Thrush and type 2 diabetic

Whydoineedone

Just a word of caution... I tried to buy canestan over the counter last year and the pharmacist actually asked if I was diabetic and then said she couldn't sell it to me ! So I did get it from G.P - who never batted and eyelid and didn't give me any advice about it being connected to my sugar levels or anything - so that was a fat lot of use - apart from the fact that I didn't have to pay for it ! tee heee. Bought some more recently in a different chemist (yes, I could do with better sugar control - obv :( ) and this one asked me how old I am as, apparantly they can't sell it to over 60's !! Leaving aside a vague sense of surprise at her thinking I could be over 60 I suppose the best thing - and cheapest - is to get it from G.p. Supermarket is so much easier though :think:
I tried to buy clotrimazole today. Sensed there would be an issue about me being diabetic so I lied but had no idea she couldn’t sell it to me because I’m over 60! So hubby was with me - he’s 58 so he bought it after we said it was for him. For God’s sake - more nannying! We know our own bodies don’t we? Next time I’ll just lie about my age too.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried to buy clotrimazole today. Sensed there would be an issue about me being diabetic so I lied but had no idea she couldn’t sell it to me because I’m over 60! So hubby was with me - he’s 58 so he bought it after we said it was for him. For God’s sake - more nannying! We know our own bodies don’t we? Next time I’ll just lie about my age too.
Maybe order online. You just click away any busy-body pop-ups. ;)

HEG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I agree with the other answers but would add. I was diagnosed with Type 2 thanks to a bout of thrush that refused to go away after taking various tablets and creams. I got my sugars under control and thrush did clear up

Forward 7 years diet controlled only (but badly) and I am menopausal and the return of the thrush has happened. This time after two treatments (brought directly from a chemist without prescription) within 6 months (states on the instructions in the thrush meds) I returned to the doctors.

She was very helpful and understood the impact of symptoms. She gave me a six month treatment programme which consists of 1 oral tablet once a week. Halfway through and she retested and upped the meds to twice a week as some thrush was located in the smear test. I have no symptoms of thrush and yes in return for the lack of sore, itching areas i promised the doctors I would get my sugar levels down and together we will sort out the menopause which also cause thrush.