Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we should keep score as the whole reason this is starting is because of unfounded remarks such as this, post No 318

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/now-the-x-pert-advice-is-low-carb-high-fat.70271/page-16

The whole reason for starting this thread was too see how many have tried/are trying LCHF and struggled to lose weight on it. Not to see if it works. The thread was started after a discussion about this on another thread. No need to keep score.

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I think we should keep score as the whole reason this is starting is because of unfounded remarks such as this, post No 318

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/now-the-x-pert-advice-is-low-carb-high-fat.70271/page-16

No need @dannyw to score things here - like its a game of who wins and others lose .
DCUK is about supporting all members within a community .

Plus any more members will feel less pressure to enter this thread and add their
points/stories/opinions here .

I have my eye on helping many other members - not scare/score tallying them all away . :eek:

Allow them to step in here and speak up with their own points, stories, opinions .
Not everyone will be LC/HF - would be interesting to find out how/why this may be so .

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The whole reason for starting this thread was too see how many have tried/are trying LCHF and struggled to lose weight on it. Not to see if it works. The thread was started after a discussion about this on another thread. No need to keep score.
Exactly - we need to find other members who may have struggled to lose weight .
Reasons how or why - this may be so .

Allow them to come forward - not scare them away with score mastering this .

Reactions: 2 people
G

graj0

Years ago I was told by a consultant that I was one of his few patients who could honestly say that their metabolism was to blame and that I would find it extremely difficult to lose weight. Since beginning low carb/full fat last August I've lost 9 kilos.
Me too, I was told that I'd only lose weight if I only consumed 800 calories a day and that I'd have to have a gastric band to achieve that. I attended the gastric band club as I liked to call them and they were liquidising chocolate and ice cream to get their calorie intake up to 1200 which seems to be the bare minimum that we can survive on. Just as well something inside my head said there must be another way, it took a while to find because my GP and dietician had said increase your carbs, the pillocks.
With a Nutritional Therapist (a proper one) I've been looking at the where exactly my metabolism is faulty. We've been able to identify the fact that the food I'm consuming isn't converted to energy for the muscles to use properly. Something to do with ATP and the Krebs Cycle. It also seems to lead to a build up of lactic acid in my blood, we've done the bloods. No solution found yet although strange that weight loss started up again after operation. Was it the anti-inflammatory pain killers or the blood thinners?
Low Carbohydrate, never mind the fat, has worked very well for me. Needs a bit of discipline, but also no beating oneself up when the plan not stuck to 100%. I still have toast with my poached eggs on Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No need @dannyw to score things here - like its a game of who wins and others lose .
DCUK is about supporting all members within a community .

Plus any more members will feel less pressure to enter this thread and add their
points/stories/opinions here .

I have my eye on helping many other members - not scare/score tallying them all away . :eek:

Allow them to step in here and speak up with their own points, stories, opinions .
Not everyone will be LC/HF - would be interesting to find out how/why this may be so .
Fair enough comment. I may just keep a little tally in my head but promise not to tell anyone ;-)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I was interested in was seeing those who successfully followed the LCHF regime but didn't lose weight because that was the statement I originally questioned....that high fat causes weight gain. I am of course interested in those who couldn't follow LCHF for whatever reason, too, but it's those that failed to lose weight on LCHF that interests me most.

OK this is my story. I tried just about every diet I have ever heard of. They either didn't work, or were so harsh that they worked initially and then slowed my metabolism down, making things worse long term. I got fed up of being told to lose weight and not knowing how. I stopped reading books and articles about it and started changing my own diet. It became a kind of LCEF diet, but it was mine. My BG's were fine on it and I lost 7 pounds in 2 years. Not a lot but I had been putting on weight at a rate of 7lbs a year. So at least it was going the right way after 25 years of trying.

