1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Throwing caution to the wind...

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Loobles, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Loobles

Loobles Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I have to find a new doctor because mine is closing at the end of the month. I've found a new one (they better have good diabetes care) and I'm just filling in the paperwork. Regarding the question "what type of diet do you eat"?....

I'm thinking of throwing caution to the wind and saying LCHF...

I was thinking it would be good to see the colour drain out of her face...what do you reckon? LOL o_O

I'll let you know how I get on :p

• Like Like x 7
  2. Mushroom

Mushroom · Well-Known Member

Hi Loobles, as you know I have posted about LCHFbefore.
    Go ahead with the LCHF statement. If eating that way, brings you BS numbers down, then it does what is needed.
    My DSN listened and sounded interested but she can't endorse it - it isn't the NHS recommendation at the moment.
    If you want a bit of back-up research, I expect you have seen this latest research.
    http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(14)00332-3/fulltext
    Says it all and helps if DSN is totally against LCHF.
    All the best.

• Like Like x 5
  3. diadeb

diadeb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Absolutly agree with Mushroom, go for it and don't lie, it's you that has diabetes not her and you know how to take care of your own body and what works and what doesn't

• Like Like x 2
  4. Yorksman

Yorksman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Tell them what you eat. It would be silly not to. They have to know. If they see higher cholesterol levels in your blood and they know that you are LCHF, they will know why. If you've led them to think that you are eating only greens, fruits and veggies and you have high cholesterol, they might think something is seriously wrong with you. It's better that they know.

5. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't lie to mine.
    They help me, if I don't tell them the facts, they''ll help me badly.
    For exampe, I went for my last blood test after two weeks letting myself go on holiday.
    I could have gone two weeks later, and massaged the figures, but i'd be lieing about who I was.
    So, be honest.
    If they don't like it, find someone else, but always be yourself, and believe in what you are.
    Don't let anyone tell you not to be.

6. Loobles

What's all this about people thinking I'm going to lie? I've just said I'm going to tell them I'm doing LCHF. I have no intention of lying...educating, yes...lying, no.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Scandichic

Scandichic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good luck with that one! :confused:
    My DN refused to see me again after I refused to eat starchy carbs and referred me on to the hospital. They were also anti low carb but were at least pleasant about it and at least I got added to the list for the retina scan. Infact the consultant was bloody furious and wrote to my doc. I see a different doc at that surgery and he supports low carb but not high fat. Doesn't like my cholestrol (HDL 1.3 - good, LDL 6 - not good but triglycerides 0.61 - totally fab!) , likes my 3 stone weight loss and my hba1c of 37! I reduced my hba1c from 79 to 42 in 3 months on LCHF! No statins - pointed out my HDL and trigs and said I didn't like the memory loss! Started to think I was losing the plot. Oddly enough my memory is fine now I don't take statins! :D:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Scandichic

Scandichic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Interesting that lots of names attached to that report are Scandinavian! Wish LCHF would become more mainstream in the UK!
    FYI @modesty007

• Like Like x 2
  9. sanguine

sanguine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Loobles - I think they're just wondering what you might have put on the form if you weren't 'throwing caution to the wind'?

10. cold ethyl

cold ethyl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Go for it. It's your choice. Obviously the lot running my DESMOND course didn't approve, but my nurse basically said best thing if you can manage it and my GP is a low carber. I think it is important to find something that works for you. I don't go overboard on the fat bit as it is very calorie dense, bit greasy tasty to me and I tend to think if I didn't eat it by the bucket load before, that I don't need to now.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Loobles

Probably would have left it blank TBH

12. Loobles

I told my GP and the company doctor I was doing lower carb and they both agreed it was sensible...goodness knows what the dietician will think though...not met him yet. I haven't really mentioned the high fat bit though. If it comes to it, we'll have to agree to disagree, but my lipids are currently fine, and as long as it stays that way, and my weight and A1c reduces then I really don't see what they can complain about. Defies logic if they can argue my diet isn't working when all the parameters are heading in the right direction...but I'm sure they will. I'll have to get my boxing gloves out.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook