Timing of ketosis checks

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just received the (free) Caresens Dual meter, which I ordered specifically to test whether I am in ketosis.

I understand from Diet Doctor that optimum ketosis is between 1.5 - 3 mmols, but have question as to whether there is a particular time of day (in relation to meals or otherwise) that is best to test. The strips are expensive, so I don’t want to do it several times a day if I can avoid it.

I tested before dinner tonight (I am eating one meal a day at the moment so had not consumed anything other than double cream in a couple of cups of tea since dinner last night) and got a reading of 4.7, so I’m definitely very much in ketosis.

Grateful for any thoughts.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just received the (free) Caresens Dual meter, which I ordered specifically to test whether I am in ketosis.

I understand from Diet Doctor that optimum ketosis is between 1.5 - 3 mmols, but have question as to whether there is a particular time of day (in relation to meals or otherwise) that is best to test. The strips are expensive, so I don’t want to do it several times a day if I can avoid it.

I tested before dinner tonight (I am eating one meal a day at the moment so had not consumed anything other than double cream in a couple of cups of tea since dinner last night) and got a reading of 4.7, so I’m definitely very much in ketosis.

I usually find that my evening readings are higher than my mornings... and they are always highest (and blood glucose lowest) when fasting.

But you made me check my strips and I just found they are past their eat by date! bums.. Will test again and see where I am..0.3 hmm will have to try again later and see what that shows..

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I've only ever used ketostix just out of curiosity once, when I was doing a three-shakes-a-day diet, which was a "low everything" diet but the main energy was from carbs, about 100-110g a day. It claimed to put you in "mild ketosis". I didn't want to buy an expensive meter just to find out but wondered if ketostix, in spite of their limitations, would show anything in my urine.

Without fail, during the day they showed nothing, right up to and including bedtime. Then I'd be going to the toilet at least 4 times during the night, and tested each time. They got darker and darker each time, then after getting up for the day and having breakfast, they went back to showing nothing.

So all that showed me is that I was in a regular pattern of some sort. If the production of ketones is anything like the production of glucose, then you may find that, in the same way some people have their peak glucose in the morning and others don't, everyone is different. I'd be tempted, in spite of the expense, to spend a couple of days testing at different times to get a feel for your own highs and lows then decide from there when to test in future.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people

Hi @Goonergal
I can't find any advice on this. I started by testing every evening, 2 hours after my last food, ie 21:30, because that seemed logical to me. However, I read an article on Diet Doctor about proteins affecting keto status, and they were checking every morning at the same time as fasting blood glucose. So I am now doing that. But if anyone can tell me a better time, I will change again.
One of my biggest take aways from doing the readings is how quickly having extra carbs affects the ketone readings, a much bigger affect than on the glucose readings.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my biggest take aways from doing the readings is how quickly having extra carbs affects the ketone readings, a much bigger affect than on the glucose readings.
Very true.. Carbs have a much bigger impact on taking you out of ketosis almost immediately I think although because I eat so few it's hard to tell..

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Very true.. Carbs have a much bigger impact on taking you out of ketosis almost immediately I think although because I eat so few it's hard to tell..
I recently had a holiday in Florida, with an ice cream every day, my only indulgence - no bread, root veg, fruit, pasta, rice etc. Not complaining, but I spent 3 weeks out of ketosis!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually find that my evening readings are higher than my mornings... and they are always highest (and blood glucose lowest) when fasting.

But you made me check my strips and I just found they are past their eat by date! bums.. Will test again and see where I am..0.3 hmm will have to try again later and see what that shows..

Thanks. I’ve tested a few times now and am finding the same pattern as you.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I know this is an old thread, it didn’t want to start yet another one on the same theme.

I’ve been testing my ketones using (in date) ketosticks once a week or so, as I’m new to keto/LCHF. My blood glucose levels are in range, but I’m getting the maximum level of ketones on the sticks. Should I be worried? I feel better than I have for years, and have none of the DKA symptoms. I’m losing weight slowly, at around 1-2lbs a week, keeping hydrated. The glucose indicator on the sticks is negative, I don’t have ketone breath and I’m not urinating excessively. I’ve had two near fatal episodes of DKA (in 2012), so I know what it feels like and the signs. They were due to missed insulin doses when I had an infection and a dose of flu. I know there is euglycaemic DKA that doesn’t have high glucose levels, and I’ve read the article on that that was posted in another thread. Wouldn’t I feel unwell if I had that? I’ve got loads more energy since starting this way of eating, keep my carbs to less than 40g a day, most of my chronic fatigue and pain has eased significantly.

I’d be interested to hear what the hive mind thinks of this :)

Reactions: Lilllaura87

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
*bump*

How often should I be testing for ketosis? Daily? Weekly?

I have been LCHF for a month and only tested once.. I was 0.3 but put it down to early days...

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I test two or three times a week, with blood sticks now. I’m getting readings of 1.5-2.5mmol pretty consistently. I suspect my very high readings on the ketostix could have been dehydration.

Reactions: CranberryIce

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long after starting the keto diet did it take you to see those levels of nutritional ketosis?

I am learning everyday and know I need to add more fat to my diet.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m not sure, to be honest. I starte in in January and was using wee sticks until I got the blood sticks in March, by which time I was scoring nutritional ketosis levels.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How long after starting the keto diet did it take you to see those levels of nutritional ketosis?

I am learning everyday and know I need to add more fat to my diet.

Days, but the wee sticks only shows ketones your body is not using, so can give false negatives. Remember that having a reading over trace is not of more benifit.

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Days, but the wee sticks only shows ketones your body is not using, so can give false negatives. Remember that having a reading over trace is not of more benifit.

hm so If I have not reached Ketosis yet then am I doing something wrong?

I will test again tom on an empty stomach..

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Unless you are using a keystones meter it may just be the test strip not working, as they are designed to detect high readings not low readings.

But why do you care about the reading?

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a meter.

Don’t think I care enough... I am pleased with how my BG levels have settled and I am dropping pounds each week... so must be doing something right :)

Reactions: rom35