Then I found this forum and read about LCHF and realised that in my home-made diet I hadn't cut carbs enough (even though my BG's were fine) and I wasn't eating enough fat. I have now lost another 38lbs in 8 months. Not as much as some others, but LCHF is the only thing that has helped me lose any weight at all. I hope to lose more soon.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly - we need to find other members who may have struggled to lose weight .
Reasons how or why - this may be so .

Allow them to come forward - not scare them away with score mastering this .

I was about to post my experience, but having seen the hostility from some posters, on this and other threads, I changed my mind.

I know what works for me, and have documented elsewhere. So I have decided not to bother setting myself up for an argument.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp I understand your feelings. I wish you would say it here though, others might follow you.

take care.
x

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was about to post my experience, but having seen the hostility from some posters, on this and other threads, I changed my mind.

I know what works for me, and have documented elsewhere. So I have decided not to bother setting myself up for an argument.
I hope I haven't put you off ? My comment was very tongue in cheek, certainly not hostile ? I too would like to hear your story but understand too if you don't want to.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@Pipp
Shame this has influenced you to feel this way .
All members should feel relaxed and happy to post their stories/points/opinions here .

No hostility should impinge on any members .

Would you tell us your story if folk remained calm and hostile free ?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've lost five stone since May last year low carbing. I probably don't do as much fat as some though I've certainly not steered away from it as I did I the past. I piled the weight on taking hormone tablets to conceive and never shifted it , losing half a stone here then regaling it and more. Before diagnosis I'd been half heartedly doing slimming world , with lots of green days to satisfy my carb addiction- combine that with two years of terrible stress and I put on 3 st. Not eating carbs has been the only thing that has worked - even without the BG control , it is what I needed to do to shift the weight. Other people's mileage may be different but we know that reducing carbs is what reduces our BS levels . By how much is an individual choice - I just figured I like my new frock and feet more than I like the crisps and pasta.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too, I was told that I'd only lose weight if I only consumed 800 calories a day and that I'd have to have a gastric band to achieve that. I attended the gastric band club as I liked to call them and they were liquidising chocolate and ice cream to get their calorie intake up to 1200 which seems to be the bare minimum that we can survive on. Just as well something inside my head said there must be another way, it took a while to find because my GP and dietician had said increase your carbs, the pillocks.
With a Nutritional Therapist (a proper one) I've been looking at the where exactly my metabolism is faulty. We've been able to identify the fact that the food I'm consuming isn't converted to energy for the muscles to use properly. Something to do with ATP and the Krebs Cycle. It also seems to lead to a build up of lactic acid in my blood, we've done the bloods. No solution found yet although strange that weight loss started up again after operation. Was it the anti-inflammatory pain killers or the blood thinners?
Low Carbohydrate, never mind the fat, has worked very well for me. Needs a bit of discipline, but also no beating oneself up when the plan not stuck to 100%. I still have toast with my poached eggs on Saturday.
My problem was that I went on a diet of 900 cals per day, my metabolism slowed and my body started shutting down and, to add insult to injury, I only managed to lose about 1/2 stone in 2 months.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i lost 8 half stone in 12 months with lchf and continue to lose xx

Reactions: 10 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp
Shame this has influenced you to feel this way .
All members should feel relaxed and happy to post their stories/points/opinions here .

No hostility should impinge on any members .

Would you tell us your story if folk remained calm and hostile free ?

That is not going to happen.
What I see on forum is that anyone who does have a different diet, or opinion tends to be ridiculed. I find that very distasteful, and disrespectful. Whenever I have attempted to explain what I have done, or the difficulty I have with a diet I am told it is wrong. Even though 10 years after diagnosis, I have managed 3 and a half years with non-diabetic BG, and no longer have diabetes medication. I do not dismiss or disrespect other peoples' diets just because they do not suit me.
Add to this that our posts are discussed on facebook, and another, smaller, newer low carb forum, which spends a lot of time ridiculing members and moderators of DCUK, and I have completely lost interest, and trust in posting regularly.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp I won't ridicule you and I will report anyone who does! It's your decision though, and I respect it.
x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That is not going to happen.
What I see on forum is that anyone who does have a different diet, or opinion tends to be ridiculed. I find that very distasteful, and disrespectful. Whenever I have attempted to explain what I have done, or the difficulty I have with a diet I am told it is wrong. Even though 10 years after diagnosis, I have managed 3 and a half years with non-diabetic BG, and no longer have diabetes medication. I do not dismiss or disrespect other peoples' diets just because they do not suit me.
Add to this that our posts are discussed on facebook, and another, smaller, newer low carb forum, which spends a lot of time ridiculing members and moderators of DCUK, and I have completely lost interest, and trust in posting regularly.

