Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi everyone using the Glucometer,

If I take a bg reading immediately or within a few min. after eating,
my glucose number can be as high as 9.0 (Cdn.), and sometimes make me drowsy. Within 1-2 hours it goes down to 4.0-7.0. I take my meds beforee and after the meal for lunch and supper (glubutride and Metformin). The high numbers alarm me a bit but I wonder if this is normal for immediate postprandrial eating measurement as they take a gradual decline.

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that the advice on this forum is to test before you eat and then two hours after. If you test just after you eat, of course your numbers would be high as your body is just dealing with the food you have ingested. I am sure others will respond to you soon with more info. Also the numbers you mention seem to be within guidelines.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Thanks for the reply CeeCee59,

I have a schedule for eating, meals spaced approx. 4 hours apart, so I have neglected before and after measuring in order to cut down on the blood draws. Maybe, I'll try that-- I rather doubt that the high number will change immediately after a meal.

It is time consuming to eat more small meals through the day which might eliminate a "surge" from a low bg to a high one due to larger food intake. But I thank you for your feedback on the decline being OK. I do take Synthroid in the a.m. so maybe in the a.m. my metabolism is faster.