Thoughts and worries on my new condition

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
It was just 3 days ago. The doctor diagnosed me type 1 and was explaining me how I had to live from now on. Testing blood, one shot insuline per meal, one before bedtime. I was wanting to cry in front of him. The worst and most sad moment was when he told me to choose the colors of the insuline pens. There where so many colors to choose from, and my head was on another planet. Two different colors not to confuse daily and nightly. I knew what I had to face, since my mother too is diabetic (type 2 but now insuline dependent).

In the last days, even before the type 1 diagnosis I changed my eating habits completely. Now I'm studying all the reactions to different foods and to insuline. Of course I'm not happy to be diabetic, but I'm finding this study on myself interesting and fascinating in the end. I even discovered some foods I'm loving that I would never have bought before at the supermarket. I'm having ups and downs psychologically.

Using insuline is not difficult, I got used to it very fast, but the thing that worries me the most is to be accepted from others. Unfortunately I know the general thoughts spreading around through people: we are not just curing something with pills, we are doing injections, and most people find it ugly. I sometimes talked about my mother doing insuline, and many people started quickly to cross their eyes about this argument. It's ignorance in the end, but it's something that scares me. I'm still single by the way, and I fear that this will be a complication in the future, especially when my potential partner knows that it is genetically transmittable.

Did some of you have such feelings?

OHD_Foxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Stress, Diabetes
Being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes is a shock to anyone I would assume. When I was diagnosed I felt similar, having to choose the pens etc it's all quite daunting and a scary fact that you now have this thing that's will be with you for the rest of your life. The first few months for me were the toughest, especially the day I was told that I had it. I was only 13 at the the time so I didn't really understand what it meant for me and it took me 6 months of therapy before I could do any injections myself as I was terrified of needles. I won't bore you with too much detail though but a few years later I got the opportunity to get an insulin pump which I find much more convenient than pens so if you do get the opportunity to get one of those I think it might be worth considering but don't rush into it have a think first. On the relationship side of things I'm not really sure, me and my partner have been together nearly 2 years now and we have talked about having kids and my diabetes doesn't really affect her decision to have children but I guess it just all depends on an individual point of view and your own of course :)
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, it must be a big shock but stay strong and if you have any questions post them on this forum and I'm sure many people will be able to give you answers :D

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @P17BULL - I was diagnosed over 4 years ago now and I will be honest I found it very overwhelming, what helped me massively was knowledge and learning as much as possible to become an expert, that will you alot too.

I did kind of think about what others thought to start with too, but that has changed completely for me now, it's not that I don't care what people think it's just I really cannot be bothered with what other's think, I have a big enough task taking care of myself now to worry about what other's think, so I injected in public, whenever I needed my insulin I took it, have had strange responses but that's their issue not mine, I am discreet about my type 1 and I only tend to talk for a minute if asked as generally people do not understand very much about it at all, so their eyes will glaze over. You may worry about it being genetic but if you let this stop you from having kids then that would be a real shame - I have a daughter and I don't really worry that she will get it, but if she does she has the best teacher to help her manage.

Don't let type 1 stop you from doing all that you can with your life, it's so important to seize the day and live each one fully.

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your suggestion. I took a week from work, so I'm doing this first period alone at home. I don't know how I will handle the thing at work. I always used to eat with my colleagues, but now I will need that moment where I have to get in the bathroom. I find it a bit embarrassing though... Will post my feelings here in the next days. I feel like I'm not alone here, thank you people.

JJO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey P17BULL.

It can be overwhelming, I took a nearly two weeks off work. First day back tomorrow. Not excited about the prospect! Great job about trying different foods, it can be exciting, we've tried it and ended up with some very odd combos that really don't make any semblance of food! Take last night, crispy kale and broccoli friend ... looked great! Too odd to eat...

Keep posting and keep in touch!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for your suggestion. I took a week from work, so I'm doing this first period alone at home. I don't know how I will handle the thing at work. I always used to eat with my colleagues, but now I will need that moment where I have to get in the bathroom. I find it a bit embarrassing though... Will post my feelings here in the next days. I feel like I'm not alone here, thank you people.
Hi, as someone who grew up (from 13) with T1D, let me give you a different perspective. I've had it since I was 13, so over 27 years, and I've never really let it stop me doing anything (except Scuba diving with BSAC - whole other story). I'm kind of into my second career having started as a Technologist and moved into something else. I went to Uni. I've spent lots of time in the UK, out of the UK, travelling around the world. I've survived food poisoning myself in Bangkok, swimming the mile from boat to beach when travelling the Whitsunday Islands, driving cars around racetracks, playing cricket for more than half my life, sometimes in exotic places. I think I've had a full and successful life so far, and I've another four score years that I intend to continue doing so.

