Thoughts and Results from the NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Say it in your own words. just not parrot fashion or cut and paste. They own the way it is expressed, but not what is expressed. They may also own the protocol used (like special formulas, procedures, or methods that could be shown to be their own invention).

BuddyB

Type of diabetes
Carer
Say it in your own words. just not parrot fashion or cut and paste. They own the way it is expressed, but not what is expressed. They may also own the protocol used (like special formulas, procedures, or methods that could be shown to be their own invention).

I have already posted extensively on this thread about the differences between the two courses I have been on and was just saying I have both sets of materials. I was being less than honest in saying that I could upload the pdfs. Apologies.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have already posted extensively on this thread about the differences between the two courses I have been on and was just saying I have both sets of materials. I was being less than honest in saying that I could upload the pdfs. Apologies.
The ethos of this Forum is that we share our personal experiences, which is what you seem to be doing. There are some that like to see things written down in black and white, but that would be a bonus. Provided you did actually experience both courses as you claim and report it in your own words from memory, then that is perfectly sufficient. Apologies accepted. Don't lose any sleep over it.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mrs_Carter
I too was active and ate "healthily" and followed diets for years, but still the weight crept on and up.
I went low carb last March after diagnosis and getting a bg meter. Eating to my meter, ie not eating foods that send the numbers up, means 3 stone fell off, quickly, easily and without hunger.

That course may offer some tools to help and it sounds like you are sensible enough to know what might work for you, but its so worth going low carb and seeing if that helps. If your insulin resistance has been building for years so will weight, no matter how active or low cal you eat

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Most of my favourite foods are plant-based, but I find I can't eat them anymore. I followed the links in this post to see if there was anything new, especially for breakfast, which I struggle with.
Hi there. Try googling Grain Free Granola, should give you some tasty suggestions.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
The diabetes prevention plan is run by different organisations around the country I understand. So the content and focus will vary. Some run it low carb. Some run it low fat/eatwell. It might be worth identifying which organisation is running any courses referred to here for clarity.

My experience was different. The course was run by X-pertHealth. There was of course some discussion about weight loss. We were weighed every week, but this information was never given out to the group. We were encouraged to exercise more. It most of the talk was about food.
The discussion centred around different ways of eating, LCHF, Mediterranean, low calorie. Low fat. The Eatwell plate was mentioned - as now known to be unheathy for diabetics.
All in all it was a positive experience.

dawng123

Hello, I was going to say that I've been in the program for a while and although I think it can be helpful for those that are extremely clueless, it didn't really teach me anything that I didn't already know, although I joined a smaller group through my GP and I found that much more helpful. I know that they are a bit annoying about the weight thing. I'm also overweight and used to think that it was fine. It is also true that some overweight people never develop diabetes, as you do need to have a genetic predisposition to it. I am one of the unlucky ones that unfortunately is genetically unlucky in that sense, so I have developed prediabetes due to excess weight. Excess fat is strongly linked to Type 2 diabetes, particularly the fat around your abdomen. You don't need to be overweight to have more visceral fat, but just tiny amounts of it are enough to affect the performance of our pancreas / liver that are responsible for glucose management. This has been well documented and explained by Roy Taylor who also explained that the personal fat threshhold that the bodies of those that are genetically predisposed to diabetes can cope with before the disease manifests itself is completely different for each person. For some people, it can be as little as 10 lbs, whereas for another person, it could be 100+ lbs. He has proven that for many newly diagnosed diabetics, it could be possible to put diabetes into remission by losing a significant amount of weight - 15 kg. He also explained that in many cases of newly diagnosed, the pancreas bcells aren't actually damaged, they are just inactive. The total destruction doesn't occur in Type 2 until the disease has progressed signfiicantly, so newly diagnosed type 2 and those with prediabetes have a higher chance of reawakening the doormant Bcells with significant weight loss. He also explained that so long as weight loss is maintained, it is possible to have insulin secretion levels close to non-diabetics in around 2 years. I hope this helps and explains why they are so annoying and pester so much about our weights, although it isn't of course the only a factor. All the best!

