Those Who Can't Exercise

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
I am a Yoga teacher - and one of my weekly classes is a gentle class for those who find exercise a challenge. I have people with chronic fatigue syndrome, breast cancer, people with hip replacements, knee replacements, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis - plus the usual wear and tear that we all experience as we age.

Yoga not only keeps up your muscle tone and maintains your flexibility, it can improve your circulation too - it is a great stress reliever, helps you breathe better and helps you to deeply relax ( very important when dealing with debilitating illness ).

So, if there's a gentle yoga class near you, it might be worth a try!

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
I was diagnosed with Type2 roughly five years ago and at the time trained daily for a couple of hours Sparring,cycling,rowing as well as working on a Rig with lots of stairs. But three years ago I felt tremendous pain in my back which turned out to be Bulging discs caused through Disintergrating disc disease. Three years on its stopped me training as I'm in constant pain on Butrans 20 patches have restricted movement and now has moved to several of my discs. Because of this my diabetes seems to be getting harder to control constantly up high readings. I struggle to walk distance with the pain in my feet and legs and now I have just learnt that the NHS will not sort my back out until I see a neurologist about any nerve damage which won't be until Mid December. This a bit of a rant as because of this I can't get my offshore medical and am off work unable to get benefits and struggling. Oh well hope everyone else is doing better than me avoir.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All...
Just an extra thought for you all on this topic.
I am unable to do excersise on my feet due to neuropathy , arthritis , pes cavus and talipes feet.
Whatever I do MUST be low impact !! or I am 'off' my feet for days with the pain...
I attend a lovely chair based gentle excersise class at my local church hall weekly.
We do stretch , balance and dexterity excersise to keep our joints supple improve our posture
and help keep us supple plus balance skills too.
ALL of this is done chair based, we are a mixed bunch too with varying disabilities and post serious
accident persons too.
We all go at our own pace and level , sit out if anything 'hurts a joint' etc...
No one tuts or judges us either which is wonderful :thumbup:
It is socialable too for us all finishing off with a quiz and brew and chat with each other.
Oh and we do have one lady in a wheelchair too that 'is' able to join in successfully with all the
gentle excersise's .
Hope this helps ?
Anna.