Speaking for myself, I don't really consider Type 1 Diabetes as "This thing I have". Sure, it's a thing. And I have it. But I also have a knackered shoulder, wobbly fingers and a bad left big toenail that falls off every year from playing twenty-five years of cricket and trying to emulate Courtney Walsh and Curtley Ambrose. I have a pair of glasses which I have to wear because I inherited bad eye genes from one or the other side of my family. I have a corn as the result of not quite walking properly which results in abnormal pressure on the sole of one of my feet. And I have a sense of humour that's often in the gutter. I like to think I'm bright, but then that also highlights that I may be a bit arrogant. I have confidence that I can achieve things, and I have ambition. I'm a person with diabetes, but also a photographer, festival goer, cricketer, lover, house owner, brother.

So what's my point? "I" am a compound of all of the things that have happened to me, the experiences I've had, the genes of my parents and ancestors and the world I live in. Diabetes is simply one of those things. It's a part of me and it's part of what makes me how I am. Do I wish I could have a day off? Well, no. I'm not concerned that it is something that gets in the way of my life and that I have to think about constantly. It simply isn't. It's just something that I deal with when it's necessary to deal with it, like that bad shoulder.

And that's the point. Diabetes maybe a bit of a hump to get over, but it shouldn't define you, and you can definitely live with it!

Reactions: 6 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd like Tim's post if I could (I'm on the iPad app).

Unlike Tim, I was diagnosed later in life at the age of 27 (last year). While it has been a big change, I can't say I've had a moment where it felt overwhelming. I talk about everything that's on my mind (my 1000+ posts evidence that) and I research everything I can that helps me better understand how this disease affects me. That's helped to remove all (most) fear and make me feel in control.

Since day 1, I've viewed this disease as life changing, but certainly not life LIMITING. I just got back from a trip to Seattle and gave myself injections in front of 200 people while waiting for a flight, I tested my blood sugar at the top of a 1200ft cliff after a 5 mile hike, and I had to go a couple hours without my Dexcom because I was fishing wearing waders in chest deep water. Next weekend, I'll be going to New York City, and the week after that I'll be going to Cancun. Point being, I'm not about to let having T1 hold me back.

Diabetes adds an extra variable that most people don't have to deal with, but that doesn't mean you can't otherwise life and enjoy your life to the fullest extent.

Reactions: 7 people

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Your words are beautiful people. It will surely take some time for me to digest the whole think, but hopefully I will get used to this "new part of me" as you did. Thanks again, I loved your messages!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I was diagnosed 27 years ago after my Ex left, I call this his leaving present to me :wideyed::rolleyes: I was diagnosed hundreds of miles away from home and a way from my two children. When the GP who came to see me and then called an ambulance said, I can smell a pear drop smell on your breath, I think you are diabetic, I said "oh s**h ". After being in hospital and very ill, I then felt so much better after, I just got on with it and it has never bothered me, I worked and even had my daughter at 42 years old.
The past few years have thrown many other traumatic and horrible things at me, emotionally and medically, I would be lying if I said I didn't find it difficult and I was in a very, very dark place, which, generally, is not like me. But, I came through it and a lot of it was from some wonderful friends and members here, I don't think I feel 100 %, again, but I feel so much better with coping with life and what it has thrown at me, it makes me fight even harder. The more I get knocked down, the more I will fight tooth and nail to get back.
I do know that possibly in the coming weeks or months, that I will suffer more and I know it will affect me dramatically. Life has not been too kind lately and BS goes banana's :rolleyes:
I enjoy walking, I was out in the woods yesterday, walking miles, up a tree house, gardening, working here and there on and off buses for work.
Type 1 is just a small part of who you are, we can do anything we want, life is for living, so give it your all and be awesome :D

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
“The most exquisite paradox: as soon as you give it all up, you can have it all. As long as you want power, you can’t have it. The minute you don’t want power, you’ll have more than you ever dreamed possible.” ~Ram Dass

The first time I felt this paradox was in the middle of savasana after a challenging yoga class. I always say that yoga is a metaphor for life, and this is exactly why.

Savasana is the final resting pose in which you lay flat on your back, close your eyes, and do nothing. A super yummy savasana is just so due after your work throughout the class.

The more you are challenged throughout the yoga flow, the more likely you are to be pushed to a place of brokenness. You gave your all, and now you are spent. Dizzy and exhausted, you settle into savasana and release your entire body into the earth.

Lying on the cold, hard ground never felt so good. You lie in silence, let your thoughts and breath go, and completely release. You feel deliciously blissful. And you might actually be feeling emotions for the first time all day, or maybe even all week.

A slight smile spreads across your face as the sweat beads drip from your forehead. Or tears quietly stream from your eyes as you feel absolute joy and gratefulness. By the end of that savasana, you feel incredible. You feel like yourself again. You know you are whole.

And it’s a good thing they have you do savasana at end of class, because you need the build up of tension during your yoga flow in order to allow yourself to really let go and just be.

Could you imagine doing savasana at the beginning of class? Mind buzzing from a long, stressful day, thoughts racing. It’s possible, but much harder to do.

This was how I came to understand the paradox of letting go in order to become whole. And trust me, it took years of meditation, reading, seeking, and savasana to get there.

