Thyroid

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got to see my Gp tmro about a recent Thyroid blood test i had to discuss the results....i'm not expecting good. news bcos i am overweight and struggling to lose any b4 i had Diabetes i was told my thyroid was average but struggling to stay average .....hope they put me on pills worried incase they can't give me anything bcos of other meds i'm on.Not on any for .y Diabetes yet thankfully but i am 4 Blood pressure and Depression and Anxiety...was going to give me Appetite suppressants years ago b4 i got Diabetes then discovered they couldn't bcos of my Blood pressure meds!!!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got to see my Gp tmro about a recent Thyroid blood test i had to discuss the results....i'm not expecting good. news bcos i am overweight and struggling to lose any b4 i had Diabetes i was told my thyroid was average but struggling to stay average .....hope they put me on pills worried incase they can't give me anything bcos of other meds i'm on.Not on any for .y Diabetes yet thankfully but i am 4 Blood pressure and Depression and Anxiety...was going to give me Appetite suppressants years ago b4 i got Diabetes then discovered they couldn't bcos of my Blood pressure meds!!!
Thyroid meds are basically supplemens of hormones you would have made yourself if all was working correctly, so as far as I know they shouldn't clash with other medications. That said, it is wise to not take them at the same time if your other pills contain magnesium. (The hormones will latch onto that instead of getting absorbed into your body, so make sure there's a few hours between ingesting. And if you eat a lot of soy, like yoghurt or milk replacement, a fine layer builds up in your bowels preventing absorbsion as well. Just so you know.). It's important to have good thyroidhormone levels if you're diabetic... My numbers were a mess before I got my dosage sorted. So if there turns out to be a problem, do get it sorted, as it does help. Good luck!

Reactions: Julie27318

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thyroid hormone tabs can be taken with any meds have been on them for many years

Reactions: Julie27318

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take thyroxine along with medication for mental health issues. In fact it was a routine blood test done whilst I was in hospital that discovered I had problems with my thyroid. Its very common in patients with mental health issues along with problems with vitamin B12 :)

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
they have changed the make up so now they need to be taken on empty stomach 1 hr before everything and with water only no caffeine. This affects their absorption. Since I have been taking properly my does has halved by like said above should not be taken close to magnesium and especially not iron- 4 hrs away. Makes it challenging. Thyroid problems very common with diabetes and so is coeliac too apparently so should be tested every 5 years. Also vitamin d problems so if tiredness does not improve get them to do a full blood count. Had one done at diabetic clinic and showed up all sorts of stuff.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Very tired most of the time just had bloods done and all ok cept the diabetes which was high so now waiting to see the nurse to see if need different insulin which I hope I do not as no time for carb counting at the present

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thyroid meds are basically supplemens of hormones you would have made yourself if all was working correctly, so as far as I know they shouldn't clash with other medications. That said, it is wise to not take them at the same time if your other pills contain magnesium. (The hormones will latch onto that instead of getting absorbed into your body, so make sure there's a few hours between ingesting. And if you eat a lot of soy, like yoghurt or milk replacement, a fine layer builds up in your bowels preventing absorbsion as well. Just so you know.). It's important to have good thyroidhormone levels if you're diabetic... My numbers were a mess before I got my dosage sorted. So if there turns out to be a problem, do get it sorted, as it does help. Good luck!
Yeah i know.....my Mum had underactive thyroid she was on Thyroxine

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take thyroxine along with medication for mental health issues. In fact it was a routine blood test done whilst I was in hospital that discovered I had problems with my thyroid. Its very common in patients with mental health issues along with problems with vitamin B12 :)
Really? didn't know that! I have Mental Health problem too....Depression and Social Anxiety Disorder

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really? didn't know that! I have Mental Health problem too....Depression and Social Anxiety Disorder

If you have a good doctor ask them to test you next time you're in the surgery. If not and you have a mental health care team ask one of them

diannesharpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Its

akccoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thyroid deficiency can cause mental health problems. My teenage daughter become depressed due to it. Her dosage hadn't been checked for some time and proved to be too low. It took several months for the correct dose of Thyroxine to work and she was then ok. The depression was pretty worrying at the time, for her and me. If she gets depressed again the first thing we'll ask the GP for is a thyroid test.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have a blood test every year to check thyroid have had under active since i was very young and I only found out about it when doing the endocrine glands in my Nursing training and thought hey I have some of them symptoms so went to the Doctors and told him the symptoms I did not presume to tell him what I thought it was. When the test came back I had Myxodemia
(( Myxedema or myxoedema is a term used synonymously with severe hypothyroidism. However, the term is also used to describe a dermatological change that can occur in hypothyroidism and some forms of hyperthyroidism.)) which they said they had never known any one have it so young but started on levothiroxine and was years before got the dosage right I was 24 years old ...have to say always best to have the right dosage as can cause mental health problems if over dose once I was so scared to go into shops as would shake and start to sweat I went back to the Doctors and he did a blood test and it came back and he did show me it ...the writing wa sin bold red letters OVERDOSING and had to cut the dosage down ........

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
fter years of taking 100 mg of levothiroxine the Doc decided to lower it to 75 mg a day...maybe not be so hypo now laughs