Thyroxin and Type 1

annienich63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.
New to forum would appreciate help. Type 1 for 3 years managing ok. Low doses of lantus and novorapid. Highest bloods occasionally 12. Hba1 56. Three weeks into taking thyroxin and bloods up to 17 and as if resistant to insulin doing 3 times the doses. Doc and DSN have no answers?! Wondering if anyone else had such increases with meds as no other explanation.
Many thanks.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although it is a long time since I started to take Thyroxin there was an interval during the time I was gradually ramping up the dose to what I needed - it has to be done slowly to prevent palpitations and other unpleasant side effects, where - if anything - I felt worse than ever. Things did start to get better once I was off the lowest dose but as the thyroid effects so many different systems and they probably have not been working well for a while, all sorts of things could be out of balance.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi. I've been taking Levothyroxine for years and then in Aug this year was diagnosed with T1. I take Levemir and Novorapid so my situation is the reverse of yours. I can only think that it's the body getting used to the Thyroxin. Sorry I can't be more informative than that but to let you know my BGs have lowered and taking the Levothyroxine hasn't contributed or had an adverse affect. Hope this makes sense. Sue

annienich63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've been taking Levothyroxine for years and then in Aug this year was diagnosed with T1. I take Levemir and Novorapid so my situation is the reverse of yours. I can only think that it's the body getting used to the Thyroxin. Sorry I can't be more informative than that but to let you know my BGs have lowered and taking the Levothyroxine hasn't contributed or had an adverse affect. Hope this makes sense. Sue

annienich63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your response. It's the fact that GP etc don't seem to connect the two but too much of a coincidence I think. I didn't even feel as if I needed the thyroxin to be honest! Guess it will just take time as you saif

annienich63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although it is a long time since I started to take Thyroxin there was an interval during the time I was gradually ramping up the dose to what I needed - it has to be done slowly to prevent palpitations and other unpleasant side effects, where - if anything - I felt worse than ever. Things did start to get better once I was off the lowest dose but as the thyroid effects so many different systems and they probably have not been working well for a while, all sorts of things could be out of balance.

annienich63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your response. I guess it will just take time but so frustrating as normally my BS are quite stable and wasn't my choice to have the thyroid meds but know I have to take the professionals advice! My DSN says they have No patients who have diabetes and thyroid problems which I find hard to believe (according to Google!!)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to recall @himtoo being diagnosed with thyroid issues a while ago, so just tagging him for his expereriences.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know if it is the Thyroxin or not - but having taken it for a long time now I find that people are shocked to discover how old I am - they usually guess at at least ten years younger than the 66 actual years I have - a couple of times 'about 50?' - so it might be worthwhile taking it. It is the only medication I have had consistently over the years.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @annienich63 I'm on Levothyroxine since having radioiodine treatment in 2001 - I wish I could help you with some advice on what to expect as a new thyroxine patient as a type 1 but I don't have any recollection of the time I started on it I'm afraid. Tagging @Gaz-M as he too is post-radioiodine and on thyroxine.

Hope this post even makes sense! Just checked and I'm 3.8. Soz. Mildly incoherent....

:rolleyes:

annienich63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @annienich63 I'm on Levothyroxine since having radioiodine treatment in 2001 - I wish I could help you with some advice on what to expect as a new thyroxine patient as a type 1 but I don't have any recollection of the time I started on it I'm afraid. Tagging @Gaz-M as he too is post-radioiodine and on thyroxine.

Hope this post even makes sense! Just checked and I'm 3.8. Soz. Mildly incoherent....

:rolleyes:

annienich63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your response anyway. At least it's making me realise there are lots of us in the same boat! Day by day I think!

annienich63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if it is the Thyroxin or not - but having taken it for a long time now I find that people are shocked to discover how old I am - they usually guess at at least ten years younger than the 66 actual years I have - a couple of times 'about 50?' - so it might be worthwhile taking it. It is the only medication I have had consistently over the years.

annienich63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that's a positive for taking it thank you. Maybe I should have done it years ago. Just the blood sugars to sort out now!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Hi yes I'm on 125mg of thyroxcine daily after having radio iodine treatment a couple of years back. I never noticed a change in my insulin needs tbh, but as we all know our insulin needs change from time to time

Reactions: Snapsy

torzhill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that's a positive for taking it thank you. Maybe I should have done it years ago. Just the blood sugars to sort out now!

Hi, I’ve experienced exactly the same as this! I’ve been on thyroxine for about 3 1/2 weeks now and my blood sugars have been so much higher than normal and I’m taking x 3 novarapid than normal. I usually have good control and it’s really worrying me :( I’ve upped my levemir by 3 units both morning and night and it’s settled but like you I have no other don’t explanation other than the thyroxine!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Armour thyroid drug safety information states: “Diabetes patients – Armour Thyroid may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely.” The drug information sheet for the brand name Eltroxin and generic levothyroxine specifically states that “Levothyroxine raises blood sugar levels. For people with diabetes, this may result in an increase in the requirements for insulin or antidiabetes medications. Monitor your blood sugar more closely when starting or changing doses of this medication.”

Source,,
https://www.wellnessresources.com/news/thyroid-meds-increase-risk-for-elevated-blood-sugar

annienich63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Armour thyroid drug safety information states: “Diabetes patients – Armour Thyroid may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely.” The drug information sheet for the brand name Eltroxin and generic levothyroxine specifically states that “Levothyroxine raises blood sugar levels. For people with diabetes, this may result in an increase in the requirements for insulin or antidiabetes medications. Monitor your blood sugar more closely when starting or changing doses of this medication.”

Source,,
https://www.wellnessresources.com/news/thyroid-meds-increase-risk-for-elevated-blood-sugar

annienich63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for this response. As I said in my original post found it baffling that the DSN wasn't aware of links so was interesting to read this.

annienich63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’ve experienced exactly the same as this! I’ve been on thyroxine for about 3 1/2 weeks now and my blood sugars have been so much higher than normal and I’m taking x 3 novarapid than normal. I usually have good control and it’s really worrying me :( I’ve upped my levemir by 3 units both morning and night and it’s settled but like you I have no other don’t explanation other than the thyroxine!