We often cling to our desires and fight for them because we think we’ll be happy if we get what we want. But when we let go and accept what is, what shows up for us are often the things we need.

These things tend to be the ones that really count, creating true happiness and meaning in our lives.

But let’s face it, letting go on some issues is easier said than done. When it comes to deeper issues and matters of health, like Diabetes, letting go can feel downright impossible. And on some issues, letting go may never happen. Some burdens may be too important not to bear. That is okay.

However, even on the more difficult issues you may be facing, there still may be places in which you can soften your grip.

Diabetes broke me wide open.
I spun out of control and began a turbulent phase in my life in which I became depressed and anxious.

I immediately began doing work with myself addressing the trauma that I had experienced, coming to terms with my new health state. It was here that I began the long process of healing.

I went through the 5 stages of loss and grief: Denial and isolation, anger, bargaining. I am still bargaining, 3 years after my diagnosis. I have not reached full acceptance yet…

Trauma is stored in our bodies, in our tissues, and in our brain chemistry, reminding me at times that it’s still there, but a mere shadow of what it used to be. Like an onion, the layers of trauma must be pulled back one at a time.

Looking back on my recovery process, the most challenging part for me had to do with my clinging to questions of what happened.

I couldn’t understand why this had happened to me. I couldn’t let go of the fact that my body betrayed me. I needed to have answers. I had been wrestling with these questions and was bruised and broken time and time again, with no end in sight. This deep need and clinging only lead to more pain and hurt.

I, gradually, have come to let go of this ideal. I now know that I may never have the answers to my questions. I likely will never fully understand why this happened, why I had to experience this.

Now, instead of wrestling, I try to stand beside my questions, I offer myself support, and I show myself kindness. The questions, the injustice, the memories of hurt can be there, and I try to lovingly accept them into my life.

More than this, I know that I am loved, that I am deserving, that I am kind, that I am a survivor, and I am whole. I always have been.

Whatever ideal outcome you’re clinging to, could you be open to the possibility of releasing it so that you can breathe, yield, and expand into something that is bigger... Could you give yourself time and create space so that you can become concise and clear about your being...

If you can do these things, you will get what you need.

Not unlike that challenging yoga flow I spoke of earlier, the real work comes when your body, mind, and spirit have been fully broken, your heart has been ripped wide open, and there is nothing left to do.

And, no this is not easy. It will be hard.

Letting go will make you question your identity, leaving you wondering if you give this one thing up, who will you be? What will you stand for? Will all your stress, worry, pain, hurt, sadness, be in vain? If you let go, who will believe your story? What will others think of you? What else will you have to let go of? What will you do next?”

And here is where the paradox begins!

“What will I do next?” is a tough question that can be scary to even consider. But it is here that change happens, and you do have a choice. Wholeness is knocking at your door, and you know what they say, “When one door closes, another door opens.”

All that is required is to let go of the past and step boldly and bravely into your true self, your beautiful, loving, compassionate, deserving self. It is from this place of being that you may know wholeness.

Your journey has just begun.
Regards
Josephine

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes you're right, it won't be easy. I'm new to this, but this journey seems to be all about getting to know our inner self better, in a way that we never imagined before, with questions we would never had to think about before, and with answers that are unique to each one of us. I hope to find them soon.

C-Mack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember when I was first diagnosed last year in March (at 38 years old) reading everything I could and processing all the information and coming to some sort of balance with it. The advice here is fabulous and even though I am in Canada, this is the forum I follow religiously even though I don't post too much.

The biggest struggle faced when I returned to work was everyone trying to be helpful and telling me what I could and couldn't eat... and telling me that I would "get used to it". I knew they meant well by saying it but combine it with the "it's such a small needle, why would that bother you" and I felt resentment like I had never felt before. I was angry at them and at myself. I wanted to scream at them that I would punch them in the face everyday and they would get used to it. That they should try stabbing themselves multiple times a day to do something as simple as eating.

Reminding myself over and over again that they meant well... and coming here to read the stories and advice helped me get through the first 3 months, then 6 months... now my 1 year has just passed and they were all right... I did get used to it. I still don't like it but it no longer seems like a limitation. It was a life changer yes, but that doesn't need to be negative unless you let it.

PS. I had one of my girlfriends tell me a couple weeks ago that I was lucky, that I can't lie to myself about my diet because I have to stab myself... that she wished she had something that would keep her on her diet. I didn't even know how to respond but it is true, I don't lie to myself or my meter on what carbs I eat.

Oh and as for being something you can pass on to your children ... in my readings (and I would need to try to find it again) but also by what my diabetic educator said, Type 1 is only around a 5% chance of passing it onto your children whereas Type 2 is 15%. Take it with a grain of salt and remember nothing is a given in life

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey good news! I don't know how much time it will last, but my doctor said that with my values I may inject only @ dinner with fast insuline and before bedtime with basal insuline, so no problems at lunch with my co-workers. I am on vacation and will start my new adventure at work next Monday. At least something positive!

Reactions: 2 people