Reactions: SLLH

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excess fat is strongly linked to Type 2 diabetes, particularly the fat around your abdomen. You don't need to be overweight to have more visceral fat, but just tiny amounts of it are enough to affect the performance of our pancreas / liver that are responsible for glucose management. This has been well documented and explained by Roy Taylor who also explained that the personal fat threshhold that the bodies of those that are genetically predisposed to diabetes can cope with before the disease manifests itself is completely different for each person. For some people, it can be as little as 10 lbs, whereas for another person, it could be 100+ lbs. He has proven that for many newly diagnosed diabetics, it could be possible to put diabetes into remission by losing a significant amount of weight - 15 kg. He also explained that in many cases of newly diagnosed, the pancreas bcells aren't actually damaged, they are just inactive. The total destruction doesn't occur in Type 2 until the disease has progressed signfiicantly, so newly diagnosed type 2 and those with prediabetes have a higher chance of reawakening the doormant Bcells with significant weight loss. He also explained that so long as weight loss is maintained, it is possible to have insulin secretion levels close to non-diabetics in around 2 years. I hope this helps and explains why they are so annoying and pester so much about our weights, although it isn't of course the only a factor. All the best!
The only problem with this explanation is that most type 2 in the first few decades actually have higher than normal insulin levels, proving the beta cells are still pretty darn active. Eventually they can “give up” but this happens much later in the progression of the disease.

That said significant weight loss definitely helps some type 2 in quite drastic ways, I’m just not convinced that reawakened dormant beta cells are the mechanism by which it works.

Certainly the very low calories his methods use also automatically mean low carbs (low everything in fact) so perhaps it’s as much that as other factors. Or allows better regulation of glucose dumping from the liver once the fat around that is reduced. Or maybe the missing first stage insulin response is reenabled by the lack of fat around the pancreas.

Excess fat is as much a symptom of metabolic dysfunction and insulin resistance leading to type 2 as a cause of it. Chicken and egg.

Reactions: Antje77

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only problem with this explanation is that most type 2 in the first few decades actually have higher than normal insulin levels, proving the beta cells are still pretty darn active. Eventually they can “give up” but this happens much later in the progression of the disease.

That said significant weight loss definitely helps some type 2 in quite drastic ways, I’m just not convinced that reawakened dormant beta cells are the mechanism by which it works.

Certainly the very low calories his methods use also automatically mean low carbs (low everything in fact) so perhaps it’s as much that as other factors. Or allows better regulation of glucose dumping from the liver once the fat around that is reduced. Or maybe the missing first stage insulin response is reenabled by the lack of fat around the pancreas.

Excess fat is as much a symptom of metabolic dysfunction and insulin resistance leading to type 2 as a cause of it. Chicken and egg.
I use Gliclazide medication. Initially, I was on max dose and it hardly did anything for me, so my GP wanted me on insulin. I went Low Carb instead, and very soon as my weight dropped, my Gliclazide doses had to be cut drastically since they suddenly started working. I dropped from 320 mg/day down to 40mg/day, and dropped my Metformin from 2000mg to 500 mg

What is interesting about Gliclazide is that it only works when there is a demand for insulin, and then it squeeze more out of the Beta cells as a booster. If I take my Glic after the meal, it has no effect. So, this is evidence of the sort that my Stage 1 insulin response was also restored by my change in diet. I then had to do a blue light jobbie to the hospital, and those nice A&E doctors stopped all my meds -cold turkey. Then I went on hospital food. BUT, I did not have my sugars jump up into the chandelier, but there was a response that approached 'normal'. I found that after a while I was actually able to eat carby meals and not spike. I was in Remission, which the hospital consultant confirmed. On my birthday on the ward, I had cakes, choc fudge, and Danish Pastries, and survived with a bgl of about 12, which was amazing.

Then I had an operation, and the anaesthetic pushed me back into diabetes land again, which is where I am still. I am medium carb now, not LC , and my HbA1c is non-diabetic, but I do get spikes.

So I am convinced that I (a) recovered my insulin output, (b) restored in part at least my Stage 1 Insulin Response, and (c) can survive without medication if I need to. I did it the LCHF (non-keto) way rather than low calorie, but as has been pointed out, it becomes a technicality since there comes a point where they both seem to merge anyway. I did not lose much weight though so that was not the requisite for my recovery. Losing fat from around the midriff was the probable panacea.

Liz M

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a newbie, just joined today
I received the diagnosis by letter with my blood sugar reading. The letter gave alot of information about the diabetes prevention programme which is run by Liva and to ring the phone number if interested though they strongly advised me to join. I wasn't that interested as I have found out so much online to change my diet for the better. Several days ago I then got a call from the diabetes prevention programme and as that was after the letter encouraging me to join, I kind of felt pressured into joining so I said I would join as I didnt want them nagging me even more to join.
I am disabled and unable to exercise so I do have worries but just have to wait to talk to my personal coach