Thyroid issues and difficulty managing levels

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

So following my last post regarding my thyroid I’m going through some testing at the moment and should have results today.

I’ve noticed since I’ve become aware of the thyroid issue that my levels have become increasingly difficult to manage as the weeks have gone on. I expect stress and worrying for results could be a factor to this.

but it’s very difficult lately to keep my sugar below 10 for any long periods of time. It’s almost like my insulin doesn’t do its job as effectively as before, I’ve played with my doses just to try and combat the highs (sometimes being 30mmol) which can be very frightening. It seems I’ve had an
Increase of hypo’s though, especially at night so I was told to lower my dose slightly but now I wake rarely below 10.

Anyone with thyroid issues experienced trouble keeping their levels stable and within range? Will this change and become more manageable once I start thyroid treatment? I’ve didn’t even bother with breakfast this morning as I woke up at 18mmol, even with a correction, exercise and no breakfast I’m still only down at 10mmol 3 hours later.

I’ve spoken to my doctor and he said for me to just do what I can until my results are in but I’m just getting so easily frustrated with the sugar swings.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Chloelox - I have an underactive thyroid and before diagnosis I was fighting insulin resistance, it took a around a month or 2 once I started on thyroxine to get my levels more manageable but only when my dose for my thyroid was working effectively, so be prepared that even once you start taking medication it can take a while for things to settle down again but it will improve, it's all a balancing act though as all hormones have a part to play in the role of insulin requirements.

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Chloelox - I have an underactive thyroid and before diagnosis I was fighting insulin resistance, it took a around a month or 2 once I started on thyroxine to get my levels more manageable but only when my dose for my thyroid was working effectively, so be prepared that even once you start taking medication it can take a while for things to settle down again but it will improve, it's all a balancing act though as all hormones have a part to play in the role of insulin requirements.

thanks for the reply Juicy, My symptoms and previous results point towards under active thyroid however they wanted to rule out hashimotos. I just feel so dreadfully sluggish all the time, like I have absolutely no energy in my body. So I’m eager to start treatment! Although not comforting that the blood sugar swings may continue for a short time until the hormones do their job I am hopeful to just get my levels back under control.

at least I know now that the issue will balance out eventually. I was a little disheartened thinking that I would never get control of my glucose again and would forever be riding the rollercoaster.

Reactions: Hopeful34
Just as an FYI even between non-diabetics hba1c and cholesterol is elevated in those suffering from hypothyroidism, with optimal treatment allegedly it gets better.
I’m not on my optimal dose yet, so can confirm control is a full time employment to even just hit 60-70% TIR!
That or no food.
Have been diagnosed end of last year and it’s a long road ahead..

just as an FYI for anyone wanting knowledge and help (because you are very likely to have fight GP and even some Endo ignorance to get optimal treatment!) have a look and the Thyroid UK forum in Healthunlocked there are many extremely, extremely knowledgeable people in that forum that are worth their weight in gold!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
thanks for the reply Juicy, My symptoms and previous results point towards under active thyroid however they wanted to rule out hashimotos. I just feel so dreadfully sluggish all the time, like I have absolutely no energy in my body. So I’m eager to start treatment! Although not comforting that the blood sugar swings may continue for a short time until the hormones do their job I am hopeful to just get my levels back under control.

at least I know now that the issue will balance out eventually. I was a little disheartened thinking that I would never get control of my glucose again and would forever be riding the rollercoaster.

To be honest before I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid I felt like I was going a bit mental, was so slow, sluggish and lethargic all the time, it really got me down, so it was great to finally get a diagnosis and start medication, but just be patient that it doesn't come right straight away, will take a time to get your dose right and feel 'normal' again, good luck, hope you find something out soon.