Thyroid

Dandelade

Hi,

With no family history of diabetes and a strong family history of hypothyroidism I wasn’t convinced by GP who said no need for testing (hit a wall after 3 hours activity and very very tired after).

So I used letsgettested. Results are high for antibodies (TPEX and TGAB), TSH high which is what I presume is keeping my t3 and t4 in normal range but free t4 low.

I know I need to actually speak to a doctor and will but would appreciate others experience.
1. It suggests subclinical hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s yes?
2. Is that what is causing the wall after 3 hours?
3. My reading suggests lots of mixed opinions about whether or not medication needed, I am fine without it apart from the 3 hour thing (actually it is quite daily life choices limiting) - should I even be asking? Will it make me feel better?
4. I’m not massively well read on hypothyroidism but does it indicate I could have antibodies against the pancreas too in a honeymoon period of still producing insulin and controlling with low carb? Should this be something I’m asking or a stupid question?!
5. How do thyroid and insulin resistance work? I mean other than low carb and strength training is there a difference in approach? Other things to be doing?

Thank you for getting to end of my stream of consciousness and reading, my head is turned around from the results today.

Edited to remove long rant...

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is possible to be type two with a failed thyroid, though in the last few months my medication has been reduced twice as my thyroid levels are high. I have been taking Thyroxine for a very long time so I am puzzled about the change. I got a phone call about the last reduction today and could not get any explanation for needing to supplement less.

Dandelade

It is possible to be type two with a failed thyroid, though in the last few months my medication has been reduced twice as my thyroid levels are high. I have been taking Thyroxine for a very long time so I am puzzled about the change. I got a phone call about the last reduction today and could not get any explanation for needing to supplement less.
Thank you for the reply, I’m totally overthinking everything I know.

What an odd result for yourself! Maybe you’ve become less insulin resistant which has impacted mysteriously on thyroxine levels? I honestly can’t believe how little is really known.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the reply, I’m totally overthinking everything I know.

What an odd result for yourself! Maybe you’ve become less insulin resistant which has impacted mysteriously on thyroxine levels? I honestly can’t believe how little is really known.
The thyroid failure was long before diabetes was diagnosed - though I have always been urged to eat carbs as they are 'healthy' - even though they made me feel unwell - perhaps it is part of the reason why, as I have been consistently low carb since the moment of diagnosis rather than only intermittently before.