Okay I understand @Pipp - we cant re-ask nor pressure you further on this .
Respect your personal thoughts and feelings on this .

We are here - should you ever change your mind .

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's such a shame diet & diabetes are so closely linked. If we didn't have to discuss food, we'd all get along like a house on fire. I would guess that 99% of disagreement here is about food. Silly really. We've all been subject to hostility over this and I can't see it changing anytime soon unfortunately.

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bizarrely, I may be one of the people who don't find it easy to lose weight on low carb high fat - although I am a firm supporter of it as a lifestyle choice.

Other people seem to lose weight easily on LCHF. I lose slowly.
But other people combine it with calorie control and large amounts of exercise.

Anyway (sorry to those who have read this before) my story:

Massively messed up hormones (pituitary gland tumours, PCOS, and medication that causes insulin resistance) + family history of type 2.

Had weight issues and Hunger/carb cravings since my teens, with steady 'irresistible' weight gain.
Tried 300, 500, 1200, 1500 calorie low fat diets. Hay Diet, Atkins, Montignac, Dukan, weight watchers online, tescos Online... And I think they all worked to some extent. But I struggled every minute of every day with Hunger, cravings and often hypos. And sooner or later The Hunger would beat me, I would start eating again, and end up bigger than I'd started, due to rebound weight gain.

Most of my stable weight or weight losses were either starvation or low carb. (3 stone lost using Montignac, 2.5 stone lost on Atkins). But still craved, and ultimately, still failed.

February last year at my annual Endocrinology clinic the consultant said 'well, you've put on a few pounds since last year, but that isn't so much for someone with microprolactinoma'
She seemed genuinely impressed that I hadn't gained a significant amount of weight.

Until I joined this forum and started exchanging info with other T2 low carbers I had totally abandoned the hope that I could lose weight and keep it off.

This last 10 months (on the forum) I have been low carbing, and for the first time ever, adding what is known as High Fat.
Calorie intake has definitely increased (anywhere from 1800-2800 cals a day)
I've been walking 2-3 miles a day (no change there)
Carb intake anywhere from 10-60g on a typical day. Usually under 50g.
The Hunger disappeared as soon as I ate enough fat
The cravings only emerge when I eat grains or exceed 40g carbs a day (and I then eat fat and they disappear)

And I am slowly, effortlessly, comfortably, steadily, losing weight.
Over 20lbs lost since beginning of March.

However, I have noticed that if I don't walk enough, the weight loss stalls.
I think that is because of my massive insulin resistance.
And if I eat too many carbs, it stalls.

So LCHF looks like it's a lifestyle, not a diet for me.

It's good for my blood glucose levels too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's such a shame diet & diabetes are so closely linked. If we didn't have to discuss food, we'd all get along like a house on fire. I would guess that 99% of disagreement here is about food. Silly really. We've all been subject to hostility over this and I can't see it changing anytime soon unfortunately.

Behave - what a load of tosh
No one should be hostile with another member here .
Based on what they eat or diet plan with .

Hostile unacceptance just creates and breeds negativity .
DCUK is supposed to be a supporting community to
all members .

If a member eats a sack of spuds and another a bag of lettuce leaves
They should both receive the same level/degree of support .

No sides taken within the forum - it isn't a football game here .

Reactions: 7 people
Status
Not open for further replies.