pump and she really showed me up in terms of control. So I got a big kick up the ass and have massively I improved my own management since then.

Reactions: 4 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Interesting topic... After a recent break-up I said to my mum 'I'm worried no-one will be able to take on me and the D and I'll be single forever' and my mum replied 'yes, it's going to be very hard to find someone...' -- so you're not alone on that front! :D

... I was only diagnosed two years ago, and my relationship did definitely end because of D... There were other factors but that was the biggest reason.

I don't know the answer to your q; I think two D's would bring its own set of problems -- but I'm reassured hearing about how lovely / supportive / accepting / unphazed some partners are :)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Interesting topic... After a recent break-up I said to my mum 'I'm worried no-one will be able to take on me and the D and I'll be single forever' and my mum replied 'yes, it's going to be very hard to find someone...' -- so you're not alone on that front! :D

... I was only diagnosed two years ago, and my relationship did definitely end because of D... There were other factors but that was the biggest reason.

I don't know the answer to your q; I think two D's would bring its own set of problems -- but I'm reassured hearing about how lovely / supportive / accepting / unphazed some partners are :)
Love conquers all

Reactions: 8 people

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Precisely what my mum was thinking too @-Artemis- haha.. even though I'm only two months a type 1 having someone to support alongside would be great especially when I'm away from home. Time to dream a little more...:happy:

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Precisely what my mum was thinking too @-Artemis- haha.. even though I'm only two months a type 1 having someone to support alongside would be great especially when I'm away from home. Time to dream a little more...:happy:
Hello Teacher and Artemis,

I am sorry to hear your mum said similar to mine. It isn't nice when it is said because its not true.
I do hope you both find someone supportive. Recently my partner screwed up quite a bit with me and I found that when I needed hospital etc that my friends were there for me, even to the point one let me stay with her to recover, so I think my mind is meh its the awesome person than whether their a partner or not. I hope that helps a little.

Reactions: 2 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
....Gosh.... surprised so many mums are saying this.... guess we all all mums who believe in tough love huh?!? :D

Brownie1993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't think id want a type 1 girlfriend/wife, it's nice to have a break from diabetes talk sometimes.. I'd be worried that diabetes would govern most of our conversations! It won't be easy for my future girlfriend/wife to live with a type 1 but if she really loves me then she'll do her best to understand surely? She will never fully understand and I won't expect anyone without type 1 to, but I just don't think I could cope with all those insulin pens taking up valuable space in my fridge'!

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to think with mums it's either different generation or it's hard to think of their "child" being ill

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's certainly the maternal instinct of mothers isn't it? They don't like seeing their children ill in any form so will worry more than they really should and asking lots of questions. This can wear you down and sometimes having NO diabetic chat is needed as @Brownie1993 mentioned.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
....Gosh.... surprised so many mums are saying this.... guess we all all mums who believe in tough love huh?!? :D

Mmmm.. I have noticed this with a lot of "D moms".. They seem to think they can keep their young adults as kids using the BS meter as a thermostat control..?

I call it "Boxing Helena syndrome."

In short. unethical.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree with Jaylee.

There is someone for everyone out there, regardless of D or not, we all come with our own eccentricities, love sees past all of this, just be the person you are.

As a mum if my daughter had D I wouldn't give her my opinion but encourage her to be her own person and let her live her life to the fullest. Love happens when you least expect it ;)

Reactions: 5 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a mum if my daughter had D I wouldn't give her my opinion but encourage her to be her own person and let her live her life to the fullest.

To be fair though. You would be entitled to be concerned if your daughter had got involved with a "wrong un"? (Talking about personal/emotional welfare.) That's only natural..

Diabetes has never been the issue for me with past relationships.. Though in one case, I did have to decide. Do I loose the plot on a course of "hedonism" or walk away & be mindful of D.. (Even as a non it wasn't healthy.) But It was fun while it briefly lasted! :D

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
To be fair though. You would be entitled to be concerned if your daughter had got involved with a "wrong un"? (Talking about personal/emotional welfare.) That's only natural..

Diabetes has never been the issue for me with past relationships.. Though in one case, I did have to decide. Do I loose the plot on a course of "hedonism" or walk away & be mindful of D.. (Even as a non it wasn't healthy.) But It was fun while it briefly lasted! :D

True ! I would be concerned if she ended up with a wrong un, however i've made a few mistakes so can't be too judgemental, if she's wise enough (which I hope she will be) then she will make her own mind up. The more you push someone to do what you want the more likely they will do the opposite so there's a fine line. However if she had a condition then I would anticipate to put herself and her health first.. wishful thinking !!

Ah for a life of hedonism !!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol. You can only "red line" an engine for so long! ;)